• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

squirreling with the double.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hadn't thought about it, mostly because I'm no longer in the Land of Squirrels. But a 12 double would be outstanding for its versatility.

I use mine a lot for snowshoe hare along the margins of thick and thin cover. If they veer into the thick cover I use my left barrel loaded with 7/8 oz of #6 shot. If they break out across open ground I use my right barrel with its 1 1/4 oz charge of #5's. Purely guesswork, but I'm guessing I'd use much the same combo on squirrels close and far.

Dang Britt, I think you need something more challenging. ...I use to hunt squirrels with a double barrel 410 ...but with your sucess..maybe a matchlock. :hmm:

How's the pooch for squirrel hunting? Will she bark and run them up trees and then follow them if they cut across the tops?

I grew up with squirrel dogs, but they were mostly rat or fox terriers. They all took to squirrel hunting naturally, but some were definitely better than others. Any of them will take a squirrel up a tree and bark, but some don't get the idea that those little devils don't always stay in the same tree.

Spikebuck said:
How's the pooch for squirrel hunting? Will she bark and run them up trees and then follow them if they cut across the tops?

I grew up with squirrel dogs, but they were mostly rat or fox terriers. They all took to squirrel hunting naturally, but some were definitely better than others. Any of them will take a squirrel up a tree and bark, but some don't get the idea that those little devils don't always stay in the same tree.
She is too keen and over runs them, I think she will get it in time. I sometimes tie her to me forcing her to watch. She thinks her speed is a panacea!

B.

Deputy Dog said:
Congratulations Brit, that's a nice brace of grays. Did I see feathers in the photo or is that a third squirrel hiding behind the other two? robin :wink:
Yes sir, it is a wood pigeon in the mix. Said bird is part of a Canada goose/wood pigeon meat loaf.

B.

My 2 best squirrel dogs were both 100 lb German Shepherds.... a little overkill but those big ears and keen noses really did the job.....along w/ excellent eyesight. These 2 dogs were also excellent grouse flushers. They were also the smartest dogs among the 2 dozen dogs I've owned which were mainly English Setters used for grouse. Seeing both Shepherds were "opportunists", many raccoons also fell prey to their hunting prowess.

The worst 2 squirrel dogs were both Airedales....they never caught on as to where the squirrels disappeared to....never looked up in the trees. I guess the terrier part of these 2 Airedales was just too strong....too bad squirrels don't go to ground. These 2 dogs were also the dumbest dogs I've had.

Nice shooting and are those gray squirrels? The rust color on their backs really looks good and would be very unusual w/ the many squirrels that I've shot...Fred

Back