• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Suggestions for a short rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vautrain

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I got my first muzzleloader several weeks ago, a Lyman GPR. I've shot it a few times, and while I like it really well, I'm not used to the muzzle-heaviness of it. I'm not the tallest or strongest guy around.

I'm going to give myself more time to get used to it, but I'm also wanting to explore options for obtaining a slightly shorter rifle. I think something around 40" or less overall would feel much more balanced to me. The Lyman is about 50" overall. I guess a swamped barrel would also help make it feel more balanced.

I'm posting this here, because I'm not sure if I have a preference regarding ignition. My GPR is percussion, but I woudln't mind owning a flintlock. However, either way, I would need a left-handed rifle, which pretty much nixes most commercial offerings.

I know some Jaeger-type rifles can be fairly short, but are there any other rifles I should consider? I'm not necessarily interested in total PC-ness, but it would be nice if the rifle weren't a complete fantasy.

Right on, Mike! Jim Chambers offers a very good looking english sporting rifle. I may have built that instead of my jaeger but it wasn't available back then. Check out his web site to see a picture of it.

I definately agree with Mike Brooks, I have a real soft spot for English rifles. A 28 to 31 in barrel length with a light jeager swamped barrel profile and a reasonably dense piece of walnut will finish up around 7 lbs in .54 cal. Left hand english round face locks are available from L&R. Just some food for thought. :hmm:

BTW don't rule out a Jeager. They handle quite well. Chambers makes the large left hand siler lock wich would be a good choice as well. Reliable locks are primary worry in building any gun.

CVA Bobcat. Nice and cheap. Be sure to load the stock up with lead or she'll kick your teeth outta your head :g . When I first shot mine I was dumping 100 gr. under a ball. It was kicking me all over the place and guy's where laughing. :rotf: :rotf: Bruised me up real good after ten shoots. :) I came back a week later with some lead in the stock to balance her out. I had also did alot of filing on the front and rear buck horn sight. The laughing stopped when I produced 1" groups at 50 yards off hand. Everyone wanted one! It's a very accurate little rifle if you have time to tweek her out. "Thumper", is now one of my favorite cappers. Almost forgot to mention that the Bobcat cost me a whopping $55.00, new with warranty. Wish I had bought a bunch of them they are getting hard to find in my neck of the woods.

A dear friend asked me the same question a number of years ago. He had purchased a J. Henry trade rifle and it was just too heavy...

Percussion - get a thick rubber washer that fits over a spare nipple and cusshions the hammer. Flintlock - carve a "flint" out of hardwood. Now you can dry fire it. Put a target up in the garage. Make sure the gun is unloaded. Pick it up to your shoulder each time you dry fire it, and dryfire it 10 times a night for the first week, 15 times a night the second, 20 times a night the third week, etc.

Some folks tell you this is to learn the sight picture. Nope, this is a muzzleloading weight program. It wasn't long after this that my skinny "weak" friend was shooting occasional perfect scores and being very competetive in our local club.

If you're looking for a short rifle that can be shot either right or left handed, look at an underhammer. They are available in the white with a choice of 26" or 32" barrel length. They come in .36, .45, or .50 caliber or can be ordered as a custom barrel in any other caliber you desire. These are also a very inexpensive gun at only $255 includung shipping. (customs are almost double price)

Thanks for all the suggestions! Responses below...

Mike Brooks said:
You could go with an 18th century british sporting rifle. too.

Jaegermeister said:
"Right on, Mike! Jim Chambers offers a very good looking english sporting rifle.

Thanks for the suggestion. The Chambers model might be a bit too long, though. It's still 46". I'll look into others of the same type, though.

TANSTAAFL said:
Ten minutes and a hack saw. :rotf:

Laugh it up! Actually, I briefly considered having the barrel professionally shortened. I wonder how much that might cost.

TennesseeJed said:
Sounds like you need a Lyman Deerstalker instead of the GPR.

The Deerstalker is a little too modern for my taste. I wouldn't mind putting a Deerstalker barrel on the GPR, but I don't think it will fit.

B.Habermehl said:
I definately agree with Mike Brooks, I have a real soft spot for English rifles. A 28 to 31 in barrel length with a light jeager swamped barrel profile and a reasonably dense piece of walnut will finish up around 7 lbs in .54 cal. Left hand english round face locks are available from L&R. Just some food for thought. :hmm:

Who else makes these? I could spend quite a bit more than the GPR, now that I've been irreversibly bitten by the bug. :haha:

B.Habermehl said:
BTW don't rule out a Jeager. They handle quite well.

I haven't ruled them out, just weighing my options. I like the appearance of the TVA and Early Rustic Jaeger-types. I wonder how much they usually weigh, they seem somewhat heavy looking, despite their length. Even a 9 pound rifle would feel better than the GPR, though, if it was quite a bit shorter.

john12865 said:
CVA Bobcat. Nice and cheap.

That *is* cheap. I'm betting I'd have a hard time finding one in lefty, though.

Doc Arroyo said:
A dear friend asked me the same question a number of years ago. He had purchased a J. Henry trade rifle and it was just too heavy...

That's good advice. Actually, I do some exercises like that already, though not as structured as what you're suggesting. It's definitely good practice, regardless of whether the rifle is too heavy.

Bald Mtn Man said:
If you're looking for a short rifle that can be shot either right or left handed, look at an underhammer. They are available in the white with a choice of 26" or 32" barrel length. They come in .36, .45, or .50 caliber or can be ordered as a custom barrel in any other caliber you desire. These are also a very inexpensive gun at only $255 includung shipping. (customs are almost double price)

I assume you're talking about Blue Grouse? I've seen those before, and they do look interesting. A bit funky, but interesting nonetheless. I really like the Zephyr, but I'm not quite sure I want to spend that much money ($1500+), and I know I don't want to burn up 175+ grains every shot.

If you want short, well balanced and good looking, check out the short version of the Perdersoli Frontier Rifle. A friend has one in 50 cal, and it is a pure delight. Accurate as can be, yet unbelievably well balanced for its short length.

I wouldn't totally give up on a right-handed rifle as this gives you more options and may not be as awkward as perceived. A month ago or so due to a right eye vision problems I started shooting left handed. The transition, all with right hand rifles (cast-off etc.), has been remarkably smooth. Still have the wobbles but the guns fit okay.

I wouldn't totally give up on a right-handed rifle as this gives you more options and may not be as awkward as perceived. A month ago or so due to a right eye vision problems I started shooting left handed. The transition, all with right hand rifles (cast-off etc.), has been remarkably smooth. Still have the wobbles but the guns fit okay.

Let me clear a few things up for you here....... :hmm: Don'r associate long barrels with a heavy gun. Swamped barrels take care of that problem. I've found all straight barreled guns ungainly and muzzle heavy, it's the nature of the beast. If ERA and TVM are making the "Jeager" rifles with straight barrels you're still going to have a muzzle heavy rifle.
And, I wouldn't go with a left handed flintlock of any kind. They have no resale value. A right handed gun with left handed cast off would be a better choice.

BrownBear said:
If you want short, well balanced and good looking, check out the short version of the Perdersoli Frontier Rifle.

I did see that rifle, and I really like it. If only it were available in lefty...

squirejohn said:

Mike Brooks said:
And, I wouldn't go with a left handed flintlock of any kind. They have no resale value. A right handed gun with left handed cast off would be a better choice.

I don't want this thread to turn into a left v. right debate (of the apolitical kind, even!) but I've had some experience with right-handed muzzleloaders.

The first right-handed percussion I shot burned two holes in the right sleeve of the shirt I was wearing. I wore long sleeves because I suspected that would happen. I also shot a right-handed flintlock that day, and while I had no problems with it, I think in the long run, I would prefer to have the pan on the left side of the rifle.

While resale value may be a consideration, I don't want to make it a major consideration, as I think it makes for a rather poor one.

Mike Brooks said:
Let me clear a few things up for you here....... :hmm: Don'r associate long barrels with a heavy gun. Swamped barrels take care of that problem. I've found all straight barreled guns ungainly and muzzle heavy, it's the nature of the beast. If ERA and TVM are making the "Jeager" rifles with straight barrels you're still going to have a muzzle heavy rifle.

Well, that's an interesting point. I don't think I've ever handled a rifle of any sort with a swamped barrel. I was generally associating long barrels with an unbalanced feel, not necessarily excessive weight. The GPR has two problems- it's heavy, *and* it's unbalanced. Point taken about the Jaeger-style rifles offered by TVM and ERA. I had already decided that I was going to order swamped barrels on a Jaeger-style, if that's what I decided to go with.

Perhaps I should decide on a swamped barrel, regardless of the length of barrel, or the style of rifle. I wish I could handle a rifle with a swamped barrel.

Thanks again, I appreciate the comments...

Had a .54 bbl back in the 70's that had a whoops on drilling for under rib, boy cut it down to 22" and made it into a shorty that has since taken many a head of game. Rather easy job to file the muzzle flat and square, then crown.

TANSTAAFL said:
Ten minutes and a hack saw. :rotf:

Laugh it up! Actually, I briefly considered having the barrel professionally shortened. I wonder how much that might cost.[/quote]

I think this is a MLF member's site: Barrel fluting :grin: [url] http://www.johntaylormachine.com/services/?PHPSESSID=03b1a1fca2a3d24908c4e4296c0d7b69[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Articap,
Thanks for the address. We would like to have our GM barrel converted from octagon to half round/half octagon. It is way too heavy as is; for our preference.
Best Wishes

Back