• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Taking care of the inevitable "wounds"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV_Hillbilly

45 Cal.
Reaction score
To my muzzleloading fellows and gals,

Regardless of how careful we might be and safety orientated when handling firearms. There are sharp edges on the guns themselves, and on the various accessories that also can scrape and cut and gouge us. And since the propellants used generally cover our hands and arms with fouling as well as the gun, we are susceptible to infections. I also have Type II Diabetes, so ANY kind of cut or when the skin is broken can really be nasty for me.

It was a post in another section prompted me to see what kind of "first-aid" procedures, (either self applied, or requiring minimal help from another person) that you practice--when getting those little unavoidable nicks, scrapes, punctures, cuts, abrasions, et cetera. Nothing serious now mind you--IF it's THAT bad, you really ought to be heading for more experienced assistance, and with the latest training and supplies.

Since we are from so many varied location in the USA and around the world, I realize that some of the brand names of compounds, salves and ointments, even bandages, can vary considerably. I'm planning on putting together yet another little "first-aid kit" just for when I'm shooting the muzzleloader at home, at the range, or in the woods hunting, and some groundhog/marmot infested fields as well.

This is like anything else, IF you don't want to answer or participate that's fine. But I'd like you to reply with at least one little incident--and what you did to "doctor" the wound(s). IF you have favourites amoung the various products would you please list a few as well.

I don't know if this would make a good poll... what do y'all think?

Regards, & Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

PS Now don't forget to make up your own little "first-aid kits" to take with you when muzzleloading...

When I get what counts as a boo boo I wash with water if I dont have clean water on hand I use alchohol wipes to clean it up and then I put the smallest band aid on it i can get away with.Now a long time ago I was working in a febricated marble shop.I was buffing a top next to a guy who was useing the buffer to hone a chisel and as soon as I thatght "Hey that thing can go flying!"it did and got me on the knuckle of my trigger finger .I thaught it was a gonner.Any way we had no big bandages but the secratarey Braught one of those sticker kind of tampons to stop the bleeding .I washed with plane soap and water and got glued back together .I did go to the hospital and the DR. sed soap and warm (NOT HOT) water is just dandy.

WV Hillbilly-I always keep a small first aid kit in my truck.However we were at our primitive range and I got stung by a wasp(that smarts) I did not want to walk all the back to me pick up.So I sprayed some Ballistol on the sting,the pain was gone in a couple of minutes,later in the day rub some on and the swelling started going down.I have used Ballistol on bee stings,scratches,rashes, cuts,with great results.A big plus is you can clean your rifle with it..I never leave home without it.Respectfully Montanadan

That goes along with what have said about Ballistol---anything that smells that bad has got to be good :shake:---like Castor Oil as a kid----I maintain that Ballistol will cure Beri-Beri, Ricketts, Jaundice, the Galloping Ephus and the Whistling Staggers---just spray liberally or rub in the affected areas. :crackup:

Since almost all of my shooting is done at camp, I have a large first aid kit with various wipes, astringents, bandages, etc. In the 4 years of running the program there, I opened it once. An adult volunteer got a paper cut opening a box of pyrodex pellets (serves him tight), and since he had been handling blackpowder for a few hours, it was quite painful and needed one of the special scooby-do bandaids to feel better. :)

Since I have a trach I need some specialized kit- I carry alcohol, peroxide, sterile water and saline, bandages, dust/filter masks, gloves (that FIT!!), and a backpacker's first aid kit too.

One of the best things I found is actually part of my trach kit- little saline 'bullets'. 5ml of sterile saline in a squirt-type tube. Just enough to clear dust or dirt from the eyes, flush a small cut, or even the intended purpose of adding humidity to my lungs quickly. Not sure if they're available non-prescription but they come in handy when there's no really clean water to flush what needs flushing.

Oh- and for any first aid or care kit... GLOVES. Non-latex and make sure they fit. Most of what comes in the store kits are sized small and will be useless in any real situation.

For flint cuts on fingers, where a band-aid is a pain, I like new-skin. It stinks like airplane glue but it covers the cut and doesn't get in the way. Occasionally I have used my wife's fingernail polish instead.

I got a burn from my flash pan. It was really hurt'in no first aid items on hand. I used the Bore Butter from a patch. Stop the pain right away.

:redthumb:
Redwing

I got a burn from my flash pan. It was really hurt'in no first aid items on hand. I used the Bore Butter from a patch. Stop the pain right away.
I'm not surprised about that. My Ox-Yoke Wonder lube smells just like Ben-Gay and have wondered if that's what it really is?

I will recommend Mycitracin, or Bacytracin they are both antibiotic ointmnents and will treat everything from burns, cuts scrapes etc.... I have used this since my days in the service. Will also help heal faster!

Last injury hand slipped off ramrod, and front site put a pretty good gouge in my hand!

Mule

I like alovera straight from the plant. Lots of it growing wild around this area. Just eat it, squeeze it from the plant onto the effected area. Spread it like butter, just about anyway you want to do it just get it on and it will probably take care of the problem. Cuts to bites to burns been used by aztecs and natives indians for years.
Fox :thumbsup:

In the field I have a little "Outers" hiking first aid kit for the teeny wounds. I also have a bandana/neck cloth for larger (old Boy Scout neckercheif type can be used for a zillion things, dressings included).

In the car I always carry a "real" first-aid kit. I play with model planes, some of which swing 18 inch propellers on 3 Hp gas engines. There is always a real danger of a severe bleeding situation. Septic powder (veterenary grade - but who's counting), gauze pads in many sizes, tape and towels.

Always fresh water carried to wash out eyes (powder, twigs, fuel).

I've also had any number of Boy Scout through industrial First Aid training and refresher courses. Knowing what to do is more important than having the proper equipment and dressings. I was in the "finger squad" at an iron/brass foundry with lots of snippers and presses, and it was my job to get the cooler to the car and be at the door to take the injured party to the nearby hospital. In two years we saved three fingers and lost zero. :front:

Those days are gone forever. Now adays I'd be afraid of the civil liabilities more so than the pathogenic risks; which are not inconsiderable.

Being a bowhunter it scares me plenty to see how suddenly a life can be extinguished from blood loss. Lets be careful out there.

I too, carry a small first aid kit in the vehicles, so I have the bare minimums of supplies. I also keep an 80x60 brand new emergency blanket and a good flashlight on hand as well.

I am very allergic to bee stings and venemous insect bites--especially spider bites, and some of those can give me respiratory distress. I have an Epi-pen on hand but avoid using it if at all possible--by avoiding the insects!

I usually put on some insect repellant or some of that Avon "oily smellum" that kind of smells like citronella oil--what's that stuff called? I don't mind the smell, but I know many people who'd rather put up with bugs.

The way lawsuit frivolity is these days, I would be hesitant to render assistance to someone else too. Despite what used to be the "good samiritan law" or something like that--it was supposed to excuse any legal responsibility from a person from trying to give (proper) aid to injured in automobile accidents anyway. I don't know the exact particulars or wording of that.

It's also too dangerous with all the easily transmitted diseases to expose yourself to anyone elses blood or saliva, and especially if you are more prone to serious health issues from that exposure. In some cases, the person rendering aid could be at greater risk than the one injured.

Do we have any lawyer types on here who could tell us more?

The sad thing is that I remember that as a kid, I had all kinds of bumps, bruises, cuts, scrapes, nicks, abrasions, etc... that were full of dirt and gravel and who knows what, and I never did hardly anything to clean up... AND, I'm still alive to talk about it.

Nowadays, just a scratch can lead to very serious complications for a person, both literally and legally. It's a good idea to be prepared to give minor first-aid at least for ourselves and our family members.

Does the Red Cross or any other organizations offer any courses for general first-aid? I had to go to a local college and take a regular course. That was many over 20-some years ago and wasn't cheap then. I'm sure it would be very expensive now.

I know there is camphor and other "active" ingredients in some patch lubes that could be used for achey joints and arthritis pain. BTW, I've used the generic muscle rub from Wal-mart for patch lube. It's less costly than the regular name brand lubes and it does a darn nice job as well. (No petroleum products in it either.) Since those lubes are listed as "food grade", could they be applied to a wound and possibly be a minor disinfectant?

Any one else have any multiple-use ointments or compounds?

Shoot Safely,
WV_Hillbilly

I have two favorites that feel are very important:

1. super glue (yes, someone said it before, it is worth saying again)
2. duct tape (makes one heck of a bandage)

lately I have been considering some of the "liquid bandages" since they have alcohol as either a propellant or to keep it in a liquid state until application - stings like heck - but cleans things up. Some of the waterless sanitizers are also looking favorable to have in the "kit"

BobW

Yup! Duct tape and super glue! You can fix anything with duct tape and super glue.

Did you know if the Almighty Creator had duct tape and super glue the world may have been created in less than seven days?

If you had a crabby wife with an arm load of groceries yelling to let her in the front door and ya had a dog barking like mad at the back door which one would ya let in first? What would do? It's easy, ya let the dog in because at least the dog will stop barking!

Now yer probably wondering what on earth does that have to do with duct tape and super glue?

Nothin! Absolutely nothin at all......I was just wondering if you guys were paying attention is all! ::

for most common small scrapes and cuts, I use a dab of 'Gum Spirits of Turpentine' on a cotton ball. An old remedy that works very well. I was on the way to work last month and a wasp flew in the window and stung me in the arm. I pulled over and found some broad leaf plantain growning along the roadside. I grabbed some leaves, chewed them and slapped it on the wound. Almost instantly the pain went away. For poison ivy I like best the band aid brand clear gel that used to be names Rhuligel. Greatest stuff in the world.
Anything that is serious is usually a trip to the local rural clinic/hospital.
Ohio Rusty

I'm with 3SD on what to put on big cuts before you get to the ER. Plain clean water to wash the debris out and a covering to catch the blood and off you go for stitches. The last thing a Dr wants to do is wash some oily antibiotic out of a wound before they stitch it up. One thing that works good for washing wounds is sterile eye wash that you can put in your eyes or on your contacts. Comes in it's own squirt bottle. GC

At the risk of repeating what has already been said, super glue is really usefull as is medical adhesive tape; it can be used to make butterflies, and neo-sporin or generic triple anti-biotic cream. A small container of isopropyl alcohol probably wouldn't hurt either.

For a larger first aid kit four large triangular bandages preferrably sterile and a soft splint can be stored relatively easily. The triangular bandages can be used for tourniquets in an extreme situation or as pressure dressings, slings, splint ties, and head wound dressings. They are the most useful item you can have in a first aid kit in my opinion.

A good knowledge of the basics of first aid is the most important thing you can have in an emergency. The time to read the first aid manual is not when your hunting buddy is choking on a vienna sausage or spurting blood from a slip with a skinning knife. Everyone should know how to stop bleeding (pressure and elevation), how to clear an airway, and how to treat shock at the minimum.

Bottle of water to drink or wash with, small bottle of peroxide, stings but prevents infection, a couple of gauze pads and tape, wether its medical tape , duct tape or black elec. tape doesn't matter.

I've got type II, same as you, and I've been usin' the bottle of peroxide someone conned me into buyin' to clean my rifle, afore I 'membered burnin' that stuff at the drag strip. I've had good luck with Sayman's Salve, but I think they quit makin' it. Haven't found any since leavin' Califory. :p

Back