• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stupid Question/Poll about REAL Black Powder Sales

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in a DC suburb in Maryland and it is pretty exactly 50 miles to the next store that sells real BP, Goex in this case. I am planning to order my next lot (max 5 lbs allowed in MD) from Powderinc, just because I want to try Kik and Swiss and that shop doesn't carry those.

For everything they do carry, I have decided to buy from the local stores even if it is more expensive than online or at the big stores, since I too would hate to see the little stores go away. If I am not willing to pay a bit extra for the convenience of having a local gun store around, who will?

Steve

Old Ironsights,
Wow, now that is some great insight....Now who goes to jail, most likely for
life, the seller, the club buyer or the member
buyer. What about the guy that wins a # or 2 at
a club shoot. I guess he goes to jail also....
To my knowledge this has not occurred as yet.
Legit gun clubs have not been hasseled by the
ATF restrictions, so far. Can't say it won't
happen, and I am sure we will hear about it if it
does.IMHO
snake-eyes :hmm:

snake-eyes said:
Old Ironsights,
Wow, now that is some great insight....Now who goes to jail, most likely for
life, the seller, the club buyer or the member
buyer. What about the guy that wins a # or 2 at
a club shoot. I guess he goes to jail also....
To my knowledge this has not occurred as yet.
Legit gun clubs have not been hasseled by the
ATF restrictions, so far. Can't say it won't
happen, and I am sure we will hear about it if it
does.IMHO
snake-eyes :hmm:

The key word is "Yet" and changing that is sponsored by a Leftist Near You next election. (ok, no mor politics)

From the Powder Inc. Release which all purchasers must sign:

STATEMENT OF RELEASE AND CERTIFICATION

I certify that I am at least 21 years of age.

I certify that all powder I purchase is solely intended for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes.

I certify that I am not purchasing Black Powder or ammunition for resale.

I certify that no local or state ordinances prohibit my purchasing or possessing black powder or ammunition.

It is agreed that the purchaser named below shall hold Powder, Inc. harmless and indemnify it against: each and every loss; cause of action suit on account of purchaser; or damages to or loss of property of any third person growing out of purchaser's operations and or actions under this agreement or otherwise.

You would have to ask a legal type, but AFAIK the fine line a Club walks is if they only "sell" to members then they fall under the spirit of "group purchase". But if they sell to a non-member then they are participating in "retail sale", which is a no-no.

I'm in Lancaster Co., about an hour from Dixon's. I can get to two places that sell it, within 15 min. and another shop in about half an hour. There are several other shops inside half an hour that might carry it but I don't remember asking them.

Merced County in central Calif is basically a "Dry" county. Regulations make it hard if not impossible for retailers to stock black powder. It can be purchased at rendezvous or neighboring counties.

One small general store in the next county has KIK, but not GOEX. They get double $ for it, too.

Here in North East Texas we had a few places till ATF ran them all into the ground, the last place fought for 2 yrs then lost the least, closest place was well over 100, then FOUND it in a PAWN shop not 20 miles from me, they got to be the last. Took 20 mins 2 get 2 cans of Express,DL what are you going to use it for, all brand new S to me, only took my name address and blood twice! Damn Im lucky to get out alive............FRED :thumbsup:

Bioprof, are you refering to the Mitchell SD Cabelas?
Now why would one store carry it, and not the others, none of the Cabelas up here carry black powder, and after extensive searches, I cant find anywhere in North Dakota that carries it.

Looks like ill be getting mine online.

Boone

The new Powder storage rules have been in effect since Mar.1- 1996 under chapter 527 cmr 13.04. The permit I spoke of costs $10.00 and issued by the local fire Dept. Chapter 148 section 10 A of the Ma general Laws. As I am to remember Mass came out with their own state Home land security act last May. More info can be had at[url] www.goal.org[/url] Stoney

Last edited by a moderator:
citizens should not fear government....government should fear citizens...read all these posts...why are we bowing down?!

:hatsoff: to old ironsights,

Of course, we buy it with club funds and only dispense to club members. Point taken.

Charcloth

Our local Riverside BP store sadly closed, so I get mine whenever I'm in San Diego (El Cajon Gun Exchange) or in Orange County (Walker 47). Would love to find a more local source though, if any Inland Impire BP shooters see this post!

sdery I live near temecula ca thats in riverside they have no problem with bp you can get it at accurate arms I get goex there and I think they sell a couple other brands also . I think the goex is about 12 bucks a can . Also over in hemit bj's had bp the last time I was there it has been a little while sence I was in there though but I was just at accurate so I know they got lots of it.

I guess I'm lucky, I pass by a gunshop on my way home from work each day 5 mins from my house,and he's always got some goex. And another about a 1/2 hour drive north, and yet another 20-30 mins to the east of here. I used to have a buddy who worked for a branch store of our company go to that one and buy a pound at lunch and ship it to me on the company truck!It's true that its getting harder to find- there used to be 6 places in the county where you could buy it!

Zonie said:
Unless they stopped carrying it, Thunderbird Cartridge Co. Inc. at 7215 W. Southern Ave. Phoenix, Az (602)237-3823 was carrying Goex and Swiss.
Thay liked to be called ahead of time so they could get the powder out of the storage vault.

Now, as I don't know where you live, maybe that's more than 50 miles away from you??

Zonie :)

Thunderbird is still carrying Goex. I just talked to them recently (didn't ask about Swiss, so I'm not sure on that). I haven't actually gotten around to buying any from them yet, so I can't comment on price. And, yes, they do ask that you call a couple of days in advance. :thumbsup:

P.S. AZ-Robert, I'd sure like to know the name of that place in Tuscon. I remember being in a little shop down there about 5 yrs ago that carried real Black, but I can't for the life of me remember the name or exact location of the place. :bow: :)

Musketeer Von Blunderbuss said:
P.S. AZ-Robert, I'd sure like to know the name of that place in Tuscon. I remember being in a little shop down there about 5 yrs ago that carried real Black, but I can't for the life of me remember the name or exact location of the place.

Probably the same place... tiny storefront, postage stamp sized parking lot? Then it would be

Thunderstick Trading Company
1125 N. Jefferson (Speedway & Craycroft)

520-290-8599

There are still a few places within 50 miles of me here in NE North Carolina and SE Virginia. (Southern Gun Works and Bass Pro Shop to name a couple). Other places have stopped carrying it or have closed shop all together. Some gun shops will order it for ya' but at about twice the cost. I now order mine from The Maine Powder House. Great service.

Where I live in WY, I have to drive about 125-130 miles to buy powder at a little hole in the wall store in Montana. Not to long ago, I could buy it 2 or 3 places in town here.

Back