• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Summer hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Now that summer will be officially around the corner, what do you plan to hunt for? Just curious. This summer will be pretty lean concerning the issue of hunting for me.

bigbore442001 said:
Now that summer will be officially around the corner, what do you plan to hunt for? Just curious. This summer will be pretty lean concerning the issue of hunting for me.
Unfortunately, we can't hunt on Sundays here in NC.
:(
To make matters worse, for my weekend shooting at the range I use, I normally can only shoot on Saturdays.
:(
The heat & humidity are both up in the 90's now so I'm not too thrilled with the idea of hunting anytime except at the very first light on Saturdays, and that's when I'm at the range.

Unless I get bored shooting muzzleloaders on Saturdays, I'll probably wait until hunting season comes in again...planning to try and get a dove with a Flint smoothbore Labor Day weekend and that's not that far off...10 weeks

Groundhogs, I will hunt them until the soy beans get too tall or I find them feeding in a field of fresh cut hay.

Here in Illinois, there are several species that are unprotected, including pigeons, english sparrows, and red wing blackbirds. Coyote hunting is legal year round, provided you have a hunting license and habitat stamp. Same for ground hogs( there is a closed season in the Spring) and 13 stripe ground squirrels. Rats in the dumps , when you can get permission to hunt there, are always a popular target. Some get quite large.

Mr. bigbore442001,
We will continue to hunt Squirrels, Hare, Black Bears and Grizz through the summer.

We are into our "24hrs of daylight" phase. Land of the Midnight Sun :thumbsup:
Best Wishes

If I see a nice Axis deer I might take a shot. They are not native Texan's and there is no closed season for them. They are a lot bigger then the white tails we have around here. Have not seen one lately but I see the whitetails are growing horns..

I've been chasing chipmunks with my blunderbuss and trade gun. :grin: I'd love to get a woodchuck but they never pop out when I'm armed. :cursing:

Ground squirrels and pigs are the most huntable this time of year here. It's a bit of a risk hunting with a M/L during the summer though. Always a chance of setting the world on fire. :hmm:

I just spent the weekend at my dad's farm and removed a few chipmunks with my new GM .40 cal barrel in my TC Hawken. Worked well.
Shoe

Griz er, uh, groundhogs, and 'yotes are about all there is that's interestin'. I might take a pot shot at a crow if'n I happen to be totin' my smoothie. :applause:

Stumpkiller said:
Anything that moves in the cleared kill zone between the house, garden and chicken coop that isn't my dog or wife . . . in that order. :grin:

LOL on that order!

Here on the desert its mostly S&S for ground squirrels and jack rabbits during the summer, if you can stand being out in the sun/heat. Some of the predators have no closed season here, but they have very poor fur this time of year so I give them a free pass unless for ADC.

paulvallandigham - Friendly FYI: I'd check for local laws on Red Winged Blackbirds pard. In all but rare instances they fall under federal protection (Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act), with no open seasons along with most of the other Corvids.

"Blackbirds are protected by Federal law in the United States."
(Title 50, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 21.43)

YOu are correct. I was thinking starlings, and wrote red winged blackbird, instead. My mistake. Thanks for the clarification.

Summer hunting? Well I like to go to Texas from time to time to hunt exotics. In Texas it cost me $50. for an exotic license the last time I went. So long as it's not native to Texas you can hunt it. I've shot Aoudad (sp?) Axis deer, boar, Texas Dall sheep, ect. Your only cost would be to get permission to hunt of properties or higher a outfitter.

I killed an Axis in 110 degree heat. :shocked2:

I think if you check the Federal regs on Red-wing Blackbirds you'll find they can be dealt with if a causing harm to agricultural crops. At least that was what I remember from years back in Texas. Find a grain farmer and offer to rid the skys of them.

Cormorants that prey on the stock of commerical fish farms were also legal targets. Again this info is a few years old and may also vary from state to state. Be wise and check the current regs for both Federal and state.

Boonedocker-

I know the regs well pard - that's why I added the suggestion to check for local regs and that they are federally protected except in rare instances. When you've done hobby ADC as long as I have you soon learn that the regs is just another tool you have to use to do it legally.

Private landowners can usually get special depredation permits to legally distroy almost any species that is a threat to their crops, livestock or land - even threatend and in rarer cases endangered species. You can use those permits to remove that species on that landowners land too, but usually only if you are immediate family or an employee of that landowner not hired just for the erradication. Hired ADC folks usually get their own permits.

Easy to get around with a sympathetic landowner who wants your help. One example: When I lived in a different state I had a sheep rancher that wanted PD's removed from his grazing pasture because too many of his flock was suffering broken legs from stepping in their burrows. And his land was in an area where the PD's were both state and federally protected. NP, he got the depredation permit and I mended fences for him as a part time ranch hand. Great way to spend a weekend in the outdoors, easily paid for the powder/bullets and it helped the rancher out with two of his problems.

You should still check local laws though as they can vary a lot more than the federal laws do, especially on who can and can not use the permits.

HTH

Back