• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starter gun 12 year old girl

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would be a good starter gun for 12 year old girl.She wants to hunt deer with dad next year.Fourty five cal.minimum.Thought about CVA Bobcat or T/C treehawk.Needs to be light and short.

i would recamend a .45 underhammer buggy rifle.
it meets all your requirments short light. plus the cap is not on the side to discourage a new shooter plus it works for a right or left hander and has a very fast lock time.

How tall is she, and what does she weigh?
How tall do you believe she'll get?

I am of the openion you are best to put one togather yourself. It can be done with very good parts for not a whole lot of money.
If you'd like some tips, e-mail me directly. Click on my name and my address will come up.
:)
Good hunting
Steve Zihn

Ernie said:
How do I check PM? Computer illerterate here.

Ditto.

If PM isn't personal email, can someone explain it to me? I've worked with computers, and I can't figure it out. Nothing obvious in the FAQ section and the search rejects any string less than four characters. Email, or I'm turning blind??

At the top of the page on the left you will see
MY HOME. Click on that and you will see
View Private Topics. That is what is being refered to as a PM (Private Message. If you have one you will see a flasihing icon at the top right next to MEMBERS. Hope this is understandable.

Ernie,
Just a thought here. The TC New Englander might be a decent choice. While not light (8#) it is fairly short (26" barrel) and is a do-all gun. CAn be had in .50 and .54 cal. You can also put a 12 guage barrel on it for small game. I have one, and while not my favorite rifle, it is the one I carry most in the deer woods. A decent shooter. A gun she could grow up with. Often seen on the auctions.

Rebel said:
At the top of the page on the left you will see
MY HOME. ... Hope this is understandable.

Thanks Rebel, that did the trick. I guess I'm having a senior moment.

My granddaughter who is 12, is 5 foot 6 inches tall, weighs 120 pounds, is very athletic, and handles my old CVA Big Bore .54 just fine. I just have her load it with lighter loads.

Dont underestimate a 12 year old girl, most of em are tougher than a horseradish milkshake.

If she can handle the weight of a heavier gun, that is a good choice IMO because it won't kick as hard as one of the little light weight guns.

One of the surest ways to assure a miss by her is to get a light weight gun that hurts her when she fires it with a hunting load. She will be subconciously thinking about the hard kick and the pain and will not be able to shoot well.

I would look for one of the Traditions, CVA or Thompson Center guns that weigh about 7 1/2-8 pounds.
Even with a hunting load IMO these guns in .45 caliber are a joy to shoot with very little felt recoil.

zonie :)

The Lyman Deerstalker is 7 lbs, and has a 24" barrel. The Traditions Deerhunter is 6lbs, and also has a 24" barrel. They have a 1 in 48" twist and shoot round balls very well. With the round ball and 70-80g of ffg, they don't kick much. I have the Lyman and my wife has the Traditions. They are good rifles.

Good for you. My girls hunt whitetails (successfully) but use modern arms. I'm working on it. I second Zonie, a heavier gun, less kick. Also check prior threads for shooting sticks, an easy way to offset the weight.
bramble

I recently"acquired" a free cva kentucky from my sister neighbor, who was just looking to get rid of it, and since I do accept free firearms. Iwas looking for a cheap gun to shorten both teh front and back for my six year old. Shortened the barrel to 23in and took about an inch from the stock, next step is to refinish the thing and the littel is happy to have her own rifle. Its still a little long but she will grow into it. Maybe this is an idea for you.

"Dont underestimate a 12 year old girl, most of em are tougher than a horseradish milkshake."

I could have sworn you were talking about my daughter! (She started shooting a 1911 when she was eight years old!) Thanks, that's the most I've laughed in a loooonnnggg time!

Enjoy today

Traditions makes a nice tennesse rifle. I bought one for my 11yr old son for christmas last year. This is a full stock 50cal rifle with double tennons for removing the barrel. The overall length is 40" and weighs about 6#. It also has some nice brass accents. I started my son with a very light load with prb. and he has worked up to 70gr.of FFF with no problems. I have as much fun watching these kids get involved as I do shooting. Good luck

Thanks for all the advice everyone.My 18 year old got her 1st deer this year now the 12 year old,who said she would never shoot anything,wants to hunt next yesr.

Latest posts

Back