• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stripped Fire Bluing Off Of Uberti Remington .44 Cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of side-car discussion on bluing and case hardening, real and faux.

To answer OP's question: Yes, it is trivial to strip the bluing off of any reproduction revolver. Simply fill a glass or plastic dish with plain old vinegar, and stick your blued revolver parts in there, completely submerged. Within minutes, the bluing will be gone.

I personally am not a fan of "aging" or "antiquing" firearms. Seldom would anyone have done this to a firearm in period. When new, these firearms looked new - they did not look "aged" nor would anyone deliberately try and make them look so.

Now, there are some modern folks who would like a gun that looks 150 years old. I get that. But I still would not want to take a "like new" gun and make it look beat up.

Yet, I did it. :)

At one of the N-SSA Nationals I went to it was raining like in Noah's day. Evidently I put my Pietta 1860 Army up in it's case still damp, and when I removed it, the nice blue finish was freckled all to heck with rust.

So, I stripped it to give it an "aged" look, but only because the finish was already ruined.

IMG_7987.JPG

I personally am not a fan of "aging" or "antiquing" firearms. Seldom would anyone have done this to a firearm in period. When new, these firearms looked new - they did not look "aged" nor would anyone deliberately try and make them look so.
Yeah but when you live in your saddle, sleep under the stars, used a generic fit holster and may or may not have a strict cleaning regimen, how long is it going to look new?

Yeah but when you live in your saddle, sleep under the stars, used a generic fit holster and may or may not have a strict cleaning regimen, how long is it going to look new?
I don't know. I'm sure some people did not take care of there things. In 1880, a $20 gold piece would buy you a nice Colt revolver. A sergeant in the army made about $17 a month. They say a good handgun was about a month's wages. A functional one about a week's wages. I'd expect some level of care for such a thing.

But, even my competition guns, which I consider "working guns", get wear and tear, and that's just from being used once a month or so.

I've got some old original guns (about 100 years old) that were only "moderately" used. They retain 90% of their bluing, and have holster wear that has removed the bluing from around the muzzle and other high spots. But they were not worn outdoors, I suspect.

Latest posts

Back