• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sub-Gauge Percussion Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks- no I want to build a fowler, so these might work (staying with a smoothbore) :)

The only reason I asked was that I see so many people shoot trap or skeet with a mounted gun and then try to shoot in the field with the same stock and then can’t figure out why they are over shooting every bird. I asked about cast-off because that can affect the amount of drop at the comb you need. But if you are confident that you have the correct dimensions for a field gun, then go for it and enjoy.

Ah, I see. I usually shoot low gun, even clays. Only exception is if there is a trick shot set-up where your window to see and break the clay is very, very short. In that case you simply don't have time to mount and shoot, but you know exactly where to you will be shooting.

I'm actually looking to build an early Spanish Escopeta. The barrel length and caliber is about right. I ordered a 16 guage one and will see if I can get it to look reasonably correct (Tinker 2 had a very nice conversion of a numrich barrel on a trade gun when I visited him a while back).

My ulitimate goal is a 16th-17th century fowling piece for upland bird hunting and maybe some large game with roundball. Planning to build a miquelette lock with it.

Get yourself a short barreled Northwest Gun. They are simple, strong, 20 ga. good for shot or ball and easy to sell or trade when you get bored with it.

Back