• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

southern gun/hog rifle question,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember as a kid hearing stories about my great grandfather’s ‘hog rifle’. I never saw the gun, don’t know where it went and sadly, the folks who knew are all gone now. As far as I know, there aren’t any pictures of it either.

All I know about it are from stories I remember hearing as a kid. Apparently, it was a percussion long rifle of thirty something caliber and used for killing domestic hogs for slaughter. We had ‘hawg killins’ up into the 1970’s but by then were using a .22 rifle.

I suspect great grandfather’s hog rifle may have been made in southeast Kentucky, East Tennessee or Western North Carolina since that’s where our family is from. But that’s only a guess.

Oops , forgot something.....Since pigs were traditionally very hard to drive from one place to another , and a PITA to keep fed around the home , they were allowed to forage in the woods on their own. It is written , that multi family hogs hunts were conducted , putting as many guns in the woods to kill driven hogs. Perhaps a HOG rifle could have been used for barn duty , as well as one of the "extra" guns given to a kid , or somebody that had no regular gun. This info comes from testimony out of a Fox fire book , and from info written about early settlers in Somerset Co. , Pa. , circa pre American Rev war.

One of the descendants of Alvin York, the WWI hero, explained to me that a "Hog rifle" refers to any hunting rifle most often used on wild or semi-wild swine throughout southern Appalachia. Usually, Tennessee or Southern Mountain types. Flintlock or percussion. Generally, .40 to .45 caliber, sometimes .50, round ball shooter. In more modern times, that meaning has been expanded to include others as have been mentioned above.

I remember as a kid hearing stories about my great grandfather’s ‘hog rifle’. I never saw the gun, don’t know where it went and sadly, the folks who knew are all gone now. As far as I know, there aren’t any pictures of it either.

All I know about it are from stories I remember hearing as a kid. Apparently, it was a percussion long rifle of thirty something caliber and used for killing domestic hogs for slaughter. We had ‘hawg killins’ up into the 1970’s but by then were using a .22 rifle.

I suspect great grandfather’s hog rifle may have been made in southeast Kentucky, East Tennessee or Western North Carolina since that’s where our family is from. But that’s only a guess.
maybe the rifles for that area were Kibler SMR,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:)

Be a cool kit for sure. Problem I see is the same process would be used and thus the expense required would remain close to the same. Lower grade wood might shave a few dollars and the lack of double set triggers as well as the lack of a nose piece but willing to bet the overall price would stay pretty close to what is offered.

Latest posts

Back