• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stripped Fire Bluing Off Of Uberti Remington .44 Cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still learning so i am uninformed about most of this terminology. I will say my new (April) 51 Navy has about 1500 at 15g and while the front of cylinder is more grey than blue, the rest of cylinder, barrel bluing is same as day I bought it. Uberti.

Anyone who has a firearm with real honest to goodness charcoal blue knows that the stuff on Uberti's ain't it.
Ricks roller.jpeg

I own a Uberti Highwall and there is no comparison.

Roller Windsor 3.jpg

Hepburn.jpg

Last edited:
Correct, Uberti and Pieta are all Chemically applied bluing and the so called case hardening , the black seams to hold up rather well and the fake case hardening ,but it is what it is .

Correct, Uberti and Pieta are all Chemically applied bluing and the so called case hardening , the black seams to hold up rather well and the fake case hardening ,but it is what it is .
It's bluing, like any other modern firearm. You imply that it's anything less???

What I was Implying is that it’s No Doug Turnbull Bluing or Case hardening should have stated that , Didn’t know you worked for the Italian Gun makers.

Provide examples. In the case of Uberti or Pietta, it's patently false. They're either hot salt blued or fire blued (marketed as charcoal blue). Bluing IS a chemical process.
I don't recall the specific reference, but read in a gun magazine about the faux case color. Don't recall the particulars, but I'm sure you are correct relative to Uberti or Pietta, both of which I really like. Thanks!

I removed the bluing on the loading lever as soon as I got my two-tone 1858.
I was going for a look.

View attachment 238114

View attachment 238115

So no complaints from me :)

And I got one of those splotchy blued guns. It was on a Cattleman. I was going to give it a worn look anyway, otherwise it would have gone back. I never saw anything like that before. Don't know how it made it onto the boat.
You did a Dam nice job on it I really dig the two tone look, Lee Van Cleef would have been proud to use it.

It's bluing, like any other modern firearm. You imply that it's anything less???
Yes, it is less, the charcoal color case hardening that Doug Turnbull and others do is in a whole different league than what Uberti does.
Compare them side by side and it becomes obvious.

....But I just wanted some opinions to wether it looks stupid or not, don’t be shy I can take it Ha Ha but instead of waiting to se what the barrel will do I might strip it as well to make it look more uniform.
Sorry, but I think they do look better brand new. You might need to restrip and go for a complete hot blue. Just the blued parts, of course, not the color case hardened. Just my opinion, though.

Yes, it is less, the charcoal color case hardening that Doug Turnbull and others do is in a whole different league than what Uberti does.
Compare them side by side and it becomes obvious.
No kidding. You're not going to get a $500 finish job on a $300 gun but that's not what I asked.

Uberti/Pietta hot salt blue is little different from Colt's +$2000 SAA. It was implied that it was something else.

I know very well the difference. I've had several guns refinished in Turnbull's shop.

Your rifles are very nice but the barrels appear to me as though they have been rust blued, not charcoal blued.
Probably so. Rifle barrels are too long for charcoal bluing.

Sometimes it is important to clarify your statements when posting so your meaning is clear.

I have nothing but respect for my Uberti high wall as it shoots extremely well for what little it cost (several years ago) BUT the finish on the action is a very poor attempt to look like charcoal case hardening and it fails. My opinion would be that they would have a better LOOKING gun if they would have blued the action the same as the barrel.

However, I do not drag it out and show it to people to impress them with how good some people (not me) are at the art of gunsmithing. There are better examples for sure.

I think they all look great, I would love to have any one of them. The more I thought about it even though the reproduction aren’t exactly the way we want them to be it affords use the opportunity to actually possess something we other wise would not be able to obtain. I guess this holds true to just about any item that is not in current production anymore.

Uberti's case colors of 20yrs ago more closely resembled an old Colt with faded colors. All blue would not have that effect and would look out of place. However, they are now much better than they used to be.

IMG_9268b.jpg

They also take refinishing like anything else, like this all carbona blue with fire blue screws and color case hammer/trigger from Turnbull.

IMG_9871b.jpg

I think they all look great, I would love to have any one of them. The more I thought about it even though the reproduction aren’t exactly the way we want them to be it affords use the opportunity to actually possess something we other wise would not be able to obtain. I guess this holds true to just about any item that is not in current production anymore.
1690128011860.jpeg

Latest posts

Back