• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Straight Razor Shaving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a small barber's hone, 2 x 4", from a local barber shop for $20. Five strokes on it and the edge is great again. Any Joe can do it, it's easy and cheap. Then finish with the strop again.

Ce :grin: lt5494 said:
I don't care what Bearclaw says, a full time night woman ain't too bad to have around the place.

I'm gonna hafta make some phone calls. :hmm: :grin:

I tried that tape thing but the tape was wearing off- am I pressing too hard on the honing???

crockett said:
I tried that tape thing but the tape was wearing off- am I pressing too hard on the honing???

Ooh! I'd say so! All you need is the weight of the blade on the hone once the edge is established to get that fine razor edge. I use one strip of black electrical tape on the spine of my wedge.

I don't use tape while using the barber hone but some swear by it. Use whatever works for you. But with str8's, go very light on the stone and strop as if you are petting a bird. Treat it like the feather edge that it is.

I would simply call around and see if there are any barbers in your area who do straight razor shaves.
If you find one who does, simply go there to get one and take mental notes per his technique, and ask questions.
Remember that barbers go to school for this, (and probably had to shave a balloon to pass) just like any other skilled trade, he could likely provide very valuable "tips and tricks" that would help you out.
Don't forget to toss an appropriate amount of cash in his jar :)

I did the barber thing and what a disappointment!! I must be mr. Magoo because when they trim your sideburns I THOUGHT they were using a straight razor but instead they are all using one of those clip jobs where you snap a safety blade in half -long ways- and slide it in the clip.
Well I glued some 1500 grit sandpaper to a metal bar and tried that and at least I can shave. I need a better hone to get a really good edge.

crockett said:
I THOUGHT they were using a straight razor but instead they are all using one of those clip jobs where you snap a safety blade in half -long ways- and slide it in the clip.

The health codes in many locations require that the barbers use disposable blades when shaving customers.

Even when they are shaving the back of my neck after a haircut I try to remember how much (little?) pressure my barber use and whether there is any pulling as they cut. This gives me a little guidance as to the pressure I should be using for my shaves as well as a comparison of what my honing/stropping job was like when compared with a factory blade.

In order to reduce the initial cost more than a few people will by a straight that takes the disposable blades, some blades, and the brush and soap. This gets them started without the cost of a regular razor and strop. If the like it, they go ahead and buy the raxor and strop later.

On the forums (Straight Razor Place) people comment on how harsh and cut-prone those fake straight razors are. I tried one once and hated it; it felt like saw blade serrations instead of smooth. Get the real McCoy!

jbtusa said:
On the forums (Straight Razor Place) people comment on how harsh and cut-prone those fake straight razors are. I tried one once and hated it; it felt like saw blade serrations instead of smooth. Get the real McCoy!

Plus, you can buy a shave ready vintage razor for pretty cheap. I got my Anton Wingen straight razor from a guy in England for $40. The Straight Razor Place has a classifieds section, and there's usually a bunch of refurbished vintage blades for sale on there. Also, brushes, strops, mugs, scuttles, the whole shebang.

I've tried over the past year to figure out how to shave with a straight razor. I had it professionally honed, but it dulled and I can't seem to get it back (even with a barber's hone). Part of it is likely my lack of technique, but I'm thinking I may have to save up some cash and get a good 4000/8000 grit stone and try again.

mcsteinscamp said:
I've tried over the past year to figure out how to shave with a straight razor. I had it professionally honed, but it dulled and I can't seem to get it back (even with a barber's hone). Part of it is likely my lack of technique, but I'm thinking I may have to save up some cash and get a good 4000/8000 grit stone and try again.

Yes, you'll need the 4000/8000 grit to get it near what is was before. Also remember, you just let the razor lie flat on the stone. The spine of the blade maintains the correct angle for sharpening.

I guess I have the right to ask, since I started this posting......how did it get to the point that it has lasted this long? I no longer am trying to shave with a straight razor (okay, I'm a quitter) and my face has healed. I would never have believed this original posting of mine would last this long. I guess I inadvertantly stumbled onto a broad interest topic.
:grin: :rotf: :rotf:

deano said:
I guess I have the right to ask, since I started this posting......how did it get to the point that it has lasted this long? I no longer am trying to shave with a straight razor (okay, I'm a quitter) and my face has healed. I would never have believed this original posting of mine would last this long. I guess I inadvertantly stumbled onto a broad interest topic.
:grin: :rotf: :rotf:

I was just thinking the same thing. There has been a resurgence of interest in straight razor shaving in the United States. Some people call it "Zen Shaving". I think your topic tapped in to this interest.

I got into it to save from paying those outrageous prices for disposable cartridges. Now it's an addiction... (Another one... jeez....)

jbtusa said:
I got into it to save from paying those outrageous prices for disposable cartridges. Now it's an addiction... (Another one... jeez....)

I got in tonit for another way to experience history and for reenacting. It gets some people's attention and their always surprised about how much prep and technique goes in to it.

Nothing is neater to me than to shave with a nearly 200 year old razor. At home, it's a form of relaxation. Takes me about thirty minutes to complete the whole process and I enjoy taking my time. Add some Bay Rum scented shaving soap and you've got a little aroma therapy going on too. :grin:

I shaved yesterday for the first time with my grandfather's razor. Nicked my ear and got a raw spot on one cheek but otherwise success. Amazing that folks did this regularly. They must have had a lot more time than we have. OTOH a half hour to shave still gets me in under the time it takes SWMBO to primp and preen. :haha: :haha:

I got into this years ago just because. It was a new skill set. Now this type of shaving is something that I look forward to. It is a great pleasure.
About the disposable blade razors:
people comment on how harsh and cut-prone those fake straight razors are. I tried one once and hated it; it felt like saw blade serrations instead of smooth. Get the real McCoy!

There is nothing wrong with the disposable bladed razors. I have, in addition to a number of 19th century straights, about a half dozen of the disposables. They are, as noted, a good way to learn about this old fashioned business without the expenses of a strop and hones.
Any of the disposables gives a VERY smooth shave. If shaving with one feels "like saw blade serrations", then either the blade needs replacing or you need to adapt your technique.
My favorite modern straight is a disposable blade from Feather.
The reason that some folk find this type of razor "cut prone" (think about that term for a moment) is that they are very, very sharp. If used properly (gently and at a shallower angle), they provide a marvelously smooth and clean shave. In fact, the Feather is smoother than my two favorite traditional st8s, a 6/8 Wade and Butcher half hollow and a W&B 5/8 "Bow" razor.
A less expensive but very serviceable alternative is Dovo's "Shavette" - i prefer the long bladed "green" blade holder.
Pete

Back