• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Straightrazors

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesthomas

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up a nice H.C. Wentworth&Sons Straight Razor today at a gun show ($40.00), has a nice sharp edge on it, He had a Robinson Shuredge, but wanted $200.00 bucks for it. My Question is how good is it?. So far what I've read indicates its a good razor (The H..C Wentworth that is.

I don't collect them, but I do shave with them. It seems that with straight razors (as with rifles) you have to own a few before you find one which really 'fills your hand.'

I've had a few el- cheap- o types which I bough just because they looked cool, and a few of these worked out really well, despite being el- cheap- o razors, and some which were said to be great but really weren't so wonderful when they were put to use.

no to sound like a smart alec, but the best way is to strop it and shave with it. use good soap and a nice brush, and if the shave isn't what you want, you may consider sharpening it (if you have the proper stones and know what you're doing) or having it sent out to be sharpened.

once you get a straight razor you like, you'll wonder what you were thinking buying all that 'disposable' junk for all those years.

good luck with your project!

My younger brother shaves with a straight razor and he got me to thinking about trying it, He is coming down for Thanksgiving and is going to give me some pointers on how to shave and how put an edge on one.

I have heard of people using them as patch knives, but they were probably cheap ones that they didn't like for shaving.

I've used a straight razor for years. Best shave I ever had. Take your time and go slowly. Use water as hot as you can stand it.

MSW said:
...once you get a straight razor you like, you'll wonder what you were thinking buying all that 'disposable' junk for all those years.

Oh no I won't. Eek!

Take a hard look at any straight razors you buy used. Some are simply put away as the owner thought the new "safety razor" was a better idea. Some, however, were put away in a dresser drawer, and decades later found their way into the antique shop because they were dropped and the edge has a nick in it. Simple stropping often won't remove that nick and that can cause cuts in your face.

LD

:hatsoff:

I've been shaving with a Dovo straight razor for the last 3 or more years. It's easy to maintain and keep sharp, and it shaves like nothing else. I'll never go back to a disposable or safety razor.

There are all kinds of good videos on Youtube on how to shave with a straight razor and how to maintain it so it's always sharp.

Start shaving slow and soon you'll be using one like you were a master.

I shaved with one for a few years and enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say I got a better shave than a conventional razor. When you factor in the upkeep (honing, stropping, etc) and the longer amount of time it takes to shave with a straight razor you may find it is or isn't worth it. It's definitely fun though.

One clumsy mistake and when I wear eyeglasses they'd be crooked. Not for me, thanks. I'm tired of the time it takes to use a decent disposable safety razor and gonna go back to an electric for most of the week!!! 'course, as a gentleman should do I have a well trimmed beard and mustache so it's a bit more of an art for us than just slicing the shadow from one's face away...

I've shaved in the shower with a disposable razor on a number of occasions.

I now have too many old Gillette safety razors collected in the last few years. They are too much like muzzleloaders as far as you can't just have one.

I still haven't gotten up the nerve to try a straight razor.

Well, I took some time getting an axe really sharp so I could say I shaved with an axe. I've shaved a few times with my hunting knife. On the straight razor- it takes some time so I try on the weekends.
About 7-10 years ago Muzzleloader Magazine had an article on straight razors. The pre-1840 types had a ricaso or something- I can't recall, but they were kept in a little box with a lid you opened and a mirror on the inside and a place for soap and brush and a strop on back- all pretty neat if you ask me. I think the drill was to find a short tree and prop the box in a branch notch so the mirror was at proper height.

Cruzatte said:
I've used a straight razor for years. Best shave I ever had. Take your time and go slowly. Use water as hot as you can stand it.

I'm going to give it a go tomorrow morning! I have 3 shave ready razors, The H.C Wentworth & Sons I have dated to between 1903 to 1912.

Well, I just got through with my first Straight razor Shave, went pretty well I thought, only one cut! I had to finish my chin and a bit under it the a regular razor (a bit too iffy for the first time!). I need to get out and by some 4000 and 8000 grit stone to hone with. Cheeks and neck are nice an smooth, but I do need more practice Stropping.

I have my granddad's old razor hone out in the garage. It has the name "Cotl" on the top with what looks like an oar or needle through the name. That stone is smooth.

Back