• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stuck nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
update
still stuck in there
allen wrench i am using is 6 inches long also tried a t-handle one
did use a heat gun today still no movement back to soaking with the kroil
if not out by the time i get back from a shoot on sat i will apply the torch to it and see what happens
thanks t-buck

A study done by Machinist's Workshop magazine in their April 2007 issue looked at different penetrating oils to see which one did the best job of removing a rusted bolt by measuring the pounds of torque required to loosen the bolt once treated.

If the study was scientifically accurate, it turns out a home brew works best!

Here's the summary of the test results:

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............. 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

50/50 mix ATF and acetone.

Interesting chart-- I actually recently used liquid wrench and heat to free a stuck flintlock jaw screw. It was helpful in finally getting it free. Is the acetone mix a home brew thing or is it something you buy in a store?

update again
looking more like it is gonna take a ease out or drilling to get it out
not the one that uses the 209 primers but looks a lot like it
good news is i just finished my last green patch this evening and it was kinda enough to rain this evening about 8 o'clock so maybe those will come in good now
thanks again for the ideas and support
t-buck

Ray-Vigo said:
Interesting chart-- I actually recently used liquid wrench and heat to free a stuck flintlock jaw screw. It was helpful in finally getting it free. Is the acetone mix a home brew thing or is it something you buy in a store?
Home brew.

UPDATE
hey just want to thank all of you for your suggestions,ideas, and help here
the nipple is now out and in the trash where it belongs
process used to remove it was soaking with kroil/gentle tapping each day for a week// this morning was the day of serious attempt to remove it
put the allen wrench in got the hammer out and started tapping the wrench getting more force full it would not budge
next broke out the propane torch heated it up tapped a little let it cool down with more kroil on it then tapped it to settle it down
next put the heat on it real good put the allen wrench in and gave it some serious taps after a minute of this it started to break free

last bit of advice to pass on--- take the nipple out and clean after shooting and use some anti seize when installing it
but most of all stay away from these type of nipples the ones that use the small pistol primers sorry do not know the brand name of it

thanks again to all
t-buck

Good new's, Sure glad you got it out without damage, and good advice too,
, it's always nice to see a follow up to a thread like this

Man , that must of been a good feeling when it first started to move ! Glad ya got it out .

“In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins ”” not through strength, but by perseverance,” :grin:
”“H. Jackson Brown

here is an atta boy for all of you guys here
i really want to let you know that i appreciate and thanks you for the time and effort you put in to help me on this with your ideas
i do belong to another forum it is a 22 rimfire place not going to mention the name but when i asked for advice form some of the experts there about building a 1o/22 for my son it was like if you don't know what you are doing you shouldn't be doing it not the way you all pitched in and offered all kinds of advice here

again thanks to all /// and the 4h kids told me to pass along their thanks to you all also
the rifle was for them for their muzzle loading training and shooting
t-buck

Living in a rural area, the 4H kids are a big part of life. Most go to the fair to see the animals.

I'm glad you got 'er fixed. I couldn't think of anything to tell you except what the fellars said.

Teach em good and get them hooked! Take them to a rendezvous if you can, they are a hoot!

Latest posts

Back