• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

India Torador Matchlock Wall Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flint,
I suppose Eggerton was writing of what he saw, and yes, I too have barrels from the north, (Oudh I believe ) that show no twist.
I suppose also that in a country the size and with the diversity of India, there were likely many regional differences all running hand in hand.
Some of the "Omani" fluted barels also show no twist. (but some do!)
It could well be that Eggerton witnessed the manufacture of a type of lap welded barrel. The other form starts out very similar with the straws as he calls them, heated, twisted into a ribbon and then wound around a mandrel.

Maybe Rick could show his good example again!

Here is one of mine....
DSCN2900.JPG

All the best,
R.

Flint,
I suppose Eggerton was writing of what he saw, and yes, I too have barrels from the north, (Oudh I believe ) that show no twist.
I suppose also that in a country the size and with the diversity of India, there were likely many regional differences all running hand in hand.
Some of the "Omani" fluted barels also show no twist. (but some do!)
It could well be that Eggerton witnessed the manufacture of a type of lap welded barrel. The other form starts out very similar with the straws as he calls them, heated, twisted into a ribbon and then wound around a mandrel.

Maybe Rick could show his good example again!

Here is one of mine....View attachment 319939

All the best,
R.
I see you have some scientific wadding in smaller calibers I suppose you could use bunny currants ? with cannons I imagine there would be Elephants so be' proportionate' . Hmmm perhaps not . Might be considered a crappy idea .
Ime always tempered in my going by Eggerton as he likely got guns from all over but some would come as gifts & the doner only going on where He got it and what he in turn was told it was . Whatever the story I am fascinated by these twist & Damascus barrels its like theirs a bit of magic in them that ouses out the more you look into them. Wow getting poetic here but they are intriguing I think we all would agree on that.
Regards Rudyard

In the case of the wall gun, I shouldn't have used the word Damascus. There is no trace of twisted Damascus in the barrel that I can tell. Just some form of very tough iron. There were two other wall guns similar to mine at the same auction. When I drove to pick mine up, it was standing next to the other two waiting to be picked up. So I briefly looked at the other two. They looked virtually identical, except the difference in barrel length. Unlike the typical Torador we encounter, the barrels on these wall guns have very little taper. Which of course makes them heavier. But that was the general idea I guess. Like a heavy barreled target rifle.
As Pukka mentions, most of the typical Torador barrels I've encountered are twisted Damascus. Here is the barrel of my shooter after cleaning during restoration. The twist is very apparent.

Rick

In the case of the wall gun, I shouldn't have used the word Damascus. There is no trace of twisted Damascus in the barrel that I can tell. Just some form of very tough iron. There were two other wall guns similar to mine at the same auction. When I drove to pick mine up, it was standing next to the other two waiting to be picked up. So I briefly looked at the other two. They looked virtually identical, except the difference in barrel length. Unlike the typical Torador we encounter, the barrels on these wall guns have very little taper. Which of course makes them heavier. But that was the general idea I guess. Like a heavy barreled target rifle.
As Pukka mentions, most of the typical Torador barrels I've encountered are twisted Damascus. Here is the barrel of my shooter after cleaning during restoration. The twist is very apparent.

Rick
Dear Rick. At the risk of being pedantic Ide say 'Twist' is just 'twist' unless it shows the multy' finger print 'effect then its' Damascus' proper, If both have multy variants .The' Damascus' name I think was more to do with Swords from a Western angle And both I think are good . Now Where did I put my Squair student hat ?.
Regards Rudyard

What a Beauty ! Ime currently stocking up a very long & heavy barrel no idea origin but a twist & oriental looking rear sight . Ile solder on a pan but make no other additions like loops It came via the 'Correy' haul & was once drum & nippled yet its bore is excellent .No logic it just begged to be used up & when I pop off it will fetch more. And be fun in the interim.
Rascally Rudyard

Back