• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Seneca

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The matrial usually runs around .015-.018. If you have a mic take it with you and measure some. They may look at you funny, but if they have been there a while and there are a lot of MLer shooters in your area, they may be used to guys with mics in the fabric dept. :grin: I don't use bore butter, but a lot of people do, You can use any lube you want to on it. I usually melt some lube (I used Crisco for year but recently got some bear oil/ beeswax lube i have been using) in a pan and dip a strip of patch material in it then lay it flat on a paper towel to dry.

The last time I was at Wal-Mart, they had a striped material which was much thinner than the "pillow ticking" that I use for patching.
The material had wide stripes on it, not the 3/16 inch ones on the material I use.

Whichever material you end up getting, make sure it says 100% cotton on it. Synthetics of any kind won't do.

zonie :)

Question for you... do you use Maxi or round balls in your .50 caliber muzzleloader when deer hunting? I'm just curious... [/quote]

I only use maxi-balls. I have never fired a round ball in anything but my Ruger Old Army.

The .36 seneca maxiball with 50 grains of FFFG is a formatable round. Personally I would be more confident firing that at a deer than I would my .50 flintlock.....mainly because that .36 seneca is just plain deadly accurate out to 100 yards.

On our property in WV I have a stand where I set up so that every shot at a deer is basically a bench rest shot. Just like shooting off of sandbags. I have a unique perch amongst some bolders that offers me a great view of a large expanse of woods below me without being detected. My longest kill so far there is about 160 yards with my .50 flintlock. I would love to take the .36 there and see what I can do out to 100 yards.

Killing power as I understand it is a factor of velocity of the projectile, weight of the projectile and diameter of the projectile. At the ranges we shoot at deer with a muzzleloader (100 yards or less) the .36 has to have as much or more killing power than some of the lighter .24, .25, .27 and .30 centerfire rounds out there being used on deer.

By the way the internet is an amazing thing.....T/C had discontinued their .36 maxiball mold many years ago. I searched gun shops for a number of years in vain to find the mold. A couple of years ago I did a search on the internet and within half an hour I found one for sale on the web. It was delivered within a week and I now have more .36 maxiballs than I could ever shoot.

Is your T/C Cherokee a 24" barrel. Does it shoot good groups or is a longer barrel needed. If so does anyone make a longer barrel for it?
Thanks
Jim

I have a .36 Seneca that I have shot in local matches for several years. I use a Hornady .350 round ball and 30 grs 3F GOEX at 25 and 50yds and 35grs at 100yds. Pound of powder lasts forever. I precut pillow ticking patches (Wal Mart material) using a nickel as a pattern. I wipe the bore about every five shots. Can't tell any difference in point of impact with clean bore or dirty bore after cleaning. Have also shot a few squirrels with it. The accuracy is excellent. I bought it used 15 or more years ago.

Latest posts

Back