• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

summer project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful Gun! From an untrained eye's point of view the skill is most apparent and the subtle details are secondary.
I believe that the critique that 54Ball delivered is priceless. Objective, constructive and obviously well thought out and professional. If he'd have critiqued a build of mine like that I'd feel honored and certainly not hurt. I was glad to read that you took his words as they were intended and not as an attack.
Razorbritches, I can see you'll be turning out some great work in the not too distant future.

Congratulations on a fine build.

Ok guys I am back home finally, and after much pondering have decided to do some rework. It was a tough decision for me because I believe you should hang onto your mistakes for a while, they are a benchmark of how far you have come. And whats worse is the gun functions perfectly, feels great, shoots straight. It all comes down to the fact that sometimes what ain't broke still needs fixin. So I shaved off the lock pannels and glued on new ones, gona put in a new lock and shave some body fat. The way the gun was set up to begin with limits what I can do, but we will see what we see. Here's a pic of the new lock panels glueing up.

trade gun inspired
Yes, "inspired", you make no claim at an attempt to perzactly, exactly recreate a certain type olde gun. Some folks, who I admire for their knowledge and expertise, are obsessed with the tapered barrel thing. So wat? It is yer gun. Ye did fine, especially for a first attempt. Only a few on this forum can do as well, the rest of us admire and acknowledge we are not as skilled. For critique, the only thing that offends my eye is the rear sight. It comes off as blocky and clunky to me. But, if you like it, it is perfect. All around, you deserve a big :thumbsup:

Part of my critique was going over technical flaws. I've saved the best for last.
That gun is special. It made me smile. I would love to have it. I really mean that. Now I might change a little on it color wise but not too much.
Studying that gun and all it's quirks let me see how you see it. That's special.

I'm kind of sad. When I said I liked your gun the way it was I really meant it and I really would have liked to have had it.

Whats done is done though. Mys son's type G will be here today. I'm going to post some pics in the smoothbore section. If you need any pics or measurements or pics from any angle let me know.

I have just read through this thread and must say your critique and advice was outstanding.

As a hobby builder myself, I can take many of your words and apply them to my own projects.

I believe many of us who do build tend to leave far too much wood on our first projects. Maybe it's because we expect "more meat" to be in the stock or we are worried about not being able to put some back if we go too far.

After my second or third build to cure my personal "phobias" (or whatever you want to call them) I left the stocks unfinished (or in the white) and put the gun away for a week or a month.

With a bit of time away I tend to see the small errors better and can rework areas more to my liking.

But once I have the stain/finish on, "it is what it is" and I don't mess with it further..

I appreciate all your comments and critique men, and yes a little time away has helped me see the things I need to do differently. For those who liked it the way it was I hope you will see your advise put to good purpose in the rebuild. Right now the lock panels have been shaped and inlett but the stain did not go on the same shade even though the wood was from the same board. I had to move on to advanced staining techniques. And use my custom one of a kind pigment blending device It,s starting to look pretty good the finish blends with the paint marker and is evening out the look.

Ok men here we go, first off I tried not to change the placement of any of the original, pins, screws, or bolts it kept the procedure simpler. Inletting the new lock required new lock panels they just weren't big enough to take the new lock. The lock internals fit with very little modification only the sear hole, and a little for the mainspring (first pic). The trade gun lock, trimming the body fat, and reshaping the areas around the lock panels helped alot. It didn't fix everything but let me know what you think.

Very very good.
I was afraid you going to deep six your side plate. The new panels were skillfully done. Great job.
Now I think you need to polish that lock bright and then give it just a little patina to match the rest of the build. :hatsoff:

PS amazing transformation!! I must commend you again. It's much harder to reconstruct than construct.

Latest posts

Back