• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Suing The Turkeys At TOTW

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenfilthie

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Last week I was all cranked up because I ordered one of those brass fire starting kits from TOTW. I couldn't wait to spark up a blaze and start running ball right over my campfire like the pros.

So my wife gets this thing, takes a few swings with the striker and nearly cuts her fingers off. I rudely grab the toys away from her, cursing her roundly for an oaf, and give it a try myself - and open up three of my knuckles with a razor sharp piece of flint! GAH!!! :cursing: Jeez that HURTS!!!

Now the only finger I have left on my striker hand is my trigger finger. Should I risk it? I have to get a blaze going with this friggin thing or all the other black powder geeks will laugh at me! :barf:

Hmmm. Should I sue the turkeys at TOTW for false advertizing? Obviously this thing doesn't work and all the lore about primitive camp craft are lies. Or should I use my horrible injuries as an effort to cash in on a nuisance law suit??? Hopefully I can win a cash award big enough to finance a Bic lighter...
:shake:

They were a dangerous thing to use. Heck, no one that used them all them 150+ yrs. ago are even around to tell us!

Anyone who starts fires with flint and steel has his share of scars he EARNED learning how to do it. Carry them with pride. Just don't expect to be playing Piano concertos for a couple of days. :rotf:

Seriously, those are badges of honor, for any buckskinner. I was fortunate to belong to a BP club where several skilled members showed me how to avoid cutting my knuckles and fingers. I did it anyway, but not quite out of the gate, as you have. I got sloppy later on, and had to learn my own lessons.

How many matches did you light before you figured out how to do it without burning your finger???? :hmm: :hmm: :grin: :wink:

All of us die hard real Mountain men use road
flares.... :bull: :blah:

Operator error is not an excuse for suing anyone. :v

Yes,it does work, however, there is a definite learning curve involved with any new skill, and more so with primitive skills, since few of us are primitive people.

My friends and I use nothing but flint and steel for fire starting in the woods, even in adverse conditions. Flint and steel is almost fool proof, once one becomes proficient with it, so bandage your fingers and find a mentor or search the net for instruction.

Are you sure that is "Brass"? Never heard of flint and brass. All the fire makers I see at Track are made of steel :hmm:

Inquiring minds want to know. Do you have an item number for this menace? Is it a tinder tube? I can't figure this out, but the first tip I would tell you is to try holding the flint in the moving hand and the steel motionless over the tinder. :wink: When you get the skills THEN you can hold the "nest" of tinder in the receiving hand.

Because of those sore/bloody knuckles when I was first starting to learn how to use flint/steel for fire starting, I quickly learned to hold my striker with a "pinch" grip - even the C shaped ones. Thumb on one side and two or three fingers on the other side - to hold the steel between them. This lessened the amount of skin exposed to those sharp edges on the flint, and ended up giving me more control. Plus there are many shapes/styles of flint strikers that can only be used with a "pinch" grip.

The other part of my ... learning curve ... with flint/steel fire starting was getting a GOOD steel striker. I went through several before a friend gave me a GOOD one. WOW, what a difference that made. Instead of having to POUND the steel against the flint to get a few weak sparks, they almost jumped off of that steel by themselves when I showed it the flint. A slight "ticking/glancing" swing/hit is all that should be required to get good sparks from a proper flint striker and sharp flint. Again, you should not have to POUND one against the other just to get a few weak sparks!

That early experience also showed me a lot of what I needed to do when I started forging up flint strikers myself. I did not want to pass any "bad" ones on to anyone else - after my own experiences while learning.

So with a good steel striker, and a good sharp edge on your flint, the rest is just a matter of learning to control your swing and technique. There are a number of video clips out there on youtube showing flint/steel fire starting. I haven't seen them so I cannot comment on how good they might be. I have a dail-up connection on an old "infernal machine", so I can't watch videos.

The BEST way to learn is some ono-on-one instruction with a friend who knows how. That person can them show you how, and then watch you do it - with a critique of your technique/method. Sometimes little tweaks make a big difference.

Hope this helps.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

The other thing to remember is that you will NEVER get the same amount of sparks from a traditional steel flint striker that you will be able to get from those modern ferro-cerrium rods that they now call "fire steels" or "flint" (on that Survivor tv show). Those are a modern manufactured material, and all you have to do to get tons of sparks from them is scrape them with a sharp piece of metal. That material is the same thing that is in a BIC lighter under that friction wheel - to generate sparks.

So a traditional steel flint striker will never generate the same amount of sparks as that modern material.

When I still taught fourth grade I held a Pioneer Day in which one station was "flint/steel fires". The kids worked in pairs with a kit of materials I gave them. Before starting in I told them to watch the flint and steel come together. "Don't watch a girl walk by or you will cut yourself."

I had bandaids BTW and used a few over 12 years. I also asked them if anyone had a beard. Sparks have a way of blowing out of your bird nest and catching in the beard. (Don't ask how I know that.) Luckily none of my fourth graders were old enough to grow a beard.

All in all, it is great fun to teach 10 year olds to use flint and steel. In many cases the girls were better than boys - the paid attention to directions.

Regards,
Pletch

Over the years, I've taught many kids how to use flint/steel to start a fire. And it's always a battle to overcome several problems with them. Attention Span is a big problem. And their desire for INSTANT RESULTS. They sorta listen to your explaination, and kinda watch you demonstrate it. But when it comes time for them to do it, too many kids forget almost everything you showed them - reverting to the ONE THING they all remember. If you HIT the steel against the flint you GET SPARKS! They all remember that part, but often forget all about proper technique - especially if they get frustrated by not getting INSTANT RESULTS. I've seen kids devolve down to swinging flint and steel at arms length directly against each other in a full on direct hit - nothing even close to a glancing/ticking hit. And then throw both down on the ground and stomp off grumbling about it being defective!

And then the MACHO stuff kicks in. THEY can hit it HARDER that anybody else - and get MORE sparks of course. Especially if they have to show off to their buddies or some girls.

Good flint strikers break fast when kids aren't ... controlled ... as they learn how to use flint/steel. One-on-one instruction is almost required - to control their enthusiasm, and keep their "technique" in proper form. And the experience must be repeated several times for them to fully remember it.

Of course, there are always exceptions. Some pick it up with one good demonstration, while others go whining to their parents about it not working right for them. And every level in between.

I even developed a "kid proof" striker for some camps and scout troops - because of all the problems they had with kids not using them properly and ending up breaking strikers. It is a version of an oval striker. I took one that was fully heat-treated and sparking well. To test it, I then held it on my anvil and hit it with my 3 pound hammer - a dozen hard forging blows! Both on the flat sides and with it turned up on edge. It did not shatter or even crack. But I did bend it a bit. And it still threw good sparks. The one boy scout camp has been using them for several years now, with hundreds of kids using them. The only problem they have had was ONE got ... lost ... or walked off.

p.s. The other big problem is convincing kids that flint/steel do not throw the same amount of sparks as those ferro-cerrium rods do. And that you can't just "scrape" them to get sparks like with those ferro-cerrium rods.

Mike Ameling said:
you will NEVER get the same amount of sparks from a traditional steel flint striker that you will be able to get from those modern ferro-cerrium rods that they now call "fire steels" or "flint" (on that Survivor tv show).

I have found that it doesn't take lots of sparks to ignite good char; it only takes one good spark, though two or more is better.

So, forgive my ignorance, but what color should you heat one to temper it. How hard should it be, I assume not white hot from your testing method.

It sounds like operator error. When you say "brass" kit, is this what you mean?

book-msft_1.jpg

One thing I did to keep my nuckles away from the flint was to use longer pieces of flint. I use the longest piece of flint I can get in my kit. I do not cut myself making fires now. However I did get a flint cut off my rifle gun at the range today! That was not the flints fault just a small case of Dumb Arse on my part. That is why they make band aids!
:thumbsup:

I'm sure that "Brass"is a typo, meaning a brass case with a flint/steel striker was meant! I've taught hundreds of yuppie newbees to light fire with flint/steel, either the "Mountain Man" way (holding the TOW/Char in one hand wrapped over the flint and and swinging the striker or the Boy Scout way of making a nest of Char/Tow on the ground,holding the striker and swinging the flint, sparks flying onto the nest. Either way KEEP Your Fingers back from the edge.

I think you might be a canidate for a FIRE BOW! You stated that your trigger finger still works. Put a piece of char cloth in your flintlock pan, close the frizzen and pull the trigger! Walla! The spark catches the char cloth and your fire making is all but done! JMHO

Rick

PS.....Hope ya gots da flintlock!

slowpokebr549 said:
So, forgive my ignorance, but what color should you heat one to temper it. How hard should it be, I assume not white hot from your testing method.

In heat-treating, there is a point in the "red" color range where a magnet will no longer stick to the steel. That is the critical heat-treat temp. When you quickly quench/cool your steel as it is at that temp, it will now be a as hard as you can get the steel.

And that is when a flint striker will work the best - when it is as hard as possible. But it will also be brittle at that point, and likely to crack/break from the shock of striking sparks. The knife makers will selectively heat their blades back up to ... draw the temper ... back a bit from this point - to make their blades less brittle, but still hard enough to work well as a knife blade. But a knife blade ends up being too "soft" to work well as a flint striker.

So you need to take other steps to reduce the final brittleness of your flint striker. The BEST TIP I ever got on this came from a knife maker. He told me to "thermo-cycle" my flint strikers before the final quenching. To thermo-cycle, you finish forging your steel striker to final shape. Then heat it up to that critical temp where a magnet will no longer stick to it. Now pull it out of the heat and let it air-cool until you do not see any red color in your striker. Now do this two more times. Then heat back up to critical temp and quench in water or oil. Your striker will now be as hard as you can get it, but also be far less brittle.

That "thermo-cycling" removes any internal stress in the steel from the forgin process. It also shrinks the internal grain structure in the steel. The smaller the internal grain structure, the less brittle it will be. If you heat your striker up past that critical temp, the grain structure starts to expand once again - just like when you were forging it.

So that tip about "thermo-cycling" the striker before the final heat-treat quench was the best tip I ever got in making a good flint striker.

The other thing to remember is to start with good high-carbon steel. Some modern files have junk low-carbon steel inside them, and were case-hardened on the outside. So only the teeth have that high carbon content. So they won't make good flint strikers, or good knife blades either. So test the inside of any file you might want to make a striker or knife blade from - before you put all that work into it.

I prefer to use new steel when making flint strikers. I either buy new stock from a steel supplier, or I go down to the local farm fleet store and pick up some "agricultural" steel. Lots of agricultural steel is made from 1080 high-carbon steel - like hay rake teeth, and bolt on plow shares and cultivator points. And the price is generally less than buying new bars/rods from the steel supplier. Those modern hay rake teeth are generally 1/4 inch round rods, and around 30 to 36 inches long - after you straighten out the coils/bends. You can make 5 to 6 good C strikers from one rod - which will cost around $1.30 per rake tooth. 5 inches makes a good classic C striker that will fit most hands, and 6 inches works a little better for large hands.

For "scrounged" steel I look for lawn mower blades. They are generally made from either 1084 or 5160 steels. The hardest part is cutting/chopping them up into small pieces to make into your strikers or knife blades - and working around the holes in the center and any letters/numbers stamped into the original lawn mower blade. And you can generally get them for free.

Garage door springs can work well. But you can also run into problems with stress cracks that built up over the years, and some inconsistent alloy content inside the springs themselves. So occasionally one section of spring will work and heat-treat differently.

Hope this helps.

Mike Ameling said:
Garage door springs can work well. But you can also run into problems with stress cracks that built up over the years, and some inconsistent alloy content inside the springs themselves. So occasionally one section of spring will work and heat-treat differently.

Right on Mikey. The garage door springs, or old hay rake teeth show inconsistent alloying as dark lines, at a bright heat. The lines aren't real dark but they are a noticeable difference in color where the alloys meet.

Back