• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Firestorm

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SD it is a flint lock. Thanks for the information. I will try the RB. how do conicals do with light loads.

i was shooting 90-100 grs of 2F bp with the maxi ball and maxi hunters. did not have much luck. I need to spend some more time at the range with these suggested loads.

Can you clarify. 1 in 48 twist? Does this mean one full twist in 48 inches? Are higher twist rates for longer bullets?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Rate of Twist means the length of barrel it takes to turn the projectile a full 360 degrees, or ONE turn. 1:48 means One full turn in 48 inches.

Longer, heavier bullets need FASTER ROTs to stabilize them. So, if you are shooting a 530 grain .458 bullet, you will be looking for a 1:20, or 1:18" ROT. For Round Balls, the optimum ROTs can be as SLOW as 1:66", and in some calibers, even slower. I have seen .75 cal. barrels with a ROT of 1:105"!

It does not take much spin to stabilize a round ball of that diameter., particularly when you consider the relatively short range you can shoot such a large Round ball out of a gun with iron sights, and the steep trajectory the ball has after only 50 yds.

if you want to shoot conicals i would suggest either a buffalo ball-et or hornady PA conical.these weigh 240-245 gr. and shoot very well for me out of 1/48" barrels......karl

Thanks for all the information guys. I am going to get some round balls and conicals and hit the range in the late winter and see what I can do.

I also plan on getting a TC Hawken for my son (14 yrs old). I read good things about the Lyman flinters but would have more access to parts for the TC if needed.

Back