• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stolen Guns: Please read and pass along?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not often but my department has recovered guns stolen 20 or more years ago. My oldest recovery was stolen in 1962 recovered in 1994 the serial # was recorded in NCIC and the revolver was recovered in Florida.
You've got to share the quick and dirty of how that happened. Was it recovered during a crime, or did it pop up at like an estate sale or something?

You've got to share the quick and dirty of how that happened. Was it recovered during a crime, or did it pop up at like an estate sale or something?
Boy that was a long time ago, but if memory serves me a Florida Game & Fish officer made contact with the owner and ran all of the guns through NCIC and got the hit on it being stolen. The owner had purchased the revolver at a pawn shop in either Georgia or Alabama. Of course the officer took possession of it and notified us of the recovery. It took a while but we finally got it back and returned it to the rightful owner. Trying to run down who pawned it resulted in a dead end as the pawn shop was out of business.

Boy that was a long time ago, but if memory serves me a Florida Game & Fish officer made contact with the owner and ran all of the guns through NCIC and got the hit on it being stolen. The owner had purchased the revolver at a pawn shop in either Georgia or Alabama. Of course the officer took possession of it and notified us of the recovery. It took a while but we finally got it back and returned it to the rightful owner. Trying to run down who pawned it resulted in a dead end as the pawn shop was out of business.
Thank you for sharing this story.

That had to feel great knowing a revolver that you were confident you would never see again was back in your hands. It's unfortunate they didn't catch the guy, but in that time period, it is what it is, I would be ecstatic if I got a call 20 years later saying that they found things that were stolen from me.

We hear you, it's hard to except the fact that your guns are gone. This is a voice of experience ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
Here's a big mistake, the worst part is I made it. We sold our home, I packed as much of our wares as possible. Called a moving company to move our items to the new location three miles away.

I put one box to one side of this move to be placed in the truck for safe keeping. In this box was handguns, old and new .... While the movers were moving our goods one of them loaded my special box into the semi. I didn't realize this until we unloaded the truck the next day.

My special box is missing with six handguns: (1) Ruger Single Six, (1) Ruger Sp101, (1) Ruger Mark II, (1) Ruger Bearcat, (1) original flintlock pistol (Wayne Estate gun), (1) original flintlock pistol (no makers mark).

I call the moving to look in their shop and were the trailer was stored over night. Call the police department to report this with having cartridge guns that could be used for who knows what. That led to a full blown investigation, with local police department, Salt Lake City Police (they had the cop that could speak Spanish), the FBI to put the guns on the national stolen list. We were getting phone calls from every where: local cops to the Feds, home owners insurance, NRA insurance, (we had a real issue and didn't know what was next).

HERE'S THE AD FOR THE WAYNE ITEMS:

Attachments

• wayne_1.jpg
    wayne_1.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 0
  • wayne_2.jpg
    wayne_2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 0
  • wayne21.gif
    wayne21.gif
    31.1 KB · Views: 0
  • amer.pistol.jpg
    amer.pistol.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 0
  • wayne22.gif
    wayne22.gif
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
  • waynes3.jpg
    waynes3.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 0
  • stolen1.jpg
    stolen1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 0
  • stolen1.jpg
    stolen1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 0
  • stolen2.jpg
    stolen2.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 0
  • stolen3.jpg
    stolen3.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 0
Have a double picture I couldn't remove above, sorry.

A few days later we are starting to get settle into the new place, busy putting our items away, both garage doors are open and I go inside to get a drink. Only gone maybe 5 minutes.

I come back out to the garage and here's the missing box of guns sitting by the steps ... I'm excited, open the box and here's the missing guns (not quite).

(1) Ruger Single Six,
(1) Ruger Sp101,
(1) Ruger Mark II,
(1) Ruger Bearcat,

Missing is:
(1) original flintlock pistol (Wayne Estate gun),
(1) original flintlock pistol (no makers mark).

I call the local police, I'm told not to touch the guns received, they want to fingerprint everything.

The agent figured the missing items would be easy to sell with no serial numbers, just proof marks.

The box of guns are now with the police, we have to make the calls to Salt Lake City, the Feds, insurance companies and give them the information of what was gotten back. The FBI agent figured who took the guns got scared being easy to trace (we all know how that goes, no where). The (2) missing flintlocks they figured went to the west coast and were sold there to a collector. Have never hear anymore about them, we have a few pictures and flyers on the Wayne gun ...

Bottom line State Farm and NRA treated us fairly on the missing flinter's, good agents.

Second flinter picture and original sales sheet when my father bought the Wayne pistol.

Attachments

• pistol.jpg
    pistol.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
  • sale.jpg
    sale.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 0
  • estate sale.jpg
    estate sale.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This was posted in one of the yahoo groups and someone suggested through email that I post it here. Forgive me if it's out of place but we're hoping by spreading the word we can help out this friend. We have reason to believe these guns may be on the way to the Lawrence Co, Ohio area.

A reenacting friend has had his home broken into and has lost around 50 guns, many of them old, having belonged to his ancestors, and considered antique. I know little about these but could you pass this along to anyone you think
might have contact with anyone trading or selling guns so we can be on the lookout? Your help is much appreciated.

A complete and concise list can be found at
http://www.shawneetrail.com/stolen.html

The Following list represents firearms
stolen from the residence of Phillip "Grizz" Hatfield
on Bourbon Hollow, Grayson, Ky
during the week of July 19, 2004.

If you have any information, please contact
the Kentucky State Police (606-928-6421)
and refer the information to trooper Wiley.

You may also contact
Phillip "Grizz" Hatfield at 606-474-2589.

All information received will be kept confidential

Colt National Match .45 auto
Walnut grips,oversize beavertail grip safety,skeleton hammer

Charles Daly Officers model .45 auto
New in box,2 clips,rosewood grips

Walther P-22
.22 auto in box w/ acces.

Smith & Wesson Model 29-2
Overesize Target grips,in Presentation caes w/ acces.

Cimmaron Thunderer
3.5 in barrel,ivory one piece grips

Uberti Bisley model
4 5/8 in barrel,walnut grips

Uberti 1858 Remington
A40233
5.5 inch barrel,conversion cyl. In .45 colt

1851 Navy colt custom
Custom built from different parts, 2 piece ivory grips,fluted cly.

Traditions 1860 Army
8 inch barrel walnut grips

Pietta 1860 Amy
pf2940
5.5 inch barrel,walnut grips

Philadelphia Derringer
.44 cal,reproduction

Kimber Platnium Series .22 conversation kit
in box with clip

Ruger Single Six,Old Model
Nickel plated with repro stag grips, some flaking on finish

Harrington &Richardson
nickel .32cal.

1917 Webley
.45 auto for half moon clips,exc. Condition,slight crack in grip

H&R .22 DA
6 in barrel,cream and brown grips

Colt King Cobra
4 in barrel, bright stainless,custom Houge wood grips

Bushmaster AR15
16.5 in barrel,h bar,w/ comp.

Springfield M1 Garand
164 scribed on bolt top
non import,1944 manuf.

Springfield M1 Garand
Blue Sky Import,new bolt,trigger group, 1944 manf.

Springfield 1873 Trapdoor Rifle
45/70,

Springfield 1884 Trapdoor Rifle
45/70 very good

Winchester model 12
16 gauge,28 inbarrel,taper choke in barrel

Remington Model 11
16 gauge,IC ,

97 TW /Winchester repro 1897 Trench Gun
MIL 4970
12 gauge, WW1 trench gun repro

New Worchester
N/a
12 gauge,double barrel

Petersoli Sharps Long Range Express
SH11558
45/70 w/long range tang sights, globe front

Savage model 24
.22/410 O/U, walnut stock & forearm

Remington Nylon 66 Bi-Cenntenial
Engraved Bi-Cenntenial W/ 3x9 scope

Ruger 10 22
Blue,walnut stock,wide view scope

Ruger 10 22
Stainlees steel,Mannilicher laminate stock,satinleess Simmons scope

Ithica
.22 lever single shot,scratches on reciever

Ruger M-44
.44 mag semi auto, first model, w/1.5x3 scope

WinchesterModel 670
.264 mag,w/6x12 range finder-bullet drop scope

Marlin 1894CB45
.45 colt lever,24 in.oct. barrel

New England Arms
12 gauge single barrel

Universal M-1 Carbine
w/ sling & oiler

Wincherster 1894 Rifle
.38/55 oct. barrel, front is older 1894,rear of rifle is new model, hand made forearm and barrel band

Mosin Nagant
7.62x54 cut down rifle,replacement high front sight

Mauser Argentine Carbine

Springfield
.22 semi auto,no mag tube

Marlin Buckaroo
Single shot youth model{Buckaroo} w/scope

Martini Henry
303 cal, carbine needs work,falling block, long lever

Springfield 1870 Trapdoor Rifle
50/70,very good

Eddystone Arsenal
P1917 bolt AA marked on stock, Excellent

Double Barrel Percussion Shotgun
Hand carved stock in shape of horses head on pistol grip,14 ga

Brenda
Notify ATF for sure, They have a pretty good idea who thieves in your area are. FBI also. I am so sorry for his loss. Tell him for me: "Hang in Grizz, this may take a while." Polecat

In our case (the wife's and mine) when checking with the moving company they had one of the movers quit that evening when they returned to the shop.

They are now looking for him in CA, he will probably slide south of the border. The police told me that these questionable guys use metal detectors to fine valuables in your belongings !@#$%^

Had a house fire in 2014. After it was put out and we heading to a hotel (for 10 months, it was bad) cop asked if I had any firearms. Yep, get them, take them with you. Some of these were what they now call ghost guns, untraceable. Cops helped me load them in the car, never questioned a one, figured I had enough grief.
Lesson was, never let your guns in the care of others.
Sorry for your misfortune, I am only posting this for the next guy that may fall in our situation.

We had 15 guns stolen in a burglary in 1981, Along with the guns, a lot of my wife's jewelry, gold coins, cash, and other valuables. That was in south Florida, while we were up here on vacation. It was long before that data base was in existence.
Everything was in a 600 pound Tread Lock security gun safe. Along with what I have listed, there was 500 pounds of pure lead & lineotype in separate ingots for casting round balls and boolits on the floor. A lot of smokeless powder and black powder (which was in the door behind the lock). I always hoped whoever stole the safe had used a cutting torch to cut the lock off and blew themselves up. We moved to the Ozarks the next year after selling the house and getting an insurance settlement which allowed us to pay off the note on our 60 acres of land and build the house free of debt.

The old firm of Green River Rifle Works in Roosevelt Utah had a bunch of guns stolen from the shop, some antique collectors and and a wheel barrow full of new GRRW rifles. None have ever been recovered.

An old story that gets repeated every few years, who next ...

Latest posts

Back