• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Strange day at the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddogge

45 Cal.
Reaction score
It was a strange day at the range for two grizzled veteran shooters and gunsmakers. I started off at 50 yards with a .45 flintlock rifle my dad built in the 70s but never finished. I finished it a couple of years ago. I put two in the 10 and one in the 9 ring and told my buddy to shoot his newly built .54 flintlock. He got one shot off and then had several pan flashes when we checked the ramrod depth and yes, he dryballed it. We couldn't get it out or get enough powder into the touch hole to shoot it out so he packed it up and said he'd debreech it at home. Next up was me with my .36 flintlock I wanted to try at 100 yards because it shot great at 50 last outing. I was ramming the ball and the ramrod stuck tight halfway down. I used the wrong ramrod, the .45 rod from my dad's gun and the jag jammed on the patch wedging it tight. Three of us could not budge this rod and I couldn't keep shooting my dad's gun which has a longer barrel since that ramrod was stuck tight in my gun. So my shooting was done. That left the newbie shooting his .54 Renegade and he probably shot 15 rounds putting us to shame.

At home, I took the barrel out, clamped it in a vise, and gave a hefty pull on the rod, and it came out easily. I then pulled the ball and dumped the charge so all is good.

Sounds like one of my outings. I'm always good for forgetting something. Last week I took my patch worm out of my shooting box to take a picture for a fella, and of course I forgot to put it back, and of course I needed it (due to not bringing the correct size cleaning patch). I did remember I had one of those Co2 discharger deals in the bottom of the box, so at least I had that going for me. Ah well, still better than being at work or golfing.

I joined a club about 45 miles from home as they have a woodswalk up year around. I was all pumped waiting for Saturday to go. Loaded my truck and drove up there. Got out of the truck and getting my gear out. No rifle!!! Drove 45 miles home in a somewhat sour mood.

On the way home, I called a buddy whose wife was in the hospital with cancer. After I hung up I thought “ I’ll bet Marie wishes her only problem was forgetting her rifle”. That helped my mood.

Went home got my rifle and went to the range 3 miles from home and punched paper for awhile. Still a good day!

I joined a club about 45 miles from home as they have a woodswalk up year around. I was all pumped waiting for Saturday to go. Loaded my truck and drove up there. Got out of the truck and getting my gear out. No rifle!!! Drove 45 miles home in a somewhat sour mood.

On the way home, I called a buddy whose wife was in the hospital with cancer. After I hung up I thought “ I’ll bet Marie wishes her only problem was forgetting her rifle”. That helped my mood.

Went home got my rifle and went to the range 3 miles from home and punched paper for awhile. Still a good day!
I drove an hour to play golf and forgot my clubs.

My day at the range went like this. Recently, I had put a new vent liner in my GPR, itching to try it and see if that was the cure for reliable ignition. I get there, gates already open, one truck at the rifle range, in thinking going to be a good morning. We can't shoot before 9, so I had 15 minutes to unload, hang a target, get organized. The one other fellas there, had no less than 7 rifles scattered all over the place. He looked at me like I was interrupting brain surgery. Made a split second decision, got back in the truck and came home. I didn't want to let anyone raise my blood pressure today. Humans. Who needs em?

It was a strange day at the range for two grizzled veteran shooters and gunsmakers. I started off at 50 yards with a .45 flintlock rifle my dad built in the 70s but never finished. I finished it a couple of years ago. I put two in the 10 and one in the 9 ring and told my buddy to shoot his newly built .54 flintlock. He got one shot off and then had several pan flashes when we checked the ramrod depth and yes, he dryballed it. We couldn't get it out or get enough powder into the touch hole to shoot it out so he packed it up and said he'd debreech it at home. Next up was me with my .36 flintlock I wanted to try at 100 yards because it shot great at 50 last outing. I was ramming the ball and the ramrod stuck tight halfway down. I used the wrong ramrod, the .45 rod from my dad's gun and the jag jammed on the patch wedging it tight. Three of us could not budge this rod and I couldn't keep shooting my dad's gun which has a longer barrel since that ramrod was stuck tight in my gun. So my shooting was done. That left the newbie shooting his .54 Renegade and he probably shot 15 rounds putting us to shame.

At home, I took the barrel out, clamped it in a vise, and gave a hefty pull on the rod, and it came out easily. I then pulled the ball and dumped the charge so all is good.
I always envied those pick-up drivers that have a Vice affixed to the bumper of their truck!:p

Back