• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken .54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, prices are higher. The T/C Hawken I am looking at runs about $800 if not more new. I have checked around on many online sites and the .54's are pricey and hard to find. This one is like new. So, basically it is half the cost of a new one. I am going to offer him less than the asking price and waive some cash under his nose. Hopefully, we can meet somewhere in the middle. Really don't like buying guns online unless they are new. You never know what you are getting without seeing it first. You hear all the good stuff, but very little of the bad. And that is normal since you want to sell the thing.

I have done well buying neglected T/C's and installing GM drop-in barrels. Also have had a Seneca where a breech plug from TOW was used to make a .40 cal with GM barrel. In so doing, it was unnecessary to alter the rifle. Here in Tennessee prices on used traditional cap lock rifles is not high. The guns with hammers are not real muzzle loaders. It make for good deals for those of us who think otherwise.

You have to consider the stock, nice figure or no figure at all in the price, figure is nice.

I do not like the later front sights and would pay a premium for the older front sights.

Condition is what matters, nothing else.

It's not hunting season, guns are not selling as well now versus hunting season.

Ask him to come off the price of the sales tax, here it's 8.25 %.

I will only buy when I can handle a used M/L and inspect it or have a five (5) day inspection period.

As time goes by, it will get harder to find nice T/C's, they are out there, but I like buying where I can see one.

Since you live where you do, you might mention the no lead use in parts of the state may impact the use of that type of firearm and it's marketing.

I really like .54 calibers. I have two .54 GPRs, which have a 15/16" barrel. I wanted a T/C Hawkens, so I got one off of Gun Broker. My mistake! The rifle was in like new condition, but that 1" barrel felt so heavy and chunky. It shot great, but I just did not like the feel. I finally gave it to my nephew and replaced it with a .54 Lyman Trade Rifle. which has a 15/16" barrel. May want to check around before you lay down that kind of money on a used rifle.

cowpoke1955 brings up one of the best reasons for buying in person, you can pick the rifle up to see if it fits and if it is to heavy for the buyer and is the length of pull okay.

Stock fit, what may fit me okay may not fit another person.

BP rifles are hard to come by in my neck of the woods. And as I stated before, don't like buying online. Want to see it and hold it. Will give it the fit test when I go in tomorrow. There is another gun shop down the road that has some rifles, but most are in nowhere near the condition this T/C is. They are mostly Cabellas and Traditions and not a whole lot cheaper. Not going to rush into anything.

Am pretty stoked today. Went by the gunshop and got the T/C .54 Hawken percussion rifle. He was asking $400 for it. After a little back and forth, I got it for $350, with no sales tax and he threw in 1lb of Pyrodex RS. This gun is in great shape. The bore is a little dusty, but that is an easy fix. He spent about 20 minutes going over it with me as far as what loads to use etc. Probably could have found one online cheaper, but would have been at the mercy of the seller as far as condition and shipping charges. I have been looking at this one for 3 months. I am happy with the deal and can't wait to get to the range. Need to pick up all the needed accessories this weekend.
:grin: :grin:

Sounds like you did all right. Let us know how it shoots for you. If the last owner shot a lot of conicals in it, you may have to clean the lead out of the bore to get it shooting.

Since he only fire it a couple of times, doubt if he used conicals, but who knows. Plan on giving it a good cleaning this weekend.

I bought a NEW OLD stock TC 50 Cal Flint lock from Gun Broker a couple of years ago $450.00 plus shipping it did not have the QLA(sp).
If it would have been used I would only consider looking at one in person.
I have heard to many stories of people getting ripped on used rusty junk to consider an online purchase.
I have looked for a 58 TC for many years but have not found one.
Good luck with your new to you TC 54.

I got ripped off on a gunbroker deal last year. I am much more cautious now concerning muzzleloaders found on there.

Check as much of their feedback as you can (I ripped the guy a new one), see if they do a return policy, and ask for lots of pics. If they cannot do all of that, then let them alone. Any honest person would do a return policy.

I have a gun on there right now and I offer a 2 week return policy! Good luck...there are some wonderful-looking guns on there sometimes!

Greg

I aways ask on the front end for a 3 day inspection for any firearm, period.

A while back I bought a 54 t/c hawken that had only been shot 19 times and put up. The guy bought the gun in 99 shot it, clean it and put it in his safe where it sat until i bought it. the first 8-9" of the bore had rust pits from lack of oil and the rest of the bore was OK. I ended up making an electrolysis cleaning rod and after a couple soakings I got the bore rust free. The gun shoots very good with PR.

The electrolysis cleaning system is the way to go and far easier than scrubbing with steel wool. mike

Back