• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Straight Shooter!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wattsy

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Starting in February of this year I began re-creating a TC Renegade. ( http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/239874/post/new/#NEW )I had ordered a 1 in 66 barrel from TC and it took them 6 months to get it to me; Quite frankly I was getting a little bent but it FINALLY arrived and the gun put together so off to the range we go..
I gave it 20-ish strokes of steel wool and brake cleaner to "break the barrel in" and then fired her up...Prehaps some luck but on the second set of three I am in one hole at 25 yards.
.530 hand cast balls with .18 prelubed patches over 90 grains of Pyrodex RS. I intentionally do NOT pay attention to the where or how of the sprue ~ didnt seem to matter negatively. I also tried .535 balls but they opened up a tad.
Felt a guilty pleasure at out shooting a "Weatherby" at 100 yards trying to get sighted in for elk season... :wink:
All in all I am VERY pleased with this TC barrel!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wattsy: Good for you. I had a Green Mountain drop-in round ball barrel on a Renegade about 10 years ago and it, too, was a real grouper. Which range are you shooting at up there? Tri-County? Douglas Ridge?

BillinOregon said:
Wattsy: Good for you. I had a Green Mountain drop-in round ball barrel on a Renegade about 10 years ago and it, too, was a real grouper. Which range are you shooting at up there? Tri-County? Douglas Ridge?

CVSC or Chehalem Valley Sportsmans Club ... outta Dundee

Wattsey:

Good for you. I undertook the same project with an older Renegade early this year. I had the same results as you with the .54 ball barrel.

TC says they make the barrels themselves. Doesn't really matter, I guess, because they do shoot.

Like you, I redid the stock (Pecatonica) and installed a peep sight. I opted for the "Johnson Peep Sight" from Muzzleloader Builders Supply.

brpc said:
Wattsey:

Good for you. I undertook the same project with an older Renegade early this year. I had the same results as you with the .54 ball barrel.

TC says they make the barrels themselves. Doesn't really matter, I guess, because they do shoot.

Like you, I redid the stock (Pecatonica) and installed a peep sight. I opted for the "Johnson Peep Sight" from Muzzleloader Builders Supply.

Do you have pictures?

Back