• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SQUIRREL HUNTING RIG

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is one more rifle and rig I own. It's .45 caliber but I do use it for squirrel hunting.

It's a Dikar so not everyone's favorite but shoots very well.

The bag and horn are from Cory Joe Stewart, one of my favorite makers.

Jeff

IMG_0067 (5).jpg

Here is one more rifle and rig I own. It's .45 caliber but I do use it for squirrel hunting.

It's a Dikar so not everyone's favorite but shoots very well.

The bag and horn are from Cory Joe Stewart, one of my favorite makers.

Jeff

View attachment 337505
Nothing wrong with that rifle. I've had many a Jukar .45 KY rifles, pretty much the same thing, and loved them all and they shoot great. The only one I have now I bought new old stock ten years ago and it's never been fired. I'll get around to breaking her in one day...

Tim, I like those blocks, if you are ever making them for sale I’d buy a few.
Well thanks. That's what I do; make muzzleloader and bushcraft stuff. I work with leather, wood, natural materials, do a little knife making and such. Thinking about seeing what it costs to be able to sell here on the forum. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. So in the mean time I sell my stuff at different weekend events. Etsy, and eBay. Stuff like that. Until I set up shop here any of you guys can PM me if you need anything.

Now fellas, please try not to laugh too much. Truth be known, my squirrel tools couldn’t make a pimple on the behind of some of Y’all’s fancy rifles. I reckon that’s just how it is.

With that said, ole Mr. C on the left has more than earned his keep. He and I fought like cats and dogs for quite some time. Good thing both of us was too durn stubborn to give one inch. It was only by mutual agreement that we are still “as one” when in the woods.

You see, Ole Mr. C and I have a lot in common. We’ve booth been through hell, we both the have battle scares to prove it, and the both of us loves what we do. Also, neither one of us are high quality or good looking, but dang if we don’t get the job done.

In terms of my new Crockett, although I bought it as a spare, soon I’ll have it set up identical to Mr. C.

Ya know, every now and then, I don’t mind seeing double.😁

Attachments

• IMG_2396.jpeg
    IMG_2396.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Now fellas, please try not to laugh too much. Truth be known, my squirrel tools couldn’t make a pimple on the behind of some of Y’all’s fancy rifles. I reckon that’s just how it is.

With that said, ole Mr. C on the left has more than earned his keep. He and I fought like cats and dogs for quite some time. Good thing both of us was too durn stubborn to give one inch. It was only by mutual agreement that we are still “as one” when in the woods.

You see, Ole Mr. C and I have a lot in common. We’ve booth been through hell, we both the have battle scares to prove it, and the both of us loves what we do. Also, neither one of us are high quality or good looking, but dang if we don’t get the job done.

In terms of my new Crockett, all though I bought it as a spare, soon I’ll have it set up identical to Mr. C.

I love em ETipp.

Mr. and Mrs. "C" Go to the Woods.

You are "C"ing double.

You see, Ole Mr C and I have a lot in common. We’ve booth been through hell, and we both the have battle scares to prove it, and the both of us loves what we do.

In terms of my new Crockett, all though I bought it as a spare, soon I’ll have it set up identical to Mr. C.

I like them Ed. I am considering a Crockett myself. I think the balance is better than any of the rifles I use now.

I like them Ed. I am considering a Crockett myself. I think the balance is better than any of the rifles I use now.
I believe you be very pleased with a Crockett Rifle. I know I am. I read a lot of good about them. I was thinking about getting one, then, after talking to Ed, I placed my oder.

Finally had a couple minutes to take a few pics. Don't know how they are gonna look but, if too dark, I'll try again in the morrow.

This is my CVA .36 squirrel rifle. This is the one I've mentioned in the GunBroker discussions where I was outright lied to by the seller. Was allegedly built from a kit, put in a safe, and never fired. Could tell by the pictures that wasn't true but got it cheap enough I thought it just might be worth it. After a couple of hours and dozens of patches I got all the black funk out of the barrel, properly aligned the hammer (the lip of the hammer was hitting center of nipple), and installed the front sight that fell off when it came out of the box. And there is a crack on the bottom of the stock that runs from the nose cap to the trigger guard. Can't do anything about that but it's holding together fine. All that aside, this is one of my favorite rifles. Not the prettiest but man she shoots great. Been decimating the local armadillo population with it this summer.

As for the kit, there are a few "first". The bag is one of the first ones I made when I got started in leather working and had no idea what I was doing. It was one of the three that I made one day at the dining room table the day I decided I wanted to do such things. Made out of cheap pre-dyed hobby lobby leather and way to small for a shooting pouch. I ended up keeping it as I sure didn't think it would sell. Turns out I really like it years later. The knife and sheath on the strap were also the first I ever made years ago. It's ugly but cuts patch and skins small critters with the best of them. The poplar loading block attached to the bag was probably the first of those I made when still learning. A tin of caps, a tin of my own patch lube, and a small brass powder flask. I don't know how much powder it holds but way more than enough for a day of squirreling. If I'm able to make it to Ed's squirreldezvouz I'll bring a regular small horn.

Notice a theme here: I might be the cheapest man alive so, when I'm learning to make a new product, or something turns out that I don't want to send it to a customer, it ends up being mine. My view is it is good enough for me. I'll get my other couple small game rigs posted in the next couple days.
Also, forgot to mention, the padded canvas sleeve for the rifle was made for me by my lovely wife. Planning to dye it light brown but all the black art will still show. I love that woman...

Attachments

• IMG_20240809_200522321.jpg
    IMG_20240809_200522321.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240809_200537959.jpg
    IMG_20240809_200537959.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240809_200512034.jpg
    IMG_20240809_200512034.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240809_200422454.jpg
    IMG_20240809_200422454.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240809_200308473.jpg
    IMG_20240809_200308473.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240809_200248147.jpg
    IMG_20240809_200248147.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Finally had a couple minutes to take a few pics. Don't know how they are gonna look but, if too dark, I'll try again in the morrow.

This is my CVA .36 squirrel rifle. This is the one I've mentioned in the GunBroker discussions where I was outright lied to by the seller. Was allegedly built from a kit, put in a safe, and never fired. Could tell by the pictures that wasn't true but got it cheap enough I thought it just might be worth it. After a couple of hours and dozens of patches I got all the black funk out of the barrel, properly aligned the hammer (the lip of the hammer was hitting center of nipple), and installed the front sight that fell off when it came out of the box. And there is a crack on the bottom of the stock that runs from the nose cap to the trigger guard. Can't do anything about that but it's holding together fine. All that aside, this is one of my favorite rifles. Not the prettiest but man she shoots great. Been decimating the local armadillo population with it this summer.

As for the kit, there are a few "first". The bag is one of the first ones I made when I got started in leather working and had no idea what I was doing. It was one of the three that I made one day at the dining room table the day I decided I wanted to do such things. Made out of cheap pre-dyed hobby lobby leather and way to small for a shooting pouch. I ended up keeping it as I sure didn't think it would sell. Turns out I really like it years later. The knife and sheath on the strap were also the first I ever made years ago. It's ugly but cuts patch and skins small critters with the best of them. The poplar loading block attached to the bag was probably the first of those I made when still learning. A tin of caps, a tin of my own patch lube, and a small brass powder flask. I don't know how much powder it holds but way more than enough for a day of squirreling. If I'm able to make it to Ed's squirreldezvouz I'll bring a regular small horn.

Notice a theme here: I might be the cheapest man alive so, when I'm learning to make a new product, or something turns out that I don't want to send it to a customer, it ends up being mine. My view is it is good enough for me. I'll get my other couple small game rigs posted in the next couple days.
Also, forgot to mention, the padded canvas sleeve for the rifle was made for me by my lovely wife. Planning to dye it light brown but all the black art will still show. I love that woman...
That's cool Tim. I like everything thing I see there. I hope ya can make to Kentucky and hunt with Ole ETipp and the boys.

That's cool Tim. I like everything thing I see there. I hope ya can make to Kentucky and hunt with Ole ETipp and the boys.
Thanks. I truly hope I can make that trip. Looks like quite a bit of interest from several guys here I'd like to meet. If I can't make it this year I hope you guys have a good enough time to do it again next year. Maybe life will be a bit more manageable by then. Besides, I've never killed a Kentucky squirrel. Gotta find out if they taste like Tennessee squirrel...

I forgot to mention that Altoids tin. It isn't the standard size. Saw it years ago at the Walmart checkout and thought I would have a use for a tiny Altoids tin some day. So it's got some ball grease in it, some greased patches, and usually a dozen balls. A few less this time as the missing three or four balls accounted for a small herd of possums on the half shell...

I forgot to mention that Altoids tin. It isn't the standard size. Saw it years ago at the Walmart checkout and thought I would have a use for a tiny Altoids tin some day. So it's got some ball grease in it, some greased patches, and usually a dozen balls. A few less this time as the missing three or four balls accounted for a small herd of possums on the half shell...
Possum on the half shell. Some folks look at me kinda funny when say that.
I've met a few folks down here in Florida that enjoy eating them. I have never tried them.

Everything looks great.

Squirrel season in Tennessee opens August 24. I’ve usually used a .60 caliber Fusil de Chasse in the past but I might use this .62 caliber Chambers smooth rifle this year. 65 grains of 3f with same amount of #6 shot. (or maybe a Jukar .45 caliber rifle🤔)

7FF0CF7C-951C-4B53-B188-E37B2AB2E061.jpeg

Squirrel season in Tennessee opens August 24. I’ve usually used a .60 caliber Fusil de Chasse in the past but I might use this .62 caliber Chambers smooth rifle this year. (or maybe a Jukar .45 caliber rifle🤔)

View attachment 340580
Did you get your .45 patterned with small charges? Seems like I recall you saying it did better with bigger loads. That .62 tis a sweet looking gun.

Back