• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starting fires with patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patch or wad of cotton , step on it after shooting it ...youll see it smoldering .... For wadding that won't burn or smolder , hornets nest , the outside covering ....green grass and plantain leaves too , I like em

Last edited:
Siringo, out west most of our shooting is done on large ranches. We’re shooting trails over dry leaves and twigs. We have lost one site due to a fire which almost got away caused by a grease (bore butter) patch. If a spit patch is smoldering that person is not getting it wet at all. At many rendezvous pre-lubed are also not allowed.
Doc,
I make a habit of reading patches. The only time I had a burning patch was using the Dutch Shultz method. Now maybe the difference in burning patches is caused by fellows shooting loose combinations. A loose patch allows powder flame to shoot around the patched ball like a blow torch. With my combo I don’t want any burn holes in my patches. Which necessitates wiping between shots. I know that woods walkers don’t want to wipe.

I soaked some ticking overnight in a saturated solution of straight borax and water. After it dried completely I cut off a bunch of fraying strings and made a ball with them. It won't burn. I tried to light it with a butane lighter and when the flame is taken away it goes out. Borax is cheap and found in the laundry isle.

Latest posts

Back