• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Still reading print media?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I grew up reading Outdoor Life, Field and Stream and Sports Afield and continued subscribing for many years, but eventually let them lapse because they dumbed them down so much and the quality of the writing became so poor. Just glossy pics, "where to go" articles and the writers pimping high tech stuff. The only mags in a print format that I subscribe to now are Muzzleloader and Traditional Bowhunter. Curious about the rest of you. Always looking for suggestions.

No. Have nothing against print media. Just too much of a nuisance and a strain with presbyopia and cataract onset. I've got four different glasses prescriptions, and I don't like wearing glasses. When I want to read something, if it's on Kindle, I load it to Kindle on my iPad then mirror it onto my TV, and read it there. Most publications' articles are republished online these days and if I wanted to read something in a magazine, that's probably how I'd try to read it: online and mirrored to my TV.

How many pictures of 44 Magnum cartridges lined up and such can a man look at in a lifetime? I reached my limit quite a few years ago. I still like the Black Powder Cartridge News which is the only magazine I take. I buy Muzzleloader magazine off the shelf once in awhile but it's getting to be repetitive too. It's an age thing, I guess.

I’ve quit magazines. I was a long time subscriber to the Backwoodsman. They would have muzzleloader and firearms articles in every issue. They featured self sufficient and survival articles plus tons of DIY. Just before the founder turned it over to Junior it started to change. By the time the founder died it was a different magazine altogether. Finally they priced me out of their market. It was a case of diminishing returns. The more it cost the less I got out of it.

I grew up reading Outdoor Life, Field and Stream and Sports Afield and continued subscribing for many years, but eventually let them lapse because they dumbed them down so much and the quality of the writing became so poor. Just glossy pics, "where to go" articles and the writers pimping high tech stuff. The only mags in a print format that I subscribe to now are Muzzleloader and Traditional Bowhunter. Curious about the rest of you. Always looking for suggestions.
I like Muzzleloader and also get Muzzle Blasts, along with all the usual modern gun magazines. I don't hunt nor fish, so never was too interested in F&S or Outdoor Life. Also, Gun Tests, which takes no advertising so calls a lemon a lemon!

Back