• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

starting load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom hudson

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a couple of quality 32 cal. percussion rifles. These guys are unfired - I have owned these for around 25 years - i'm thinking it's about time to see how they shoot - could i get a starting load to use - what powder, cap etc. I'm a long time gun guy but haven't shot black powder in 40 years

tom hudson said:
I have a couple of quality 32 cal. percussion rifles. These guys are unfired - I have owned these for around 25 years - i'm thinking it's about time to see how they shoot - could i get a starting load to use - what powder, cap etc. I'm a long time gun guy but haven't shot black powder in 40 years

Hello and WELCOME to our group. You will find several knowledgable members here. Sometimes, I even get things right!

for a .32, I would start with 15 gr 3Fg Goex and work up in 5 gr. increments. Try a .300 ball and a .015 lubed patch. Every bore is different and you will find you neeed to experiment with the patch/ball size. You will get many suggestions on what lube, ball, powder charge, and patch to use, believe me.

#11 caps are about standard for rifles. You do not need magnum caps in a small caliber rifle.

Welcome to the forum. In my .32 the accuracy load is 30 grains of Goex 3f. You can certainly go down to 10 or 15 grains to duplicate a .22LR and up to 35 or even 40 grains. The middle ground is probably a better bet. 30grns is about like a .22mag.

Thanks guys - now what is Goex? - is that a brand of regular Black Powder or is it? sorry about the Rookie question but like i said i have been away from Black Powder for years - tom

Yes, Goex is a regular black powder. Other brands are Swiss, KIK, and Graf & Sons.

thank you sir - i'll have to pick some up - i have everything else - the Tennessee Valley is a deluxe poor boy - really is a beautiful rifle as is. I'm going to do some engraving on it but keep it in a brown finish.

Tom, if you can get the search feature figured out, there's been a couple of long discussions on .32 loads recently. I think one was about a .32 Crockett. Some good reading there.

Tom...

While I'd recommend the use of REAL black powder in your .32 caliber rifles, cap-locks (aka "percussion cap rifles") can also use Pyrodex (sp?) artifical black powder.

When you go to the gun stores looking for REAL black powder, you probably won't find anyone carries it anymore due to it being rated an "explosive" rather than a "gun powder", but they will probably have Pyrodex Black Powder substitute on hand.

The higher heat (compared to a flintlock) generated by the #11 percussion cap will set off either Pyrodex or real black powder with ease... so if you can't get any REAL black powder, it's ok to use the Pyrodex in your percussion cap rifles.

However, do NOT buy any substitute black powder pressed into those little "disks"... from what I've seen, percussion cap rifles have a hard time setting those "powder disks" off.

I believe the powder disks were designed for use in the more modern "in-line" muzzle loading rifles which use a 209 shotgun primer in place of a percussion cap. The 209 primer throws a MUCH HOTTER flame than does a percussion cap... thus it is able to set off the powder disks.

Good luck in your new (old) hobby... :v

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

I have a rifle in .32 I built, and I use 20 grs. of FFFg, A .315 ball and .010 patch lubed with mink oil. Such a diminutive caliber is not effective for anything but small game, and this low charge does not ruin much meat.
But I DO plan on loading it up to about 40 grs. for coyote.
Have fun!! They're a gas to shoot! :thumbsup:
:photoSmile:

I'm going to pick up some today - i'll see whats available here in town - i'm sure there will some place in Sacramento to buy black powder but this is Kalifornia! You can'i assume anything here!

Tom: Call first before wasting time traveling from one gun store to the next. Or contact Goex, on -line, and find a distributor for your State. Call them on their 800 number, and have them tell you where your nearest retail supplier is located.

If you don't belong to a BP gun club, think about joining one. Most clubs have the members order their powder together, so that they can all benefit from reduced prices per lb. by buying a Case ( 25 lbs.) or more at a time. You can get powder for as little as $13-$14 per lb. buying it by the case, where it could cost you over $20.00 per lb. buying it retail one pound at a time.

And, Join the NMLRA. We need your company, and your support. The National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association publishes lists of their Charter Clubs in all the states, and then also publishes lists of State Representatives, that you can call to find out information- like where can I buy Black powder? Its website is full of information to help you, as well as its monthly magazine, Muzzle Blasts.

If you explore this website, you will find towards the top of the index a section marked" Member Resources". There you will find "Articles, Charts, and Links". Explore. The links can take you to many suppliers of goodies, and their on-line catalog so that you can find what you need, and compare pricing.

You also need to bookmark another site, by a member here, Bob Spenser's "Black Powder Notebook".
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/

Its full of information about shooting Black Powder, and you will find it invaluable.

For learning how to load and shoot your gun accurately, invest in Dutch Schoultz's Black powder Rifle Accuracy system.
http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

Dutch is also a member here, and the $19.95 charge he asks for his system is worth many times the cost, just in the time it will save you testing various components. I keep my copy of his system here, to help members who send in pictures of their spent patches and targets asking for advice on what is wrong, and how to fix it.

The only restriction( but an important one) on any .32 caliber MLer is the small weight of the ball( approx. 40-45 grains) The balls weighs about the same as a .22 LR BULLET, but has Nowhere NEAR the Ballistics Coefficient of that bullet. On a calm day, you can take the center out of targets at 100 yds, if you do your part. But on any kind of windy day, stick to targets inside 50 yds.

You are going to enjoy shooting those guns. :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
it appears some of the post on this thread have been deleted? I don't understand? - could a moderator let me know what we did or said that was wrong? I can't fix something if i don't know whats wrong -
thanks - tom

Thanks Mike - I took the Tenn. Valley rifle apart - glade I did ”“ corrosion was starting to setup in some area’s ”“ so I have everything cleaned up ”“ oiled up so I’m going to do a few more things to it & she will be good to go ”“ tom

I must apologize for the above statement ”“ no post have been removed here - I got this forum mixed up with another forum ”“ hell to get old! tom

I think you will find a load of 20 to 40 grains of Goex 3F will be what you are looking for.

Back