• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Flintlock Parts (Cockscrew)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worker11811

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'll be needing a cockscrew for my .54 cal. Renegade. The original one was busted off before I got it. The lock works fine. I tested it. I think it's a case of somebody over tightening it.

So, I go out looking for a replacement and I can find no such animal at ANY store. Places like Gander Mt. and other hunting/sporting stores just look at you like a zombie. Most of the gun shops will just tell you that they don't stock flintlock parts.

I gave up on that and decided to go to the hardware store and get a generic replacement until I figure out where to get the genuine article. Turns out it's an odd size screw.

It's not a 10-24 or a 10-28. Too big in diameter.
It's not a 1/4-20. Too small.
It's not a M6x1mm. It fits into the try gage but it's very loose.
It might be a #12 but I don't have a gage with threads for #12.
I KNOW it's 24 threads per inch. I used a caliper to measure exactly 1/4 inch and counted 6 threads. (6 x 4 = 24)

As luck would have it, on the way home from the hardware store, I met up with a neighbor who I know is a muzzle loader. I show him my part and he says he's got one just like it in his workbench. "C'Mon over tomorrow, after lunch." he says.

I go there and try the screw. It doesn't fit. The threads are too fine. I'm guessing it is a 28 thread.

The funny part is that he's got a T/C Renegade just like mine only several years older.
(The serial# on mine is 135000 where the serial# on his is 77000.) The screw with the finer thread fits his perfectly.

Did T/C change the design of their flintlocks at some point? What for?

So, a few days after Christmas, I called the factory only to find out that they are on shutdown until after the New Year. (They probably all went out hunting! Right? :wink: )

I had hoped to get this gun out and get it sighted in and maybe, just MAYBE, take it out hunting but circumstances seem to be against me. Even if I called them tomorrow I could never hope to see that part before the end of the week. By then it'll be too late!

What can you tell me about the cockscrew for T/C flintlocks like the Renegade?

Are the threads on the cock clean? There is the possibility that they have been pulled by the over tightening that broke the screw. If that has happened you would be best off to replace the cock.

I don't think so...

renthread.jpg

Worker,
One good thing about T/C is their lifetime warrenty.Give them a call,talk to their repair dept and tell them your situation and they'll tell ya the scoop.You also might want to ask Roundball here on this forum,He is the resident T/C Expert. :thumbsup:

Worker 11811 said:
What can you tell me about the cockscrew for T/C flintlocks like the Renegade?
When TC redesigned their Flint lock assembly in the mid-to-late 90's that included changing the hammer, top jaw, and jaw screw.....and neither the top jaw or jaw screw are interchangeable between the old style and new style hammers.

TC will give you a replacement jaw screw but to be safe, I'd mail the whole lock to them so they can get the correct one in there...and if the lock needs any other updated parts, they'd probably take care of them at the same time.

As an FYI, to avoid something like this from possibly spoiling a hunt in the future, you might buy a few little backup parts from TC to have on hand anyway...like a spare jaw screw, a spare 'fly' for the tumbler, a spare hammer mounting screw, etc...cheap little things that could put you out of commission like this jaw screw has...very hard to find gun parts in hardware stores

roundball said:
you might buy a few little backup parts from TC to have on hand anyway.

I was planning on ordering a couple spares. I figured while I had them on the phone I might as well not fuss around.

What really surprises and disappoints me is that catalogs like Midway USA, et. al. don't stock even a modest supply of parts like this. You can buy parts for just about any gun from them. Heck! If you wanted to custom build a gun from scratch you could probably do it just by ordering parts from Midway.

But not even one part for a flintlock! :confused:

Worker 11811 said:

Just as an FYI...I always like buying gun parts from the manufacturer so I know I'm getting the latest version of something...places like Midway for example, might have gun parts in their bins that have been sitting there for years...

In most cases I agree but T/C is on shutdown for the holiday.

They are closed between Dec. 24 and Jan. 7.

I was hoping that one of the online retailers could get me through until then.

You might try TC's Fox Ridge store in case they might be open for some reason...
800-243-4570

Worker, RMC Sports has replacement Parts for T/C locks. Here is a link(If it don't get deleted this time) to their lock parts page.[url] http://rmcsports.com/catalog.htm[/url]

And they are located in Pa. and have a store. They are in Mingoville. There is a map to their store on the sight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the cockscrew on my T/C flinter break during PA flintlock season this year (overtorqued it!). Made a replacement from a 12-24 bolt from the local hardware store. Got a new one from T/C after I got home, and all is well. I'm getting the new hammer, but I didn't know they also redesigned the top of the jaw. What's the difference between the new and old top jaw? Also, is there a new frizzen, or are they the same as the old ones?

Ken

PaBorn said:
Had the cockscrew on my T/C flinter break during PA flintlock season this year (overtorqued it!). Made a replacement from a 12-24 bolt from the local hardware store. Got a new one from T/C after I got home, and all is well. I'm getting the new hammer, but I didn't know they also redesigned the top of the jaw. What's the difference between the new and old top jaw? Also, is there a new frizzen, or are they the same as the old ones?
Ken
There seems to be a slight difference in the bevel cut on the back side of the top jaw, or, the angle of the hole drilled through the top jaw for the jaw screw to slide through is at a different angle, etc...whatever it is causes the top jaw to bind/pinch against the upright part of the hammer as you're tightening the jaw screw down...without even having a flint or anything in it.

The new hammers are much taller and have a slghtly different angle of attack into the frizzen...the frizzens are new as well and easy to spot...they are no longer case colored, they're jet black all over...TC's redesigned locks are outstanding now.

And if you're not aware of it, they also introduced a new, redesigned vent liner...extremely fast ignition

Well, I found a supplier (The Gun Works..Talk to Suzie)with T/C parts, and after much discussion, found out they had a combination of new and old parts in stock. Given the discription of the new hammer (less of an indentation around the hammer screw, and taller), and the top jaw (as you described), and the frizzen (almost black), they had the parts. Total for the complete hammer assembly and frizzen was under $30.

Would have gotten these from T/C, but they haven't responded to an email from 11/12 which was resent after that. Besides, I needed some other things, and this way I didn't have to ship anything to them, and I have the original parts. Not that they are worth anything, but I like to have the original parts of any guns I have.

It is my understanding that T/C does business the old fashioned way. They write orders by hand, using a little-known implement called a "pencil". Thus, e-mail probably doesn't get read except for the two computer geeks who work in shipping and receiving during the busy season.

:wink:

Kidding aside. It's probably best to call them and speak in person.

You'll have to wait until next week, though. They are on shutdown until the 7th.

PaBorn said:
Well, I found a supplier (The Gun Works..Talk to Suzie)with T/C parts, and after much discussion, found out they had a combination of new and old parts in stock. Given the discription of the new hammer (less of an indentation around the hammer screw, and taller), and the top jaw (as you described), and the frizzen (almost black), they had the parts. Total for the complete hammer assembly and frizzen was under $30.

Would have gotten these from T/C, but they haven't responded to an email from 11/12 which was resent after that. Besides, I needed some other things, and this way I didn't have to ship anything to them, and I have the original parts. Not that they are worth anything, but I like to have the original parts of any guns I have.
And if you'll get some Tom Fuller 3/4" black english flints, TC's redesigned vent liner, Goex 4F in the pan, and 3F for the main, you'll think you're shooting a Marlin .30-30 :grin:

Already have the new vent liner. Already use Fuller flints, but use 5/8 and they are wide enough. Have been using 90 grains of 3f behind the 370 grain maxi, and 70 grains of 3f behind a patched ball. Both shoot very well. I hunt in WI and PA, and it seems when I'm out with the flintlock the weather is lousy....so I prime with 3f as well and only have one powder to worry about. I has always gone bang. Took a nice 8 point during PA muzzle loading season this year.

I used a couple dozen of the little 5/8" flints when I first started because somebody suggested that size...then I learned that flints are sized based on the width of the frizzen, so I tried a couple dozen of the 3/4"...got a lot more sparks and a lot longer flint life with the 3/4" than the smaller 5/8" so I've stayed with them ever since...

Judging by all that you guys have said, I think the best course of action is to call up T/C to tell them about the gun I've got and the things I need.

So far, it looks like I'll be needin' a hammer a top jaw a couple of screws and a vent liner... at least.

And all that's going to have to wait until at least next week because they don't open back up till Monday and I will be busier than a cat covering manure on a marble floor until at least Wednesday or Thursday.

IF I can call them up on Thursday or Friday it won't be until the next weekend after that when I will have time to put all the parts together and take the gun to the range. :confused:

It's amazing how something so simple as a screw can ballocks everything up like this! :(

Back