• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

t/c hawken kit ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve hill

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Why is the kit so much cheaper than the finished
gun?I would like to get a flintlock and am thinking the t/c kit would be the best buy for
my money can anyone give me some ideas on this.
If the kit is lesser quality then I will wait but
it appears to be a pretty simple build am I missing something or would this be a quality
gun that I could enjoy building with my son?
thanks in advance.

The quality should be the same. The difference in price is the the amount of labor involved in hand finishing the rifle. Actually I would think the profit margin is higher on the kits given the amount of time it takes to finish the rifle.

The TC is a good quality rifle and should make a nice project for you and your son. The trouble is that if he helps a lot he will have play rights. :winking:

traddawg said:
gun?I would like to get a flintlock and am thinking the t/c kit would be the best buy for
it appears to be a pretty simple build am I missing something or would this be a quality
thanks in advance.

An awful lot of work...I bought a TC Hawken used that had been made from a kit and a poor job at that...took me forever to finish everything the way it should have been...even the metal parts still had the machine marks all over them...I'll never do another one.

You can find like new, mint condition used TC Hawkens on auctions all the time in the $200-275 range...especially now after the seasons are over.

I built one when I was 14 with my Dad and Great Uncle. Turned out great, still have it, after these many years, and would not sell it for anything. The quality is the same the advantage is that you can customize it to your taste. Also it is a great way for a young person to learn some good skills and spend time with the old man. :hatsoff:

traddawg said:
thanks in advance.

I have heard that T/C's lifetime warranty doesn't cover a kit gun, but don't know that to be fact. The kit has the same components used in the finished rifles, you just do the assembly work. I enjoy working on kit guns just because I like that kind of stuff. I find T/C's kits to be quite easy because 99% of the inletting is done and you basically assemble the parts and finish the stock and barrel. Yes, you do have to file and smooth the cast metal parts and you have to do some minor shaping on the stock for best metal to wood transition. One advantage of a kit is you can choose the finish for your stock and barrel. If you are like me, and enjoy that kind of thing, you will have no problems assembling and finishing a kit and will end up with a fine rifle.

I built a kit cherokee quite a while ago (16 years) and the stock cracked. They gave me no problems. I sent it to them and they replaced it, and also put a new ramrod holder on, buffed all the brass, and sent it back in a new box with a new owners manual...tc rocks

Weren't the T/C Hawken kits discontinued quite a few years ago?

aap2 said:

No...they were dropped from TC's main catalog but are available through TC's Fox Ridge store...800-243-4570 (and I believe are listed in the Fox Ridge catalog)

roundball said:
aap2 said:

No...they were dropped from TC's main catalog but are available through TC's Fox Ridge store...800-243-4570 (and I believe are listed in the Fox Ridge catalog)
Catalog #34, page 72

Back