• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrels.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I noticed some squirrel hitting the beech nuts this week.
Them being vermin over here and I rifling fox's all week with the 17HMR I needed a return to a purer form of shooting. Time to break out the 45šŸ™‚.
Loaded with 3/4 oz of #7 and about 50gns of the finest grade I can get my sticky fingers on I set of looking for squirrels.

Then another.

I got four today then a huge shower soaked us!
My little 45 šŸ˜
20210815_165142.jpg

Thatā€™s about like shooting a 410 shotgun Iā€™d say. Nice gun. Is it a smooth bore?

Makes me think I should try my 50 caliber Kentucky rifle with shot on squirrels sometime.

Shooting squirrels here this time of year is just boringly easy just sit under a pecan tree and you'll have your limit in less than an hour.

There are a few very large pecan trees on my property all I have to do is walk in sit on a stool let the critters calm down a bit and normally I can get my limit out of one tree which is six.

The squirrels are starting to hit the hickory trees in my area now that the nuts are ripe. Our early squirrel season starts Sept. 1, and I have been getting my gear ready and been out a few times shooing my .32 NC flinter to get ready for the season. Only hope the weather moderates some, cause it is too hot and muggy to be out in the woods, and the bugs are really bad.

Shooting squirrels here this time of year is just boringly easy just sit under a pecan tree and you'll have your limit in less than an hour.
Too damn hot around here to be in the woods. They moved up our squirrel opener to mid September, and it's still too hot even then. I tried it last year, no thanks. Plus too much foliage. Ill wait until early October before going after them this year.

Too damn hot around here to be in the woods. They moved up our squirrel opener to mid September, and it's still too hot even then. I tried it last year, no thanks. Plus too much foliage. Ill wait until early October before going after them this year.
The season here in Missouri runs from May 31 to January of the following year. The temps aren't too bad here right now but that could change by tomorrow.

We were in the middle 90s last week with dew points around the 65 to 68 range. It was sweltering and miserable. I can't imagine it being comfortable in the woods even if the temp is a few degrees cooler in the shade of the trees. Add to that the incessant bugs and spider webs everywhere. No way. šŸ‘Ž

We were in the middle 90s last week with dew points around the 65 to 68 range. It was sweltering and miserable. I can't imagine it being comfortable in the woods even if the temp is a few degrees cooler in the shade of the trees. Add to that the incessant bugs and spider webs everywhere. No way. šŸ‘Ž
Only around 70f here.

Did the .45 start out as a smooth bore? I don't remember any commercial smooth rifle here, except the TC .56 Renegade. Perhaps the offerings are different for places with different rules. Regardless-nice looking rifle, and a nice looking squirrel.

Did the .45 start out as a smooth bore? I don't remember any commercial smooth rifle here, except the TC .56 Renegade. Perhaps the offerings are different for places with different rules. Regardless-nice looking rifle, and a nice looking squirrel.
Yes sir. Many in Europe were made smoothbore. Some countries like the UK, a shotgun licence IS granted to an applicant. A licence for a rifle often requires a demonstration of a need for one, or a good reason must be given or some kind of hunting test maybe required etc etc.

Back