• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck bore brush

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I messed up !
I ran a cleaning patch down the bore of my 50 cal TC Hawken barrel.
The patch came off and got stuck down in Breech .
I couldn’t find my patch puller jag , so I put a brass brush on and ran that down , thinking I could pull the cleaning patch out with that…guess what , next thing happens is my brass brush pulls off my ram rod ! What I didn’t realize is that the threads on the brass brush were a smaller size than my ram rod threads ….that’s why it pulled off
I couldn’t find a cleaning rod with the smaller diameter threaded end , to try and reattach the brush down in the bore
I cut a small piece of monofilament fishing line and put it in the treads of of my ramrod , then when I screwed it on the lost brass jag , it tightened right up with the mono jamming up the threads ..
I carefully pulled the brush out and it worked…Ha
Now I needed to still get that patch out , so I had one of those screw type ball puller jags ,
I ran that down and got it screwed into the cleaning patch and got it pulled out …

I went on line and ordered a nice 50 cal jag attachment kit with the 10/32 threads that my rod has .
Lesson learned , make sure jag tips are proper size for your ram rod thread

Having never made any mistakes yet I’m impressed with your ingenuity. :ghostly:
Well, I've made plenty and I'm still impressed. :thumb:

Also, I've bought two of each and every adapter TOW sells online. I sure wish firearm tool makers would standardize. I'm always wasting time trying to screw something onto something else where the threads don't match. Very irritating.

Well, I've made plenty and I'm still impressed. :thumb:

Also, I've bought two of each and every adapter TOW sells online. I sure wish firearm tool makers would standardize. I'm always wasting time trying to screw something onto something else where the threads don't match. Very irritating.
Ditto, but I only have one each of the adapters.

I've got a bore brush stuck in an old .45 barrel - the brush actually separated where the twisted wires end at the terminal of the brush part.
Tried the hollow brass tube trick, but my brass tube is neither long enough nor of a sufficient ID to do the job. And the breechplug has been in well over 160 years.
Trying McMaster-Carr and other suppliers (Grainger, etc.) for a 3' piece of suitable tubing. The barrel is not going anywhere, and I am a mostly patient soul.
Heck, I could even solder on a short piece of tube to a solid rod...

I've got a bore brush stuck in an old .45 barrel - the brush actually separated where the twisted wires end at the terminal of the brush part.
Tried the hollow brass tube trick, but my brass tube is neither long enough nor of a sufficient ID to do the job. And the breechplug has been in well over 160 years.
Trying McMaster-Carr and other suppliers (Grainger, etc.) for a 3' piece of suitable tubing. The barrel is not going anywhere, and I am a mostly patient soul.
Did you try removing nipple , pack some 3f or 4f in the nipple hole , install nipple and shoot it out .?

I messed up !
I ran a cleaning patch down the bore of my 50 cal TC Hawken barrel.
The patch came off and got stuck down in Breech .
I couldn’t find my patch puller jag , so I put a brass brush on and ran that down , thinking I could pull the cleaning patch out with that…guess what , next thing happens is my brass brush pulls off my ram rod ! What I didn’t realize is that the threads on the brass brush were a smaller size than my ram rod threads ….that’s why it pulled off
I couldn’t find a cleaning rod with the smaller diameter threaded end , to try and reattach the brush down in the bore
I cut a small piece of monofilament fishing line and put it in the treads of of my ramrod , then when I screwed it on the lost brass jag , it tightened right up with the mono jamming up the threads ..
I carefully pulled the brush out and it worked…Ha
Now I needed to still get that patch out , so I had one of those screw type ball puller jags ,
I ran that down and got it screwed into the cleaning patch and got it pulled out …

I went on line and ordered a nice 50 cal jag attachment kit with the 10/32 threads that my rod has .
Lesson learned , make sure jag tips are proper size for your ram rod thread
Glad you got it out! Now do yourself a favor throw the brush away!

I had that happen once. Took the corkscrew out of a cheap can opener and welded it on a 1/4 inch rod. It will screw around the center of the brush and pull it out.

Latest posts

Back