• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stopped at the Log Cabin today...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Gardner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I finally made it to the Log Cabin this afternoon. Went in to look around for an hour or so and I walked out with a new .40 Southern Mountian flinter and the trappings to go with it. I have been thinking of getting a .36 for a while but this .40 felt too good to pass up, very well balanced and lively in hand. No fancy inlays, but the wood is VERY nice. It was built by one of the local artisans.

I could have spent an entire day there, looking around and asking questions. I know I'll go back, many many timed.

Doublegun,
:agree: and you are not the first to post such praise
about the "Log Cabin Shop". They are indeed great
to work with!!!!!!You could spend a week there and
still go back for more.
snake-eyes :thumbsup:

You made a good choice of caliber in the .40 over the .36 IMHO. 35 grains of Swiss 3f will really make that .40 cal. sing !!

:results:

Log Cabin is in Lodi, Ohio. Very nice poeple to deal with, IMHO. :thumbsup:

Doublegun,
How about some specifics on your new southern dont forget what she weighs and some pictures if possible.
Nathan :thumbsup:

How can anyone possibly get out of there in only an hour ::?

Hank
Well, I think they wanted to go home to have dinner. I was actually there closer to 2-hours, arriving at 4:00 and leaving because they turned the darn lights off. I can only imagine the damage I would have done to my checkbook had I arrived any earlier.

Seriously, the place is like a candy store. There is so much to look at and Dick was very patient with all of my questions. When people say that they spend a day in the shop I can understand how/why. The shop is worth a trip regardless of whether or not you are in the market for a gun.

Nathan,

I am still on the road and will not be home until Friday. I'll try to post a picture and details as soon as I get settled.

Doublegun

Those guys at the Log Cabin Shop are great. They take the time with each customer and are very knowledgeable. I live about ten minutes from them and my wife hates when I go there. I never get out for under a hundred bucks and stay at least an hour.

Has anyone ever seen a better collection of Ohio style rifles anywhere else? The Vincent rifles alone are worth the trip.

Has anyone ever seen a better collection of Ohio style rifles anywhere else? The Vincent rifles alone are worth the trip.

Hey Rick,
I haven't, great collection. I'm wanting to build a Vincent for my next project but haven't been able to find plans for one anywhere. I might go up there in the next month or so and see if they'll let me take measurments and pictures.

Hank

They will be glad to let you. Just call ahead so they can pull the gun and have it ready. They have three original Vincents. All are in incredibly good condition. The Caleb Vincent rifle is just about the prettiest thing you can imagine. Extra fine curly maple stained a nice honey color, metalwork second to none. If you are going to build this style of rifle this is the one to copy. I bought a vincent kit and finished it in the same color. My wood was not as nice but I think you would need a time machine to find a piece of wood like this.

They keep all of their artifacts out in the open on walls and you can walk right up to them. Just call so they can get the cable lock open for you to inspect the rifle.

Hope you make it up there.

I see your from West Virginia, I am originally from Calhoun County WV. Still have a bunch of relatives down there and was recently Turkey hunting down there.

No place like home.

Rick

Yeah Ric, the Caleb Vincent is the one I've had my eye on for the last year or so. Hopefully I'll get up there soon.

Hank

If you go back, if you have a digital camera, can you photograph that rifle with the hooded sight for me please? There's a target gun that has a sheetmetal cover over the barrel & sights and it prevents sunlight distortion of the sights and also eliminates mirages. I'd like to have a full length one and two angle shots from front & back.

Well I finally got out to shoot the flinter this weekend. I have a feeling that this was a mistake...that was a lot of fun! Using a .395 ball, .015 prelube patch and 35 gr of FFF, with a little in the pan, the gun shoots like a champ. 1st shot at the paper was 1" to the right at 35 yards shooting - off hand and I had never shot a flinter before. That is pretty much where they stayed.

Shooting the thing drew quite a crowd and the next thing I did was dry-ball it. Used the ball-puller and out she came - no problems. (Actually, I was suprised just how easily the ball did pull. Should I go with a thicker patch?) Lesson: these things take concentration when loading.

What really suprised me was how quickly the gun fired - very little delay. Recoil was hardly noticible but the gun probably weights about 7.5 lbs and the charge was light.

When finished I realized that I only had 5-6 cleaning patches with me. I only needed 4 - the gun cleaned up very easily, actually with less effort than my .50 Hawken precussion gun. This is going to be a lot of fun and very addicting.

So, what load would you recommend I shoot for plinking and hunting ground hogs, etc? What I am afraid of is that I will develop a need to pick up a .50 or .54 for deer hunting this fall. Oh, well...

Advice on loads?

What I am afraid of is that I will develop a need to pick up a .50 or .54 for deer hunting this fall. Oh, well...

:hmm: That's funny, while waiting on my .54 southern flinter to be built, I developed a need for a .36 Tennessee flinter :hmm: :D :RO:

Back