• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southern "Bear" Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After I cut out the bears head and the fish and silver soldered them together I wondered if the contrast was going to be a little too much. I even thought previous to that of cutting out another bear design for the cheek piece. I decided against that because it would take the eye away from the wood itself.

I never have minded going off the beaten path in design when working on a project. That may upset some and interest others but in the end it is just me I am trying to satisfy. As long as I am in my workshop making wood chips and sawdust I am a happy person.

Barry

Of Course the bear and fish contrast is waaay to much...,

Until it's not.....,

One guy might look at that piece of art, which is "Americana" if I'm not too mistaken, and say, "Gee, I wish it wasn't ruined with that patch box done that way"...,

And the next guy that comes along you may need a restraining order because he bugs you so much to sell it to him, because he loves the way you did the patch box....

ART is ART. So make wood chips and produce what makes you happy, and worry not. :thumb:

LD

Thank you for you kind comments.

That piece of wood has been hanging around in my shop for about 35 years. I really had in mind a Bethlehem style of rifle but finally changed my mind to a simple "Southern" style of rifle and just let the simple lines and figure of the wood be the main drawing card of the rifle.

After I cut out the bears head and the fish and silver soldered them together I wondered if the contrast was going to be a little too much. I even thought previous to that of cutting out another bear design for the cheek piece. I decided against that because it would take the eye away from the wood itself.

I never have minded going off the beaten path in design when working on a project. That may upset some and interest others but in the end it is just me I am trying to satisfy. As long as I am in my workshop making wood chips and sawdust I am a happy person.

I wish someday I could be a master at it but I know it will never happen. The big plus is that I have lots of wood, barrels and components to keep me busy until the grim reaper comes around . . . hopefully not soon!

Some details of the rifle;
Barrel Rice 15/16 x 42" x .50 cal. 1:66 twist square grooves
Davis Late English lock
Davis Double set triggers
Nose cap and RR end out of Buffalo horn
This ain't a little boys rifle at a shade under nine pounds!

From the comments above it says I have totally screwed up! I should have made the bears head out of German silver and the fish out of iron.
You see, this was made for going after Polar Bear. You know, two patched balls and 150 grains of powder and a MAN on the trigger! : )

Now, if you want to hear more about Polar bear hunting just give me a minute and I'll make it up. . .

You should see that mean wife of mine when she goes bear hunting all she needs is a switch.

Barry

Thanks for the details, Barry. In spite of your modesty, you're a true craftsman in my book! I have to buy mine already built. Can't even manage a kit. I just never developed the skill sets.

Walt

The rifle is beautiful. Expertly made, and it shows a lot of creativity!

I believe traditionally the southern riflemakers, especially in the mountains, were willing to think "a little out of the box" when given free rein by the patrons who could afford it.

Thanks for sharing that rifle with us, Barry! It shows you are a master of the craft.

Notchy Bob

Wow! You guys are really giving me more credit than I am due.

I am fast approaching 80 years old and am very glad I am still able to enjoy my workshop.

I do not do consignment work I only build what I want to build. That makes it easy for me
to not have a deadline and someone badgering me to finish. No pressure, I am a slow builder.

Now I have to decide what style to build next.
I have a few in mind but not too sure at this moment.

On another bright note I was packing the RV for a trip to a three day shoot at Breirfield
State Park. I leave Thursday morning.

Life is good guys, enjoy it all you can!
Barry

I think I read somewhere that a son of Daniel Boone said his dad had a rifle in .60 plus caliber. Rich Pierce's excellent book has not only southern mountain rifles but also long barrel pistols under .50 caliber. Those modern ones made .50 or bigger can be uncomfortable to shoot with the deep crescent butt plates. Wonder how this related to smaller calibers for the rifles.

I think I read somewhere that a son of Daniel Boone said his dad had a rifle in .60 plus caliber. Rich Pierce's excellent book has not only southern mountain rifles but also long barrel pistols under .50 caliber. Those modern ones made .50 or bigger can be uncomfortable to shoot with the deep crescent butt plates. Wonder how this related to smaller calibers for the rifles.
If the deep crescent hurts your shoulder, you're holding it wrong. You don't Shoulder, you place it just outside your shoulder, on your arm. I have a .62 caliber I can shoot numerous times and it doesn't hurt. I'm 70 years old!

Yeah, I love the look of a southern rifle but find them uncomfortable to shoot. I know they are meant to shoot on the arm, just off shoulder but spent much of my shooting time with large bore/caliber unmentionables. Learnt pretty quick to NOT put on arm, LOL, just doesn't feel right to me shooting that way. Would love to have one someday though, in a .40.

Thingamajiggy

I agree with you on the .40 caliber in both rifle and pistol. I have built more guns of that caliber than any other.
Yes, learning to use a target shooters stance instead of a hunters stance takes quite a bit of practice. When I was very young I found out what the design of the Bethlehem style was made for.
That was my very first longrifle. The stock had extreme drop to the butt and a short length of pull. In combination with a pronounced arc to the buttplate forced me to hold the rifle in a target shooting position. That is, head vertical for best body balance, sideways to the target and with my elbow vertically under the forestock.
If you observe Olympic shooters in position you can see what I am talking about.
Most "modern" shooters learn to shoot in a modified shotgunners stance which is quite different. If you get behind one and observe you will notice they are leaning into the gun, head bent over at an angle and body about 30 to 45 degrees angled to the target. That is a good position for moving targets but not so much for one that is stationary.
Since you have an interest in the southern style of rifle go ahead and grab one. I think you will surprise yourself how comfortable they are to shoot when you get used to the different method of holding a rifle. Yes, I know the different style of shooting is difficult to change to after shooting for 50 years in the hunting style of offhand shooting.
May your shots be all 10x !
Barry

Wow! You guys are really giving me more credit than I am due.

I am fast approaching 80 years old and am very glad I am still able to enjoy my workshop.

I do not do consignment work I only build what I want to build. That makes it easy for me
to not have a deadline and someone badgering me to finish. No pressure, I am a slow builder.

Now I have to decide what style to build next.
I have a few in mind but not too sure at this moment.

On another bright note I was packing the RV for a trip to a three day shoot at Breirfield
State Park. I leave Thursday morning.

Life is good guys, enjoy it all you can!
Barry
Nice rifle Barry ! I'm getting the same way as I age (73). My dad used to say "that person is independent as a hog on Ice" ! 😄

If the deep crescent hurts your shoulder, you're holding it wrong. You don't Shoulder, you place it just outside your shoulder, on your arm. I have a .62 caliber I can shoot numerous times and it doesn't hurt. I'm 70 years old!
David is correct. Crescents should be pulled into your upper arm, not your shoulder. Done properly it's not a problem.

Back