• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Straight Razor Shaving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once you try a wedge, you'll never go back... so tame and gentle compared to a full hollow...

Addiction? Costs you say? Just wait until after you buy a straight and then decide that you need some stones for honing... then it starts all over again.

Agreed about switching hands. I don't know how it can be done without switching hands to cross over. There are places that I couldn't get to without crossing over with the opposite hand.

Switching hands. Yeah, that's how I have always done it....but I am so strongly right sided that using the left still remains a challenge.
Pete

jbtusa said:
Once you try a wedge, you'll never go back... so tame and gentle compared to a full hollow...

Addiction? Costs you say? Just wait until after you buy a straight and then decide that you need some stones for honing... then it starts all over again.

A STRAIGHT (as in one?)

perhaps i am more suseptable than most- i have four already

bye bye money ...

MSW said:
jbtusa said:

A STRAIGHT (as in one?)

perhaps i am more suseptable than most- i have four already

bye bye money ...

I have two, and at $20-$40 for an original blade from the 19th century, it's easy to collect these things. I like taking the time to get the edge back to a shavable condition. It's a great hobby! Who woulda' thunk shaving could be a hobby? :grin:

too true, Trench ... at least i can claim a more or less legitimate use for this mania.

by the way, i think i'm into a boatload of turnable maple, so if anyone is interested in a brush, let me know.

(no, that's not a 'commercial' announcement)

No kidding... I've already got four. But the latest one, the Wade & Butcher wedge, is tops! It's going with me to rendezvous!

Okay, since I started this "post-from-hell", eternal topic, I guess I can step back in and update all you straight razor shaving experts.

A short time ago, I thought I would try one of the straight razors with the replaceable razor blade, having the thought that I was an incompetent honer and needed something with a predictable, sharp blade. I ordered a Parker stainless steel model and received it yesterday. I tried it out tonight, after a good hot shower, using my badger brush, top-rated shaving soap and old time soap cup.

Results: Overall, the shave wasn't bad. The only event was the nick(large cut ?) I got under my nose that made me look like I had a red mustache and was wearing blood-red lipstick. I guess I shouldn't try shaving with a straight razor again after tipping a few in front of the bowl games.
:idunno: :rotf: :youcrazy: :nono:

I just added a W&B wedge to my collection. I am working on the honing it back to shave ready condition. It is "almost" ready for a full shave.
Right now, I can shave the side of my face with it but find that I must use more pressure than with my "control" str8, a modern Feather Artist RG, which is a very smooth shaver.
I am uncomfortable with the amount of pressure past that part of my face.
Going to try another honing.
Pete

BigDogg said:
Ok dangit! That's it... I need another razor! :surrender:

Of course you do! I just bought another one for $25 since my last post. :rotf:

If you're having to use any pressure then it's probably time to send the wedge out for a professional honing to get the bevel angles done right. The Wade wedge I use just glides and is a sheer joy to use; much more fun than a full hollow. My girlfriend absolutely loves it when I start the day with a straight. Wedges rock!

Trench said:
BigDogg said:
Ok dangit! That's it... I need another razor! :surrender:

Of course you do! I just bought another one for $25 since my last post. :rotf:

You are building quite the collection Trench!... "Trench's Home for Wayward Wedges?"... Gotta admit it has a certain ring to to it!
:hmm:

Celt5494 said:
I'm thinkin he's building one of those 7 day razor sets for himself..... :wink:

At least we know what to get him for Christmas next year...a S,M,T,W,Th,F,Sat. Display rack!
:grin:

Yeah no kiddin.... Hey speaking of such how do you guys store your blades? I have to shut mine up in the cabinet because She that rules the kitchen takes 32 hour long hot water showers and in one day the rust spots begin to show on my blades. I keep em' in the cabinet so the water vapor stays away. Maybe one of you guys will have a few better ideas for me?

Latest posts

Back