• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swiss powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burt

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Can the same amount of Swiss powder be used as when using Goex or does the Swiss charge need to be dropped down? (FFg and FFFg)

Burt said:
Can the same amount of Swiss powder be used as when using Goex or does the Swiss charge need to be dropped down? (FFg and FFFg)
Reduce the swiss powder about 10%-15%.
Swiss bp burns faster and cleaner.
:hatsoff:

I would suggest that you re-sight the rifle when you change the powder type.

When I changed from Swiss to wano (because swiss is no longer available in Australia) I had to adjust the rear sights on the rifle.

I had the same question on another thread and what I was told was everything from you dont have to to that if you dont you will blow your self up. To much gray area for me so I contacted the makers of both rifle and powder.And was told load as normal just dont go over the recomended max load. I shoot a 58 cal and my patched ball load is 90 grains of 2ff swiss and my conical load is 110 grains of 2ff swiss. Hope this helps.

Have a look at the Loading Data For Muzzle Loading Firearms Using Swiss Black Powder tables at www.black-powder.co.uk. These should give a useful starting point, although they are loads essentialy for target shooting so those hunting may wish to adapt them for their quarry.

The MLAIC references on the page are to international competition events.

Not that the European grading numbers is different to the US 'F' system.

Swiss #2 = FFFg
Swiss #3 = FFg
Swiss #4 = 1.5Fg
Swiss #5 = Fg

David

A lot of information! Thanks again for all the help. I have not shot the musket yet, still gathering info at the moment...and learning how to cast the correct bullet. I plan on using the N-SSA Hodgdon bullet for target shooting. I have been told it will weigh around 420gr. After I get the hang of it and I feel I can hit the target as I want, I'm sure it will be in the field for hunting. Thanx again!

IMO, you can safely load the same amount of Swiss powder that your currently using in your rifle.

The reason folks suggest that you reduce the load 10-15 percent isn't because of safety. It is because Swiss is slightly more powerful than regular powder so if you shoot the same load that you have been using, your shots will hit higher on the target or game.
By reducing the load, the shots will hit at about the same height.

zonie :)

Here is an interesting question, how do PRESSURES compare with Swiss vs other powders? I know with CF rifles I can get as much (or more) velocity by proper selection of powder ( for example dupont 3031 in a .222 Remington), with equal/less pressure (e.g. longer case/chamber/barrel life).

I have seen much on this forum about: 1) you can get more velocity with an equal amount of Swiss, 2) use less powder to get equal ballistics, 3) less fowling with Swiss (not always clear if it's reduced volumes).

So anyone know of data with pressures vs. volumes? Seems that this is what's important for max. loads with Swiss. Have seen posts here that it's safe to use same volumes as Goex, others say 2F Swiss = 3F Goex, is that for velocity, pressures, or both?

David Minshall said:
Have a look at the Loading Data For Muzzle Loading Firearms Using Swiss Black Powder tables at www.black-powder.co.uk. These should give a useful starting point, although they are loads essentialy for target shooting so those hunting may wish to adapt them for their quarry.

The MLAIC references on the page are to international competition events.

Not that the European grading numbers is different to the US 'F' system.

Swiss #2 = FFFg
Swiss #3 = FFg
Swiss #4 = 1.5Fg
Swiss #5 = Fg

David

David, Thank you for the interesting link. I am very intersted in long range shooting and am consdering getting a Gibbs (Pedersoli).

Anyway, to the point. Your link gives loads listed for Swiss #2 and #4. Do they not use #3 for some reason, or is this just an ommison from the database for brevity?

best regards, Mad Professor

Back