• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54cal

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a small game rifle preferably a.36 cal. as that is the largest we can use for small game in this state. I have a .54 Hawken for deer and shooting at the range. Not looking to spend a lot maybe aroun $200, any ideas? Thanks Roger

If you can find a used CVA sqirrel, take it. Otherwise I would recommend a Traditions small game hunter in .32.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I'm not sure what state you live in since you did not tell us.

A .36 is perfect for a sqirrel rifle. You can use 000 busck shot and buy it in a 5 lb. bag. which is a lot cheaper than buying a box of 100.

I do not know what quality rifle to expect for only $200. That's pretty cheap these days.

Forgot to say I live in NJ, na dthey have some pretty weird laws. There are a lot of tree huggers here. Roger

Hey, I am from South Jersey the laws with the muzzleloading squirrel season are peculiar it took me a while to figure out that my hunting area was within the allowed area. In any case I am shooting a .36 cal Hopkins & Allen underhammer that I built from a kit which came from Deer Creek Products a couple of years ago their phone# is (765)525-6181 and it is Irwin who you will speak to. The rifle is a lot of fun and very accurate.

Ivoryhunter, Thanks for the info, yeah I know the way they write the laws are very confusing.

I'd recommend a TC seneca or cherokee in 32 or 36 caliber. They come up for sale here every once in a while. You will have to pay more than $200, but it will be worth it. The 36 Seneca I have is a real tack driver. The 32 cherokee I have doesn't cause any meat damage when using 20 grains of 3F Goex.

I've got a Deer Creek catalog that shows a CVA squirrel rifle,.36 cal perc. for $179.00. I thought about getting one for myself but I'm saving all my coins for my first flinter.I own a couple of CVA's and overall they're O.K. for what you pay for them.

Forcon, Does Deer Creek have a website or how do I get ahold of them or their catalog. Thanks. Roger

Hey 54 Cal,
The phone number for Deer Creek is 765-525-6181. Deer Creek Products
PO Box 246
6989 E. Michigan Road
Waldron, IN 46182

They are very nice people to deal with.
Later,
Forcon

Back