• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquirrelsaurusR

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Which type of wood was most commonly used for the stock of the English matchlock musket during its heyday, when it was the primary battlefield weapon?

beach was common on some loe end muskets walnut on others ,fruitwood on ones of a bet more costly.I have a 1630 / 40s musket with a black painted beach stock found near Plimoth MA

beach was common on some loe end muskets walnut on others ,fruitwood on ones of a bet more costly.I have a 1630 / 40s musket with a black painted beach stock found near Plimoth MA
Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

I have a 1630 / 40s musket with a black painted beach stock found near Plimoth MA

Hi Musketmart

Welcome to the Forum. Having stuck your head over the parapet and posted here you are immediately obliged to post pictures of all 1630/40 muskets currently in your possession, particularly those stocked in painted beechwood.

I assume you did read the Forum rules before you posted? The rule regarding pictures of 1630/40 muskets is in volume 6, item 368-B, sub clause 6 ::

best regards

Squire Robin
GHH

Back