• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stupid Question/Poll about REAL Black Powder Sales

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a state as tough as Massachusetts [belive it or not] I have two gun shops with in 15 mins. of home that carry black powder. The catch is, we can only store two pounds at a time, five with a special permit from the fire marshall which is imposible to get. The problem here is there aren't enough people buying the black anymore to make it worth it to the gun shops, with all the fees involved...Stoney

Where I'm at there are 3 shops within a 30-40 minute drive that carry black powder. @ of them are kind of hit or miss as far as having the powder but the thrid is pretty reliable about having it. That being said the prices on it run between 2 and 3 times more than if I order it from one of the distributors. Needless to say I order mine most of the time. If I am only buying a can or two it is actually cheaper for me to drive to the oppisite side of the state (2 1/2 hours one way) to hit a small gun shop there that stocks real black powder.

5 or 6 within 50 miles at bout 15.00 to 20.00 a pound....or i can go 20 miles to J&J pyro in moscow PA to git it at 11.00 a pound....i don't have to buy 25# lots eighter................bob

Unless they stopped carrying it, Thunderbird Cartridge Co. Inc. at 7215 W. Southern Ave. Phoenix, Az (602)237-3823 was carrying Goex and Swiss.
Thay liked to be called ahead of time so they could get the powder out of the storage vault.

Now, as I don't know where you live, maybe that's more than 50 miles away from you??

Zonie :)

None that I am aware of around the Indianapolis area. I order about 10 lbs per year online. I guess I could buy some at Friendship, In about 90 miles away.

Where you live, or with in 50 Miles is there a Sporting Goods Store, Gun Shop, or other Place you can walk into and Purchase REAL Black Powder by the 1# Can.

No. Nearest retail is in Tucson, about 90 miles away. Last time I was there all she had was Elephant. She carries GOEX and Schuetzen, just happened to be out. Had a smallish powder safe she stored it in... might have held 50 lbs when full, but only guessing.

The internet merchants ship my powder to me via UPS. Same is true of brewing supplies, etc, etc. Couldn't manage without it.

Not that I am aware of here in Chicagoland.

I've ordered all mine.

Went by your above Chicagoland post, figured you were in or near the city.

I took my millwright apprenticeship there in the early 60's, got my journeyman papers, then immediately got out of Dodge and went west.

mwindy said:
None that I am aware of around the Indianapolis area. I order about 10 lbs per year online. I guess I could buy some at Friendship, In about 90 miles away.
manure. If I lived only 90mi from friendship I'd buy it there. The cost of 180mi (RT) worth of Petrol is not $20+ for me.

OTOH, have you been to Waldron to Deer Creek Products? THey don't have a website, but they carry Goex, Swiss & Schutzen. Delivered you have to buy a case, but they also sell Bulk. They probably sell individual cans retail.

They aren't too far off of US 421.

Deer Creek Products
6989 E Michigan Blvd.
Waldron, IN 46182
765-525-6181

They also sell (among a whole lot of goodness)decent (not great) flints for $5.20/doz.

TANSTAAFL said:
Went by your above Chicagoland post, figured you were in or near the city.
Well, I am on the commuter rail line...

Michicgan City is considered a Chicagoland Beach Retreat Community

There is no place in this state that you can buy black powder retail that I'm aware of :shake:

I guess I'm lucky. We have a Cabelas store right here in town that stocks Goex continuously. :grin:

Stone Bridge said:
For a state as tough as Massachusetts [belive it or not] I have two gun shops with in 15 mins. of home that carry black powder. The catch is, we can only store two pounds at a time, five with a special permit from the fire marshall which is imposible to get. The problem here is there aren't enough people buying the black anymore to make it worth it to the gun shops, with all the fees involved...Stoney

Actually, its a Homeland Security issue. Or so I have been told by three different Massachusetts Gun shop owners.

I have to travel 45 minutes in one direction and two hours and across state line in the other.

Actually, its a Homeland Security issue.

Then it should be true nationwide?

I can buy it locally but it's cheaper to mail order it.

I was surprised to find this true as well.... even with the HAZMAT fee and shipping charges, I can get GOEX at less per pound than I can get Elephant after driving for 2 hours, and that leaves out the cost of gas.

Hey Pennypincher,

Just a thought. I belong to a couple of clubs. One of them buys a couple of cases at a time. We have a member who attends from out of state and picks up the powder (avoiding hazardous shipping fees) and brings it to us. We are able to sell it to members at $12.50 a pound and still make a dollar per can for the club.

Charcloth.

Claypipe said:
Stone Bridge said:

Actually, its a Homeland Security issue. Or so I have been told by three different Massachusetts Gun shop owners.
The shipping bit is HS. Here in IN we can keep a full 50lbs without Fire Marshal approval depending on your city.

I'm not surprised the PRMA won't let you keep more than 2 lbs. The Govt. actually learned somthing from Lexington & Concord - never let them have powder in the first place. :cursing:

All this and still we can't discuss PC Home Brew. (sigh) Thank you BATFE. :shake:

charcloth said:
Hey Pennypincher,

Just a thought. I belong to a couple of clubs. One of them buys a couple of cases at a time. We have a member who attends from out of state and picks up the powder (avoiding hazardous shipping fees) and brings it to us. We are able to sell it to members at $12.50 a pound and still make a dollar per can for the club.

Charcloth.
Errrmmmm... Rephrasing might be in order. YOur club does not have the correct BATFE permits to "sell" powder. Indivuduals may participate in a "group purchase" from a Licensee, but cannot "buy" from your club.

It's an important distinction that could get your club into serious hot water.

Back