• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C hawkins capping problem, help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both Lyman GPRs and 3 T/C rifles being 54's and the T/C is as you describe. I like it better that way as when it is capped the cap will not fall off while hunting at half cock with T/C due to hammer being so close to it. On the other hand the Lyman Gpr at half cock leaves plenty of room to cap and plenty of room for cap to fall off nipple as well.... and get snagged on brush or whatever. Just practice safety and when capping always point in a safe firing direction until after you have the hammer released and back into half cock. I think the T/C position at half cock is safer in the long run....."just practice gun safety at all times".....like someone else said..."go to a flinter if you feel to uncomfortable with capping nipple this way". I personally like the T/C tolerances at half cock better as I feel less room for error while carrying rifle in hunting scenario.
Jim in Idaho

sabinajiles said:
ss1 said:
welcome matt sutton, I wonder if there is a difference between 54cal & 50 cal. Is your t/c new or older? Does any one else have t/c hawkins that can be capped at half cock?

It shouldn't have a thing to do with caliber as the geometry of the barrel to to the lock doesn't change with caliber. I'm not sure but it might be that newer T/C locks have a higher half cock position than older ones. I have a handful of T/C caplocks and most have the low half cock position but one of them does have a higher half cock.

FWIW, I have shot T/C caplocks for 30 years and have never had, or even come close to having, an accident lowering the hammer from the full cock position after capping.

I've got two TC renegades and one can be capped half cocked and the other can't. There is a difference in the locks I noticed when I took them apart for cleaning. The one which can't be capped at half cock has more of the lock internals made out of stainless steel. Sorry I can't remember the exact parts which were different as it was about a month ago.

Zonie said:
It's just a guess, but I think T/Cs idea is if the nipple is capped at full cock, and the hammer is lowered down and brought up to the very low half cock, there is less chanch of a branch catching on the hammer.
Using this rationale it might be safer?

The hammer/nipple gap may be set close to prevent the cap from falling off, should it come dislodged from the barrel of the nipple...

T/C hammers are hooded too (recessed), there may be more clearance than can be seen at a quick glance...

When hunting I some times have to let the hammer off from full cock to half several times a day. No problem----- just be careful --- thats just the way it is. :hatsoff:

ss1 said:
T/C hawkins, 50cal. At half cock, there is not enought room to install #11 cap, hammer sets to close to nipple, almost flush. Using rifle nipple. What is the problem? Is there a adjustment, something broken, or what ? Help

The design of the old style hammers with the tall thumb piece sticking straight up are the only ones I've seen that sits close to the cap at half cock...I happen to prefer the looks of the old style designed hammer and the remaining caplocks that I have are all that way by choice.

But at any rate, the hammer nose on the newer swept back designed hammers sit further back, away from the cap at half cock.

I don't happen to like that hammer design as there is a lot of curve in the hammer thumb piece...and when pulling it back to full cock, particularly with gloves on, it gets down so low along side of the tang that it struck me as being a lot easier for the thumb to slip off than the old style straight up design...IMHO of course... :winking:...so I don't use that newer style hammer.

roundball, good info,i felt like there was a reason why some hammers set higher than others. I just shoot targets, in informal matches, I would feel safer if I can get a "new style" that would allow to cap at half cock.My hatfield is this way, and I really like it.
tried to contract T/C today, no luck. Will keep trying untill I get trur to them.thanks to all for the info.

ss1 said:
roundball, good info,i felt like there was a reason why some hammers set higher than others. I just shoot targets, in informal matches, I would feel safer if I can get a "new style" that would allow to cap at half cock.My hatfield is this way, and I really like it.
tried to contract T/C today, no luck. Will keep trying untill I get trur to them.thanks to all for the info.

TOTW and Cains Outdoor both sell parts for T/C locks and should have a replacement hammer. I would assume it would be the newer style but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

ss1 said:
TC of course sells parts for their own muzzleloaders
1-603-332-2333 - select Customer Service

I also have a 50 cal. T/C Hawken, and don't have the problem. Mine is 10 years old, and I use a T/C brand field capper tool. Not a lot of extra room, but the tool does fit.

Latest posts

Back