• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Target range ideas?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetabop

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Shooting my 1860 Colt Army or my 1858 Enfield rifle is very relaxing to me. I'm fortunate to have access to our family farm and do all my shooting there. Last year, I put in a "target range". Basically it is a few stationary ground targets and a moving deer target. I want to replace the ground targets with plywood staked into the ground with cheap life size animal posters stapled to the plywood. The moving deer target is a clothes line with pulleys and a rope to disengage the moving target that moves between 2 trees about 50 yards apart. I have seen one other moving deer target in a old rifle book that uses a bike wheel to move the target instead of weight and gravity as i am doing now.
Does anyone have any other ideas to use for targets? Moving or stationary?

Shooting Soft Bullets and Roundballs I like the Steel "Gong" type target.Either hanging from a chain or onto a welded type metal rod stand that's drove into the[url] ground.Gongs[/url] make for good shootin.

Last edited by a moderator:
skeetabop said:
Shooting my 1860 Colt Army or my 1858 Enfield rifle is very relaxing to me. I'm fortunate to have access to our family farm and do all my shooting there. Last year, I put in a "target range". Basically it is a few stationary ground targets and a moving deer target. I want to replace the ground targets with plywood staked into the ground with cheap life size animal posters stapled to the plywood. The moving deer target is a clothes line with pulleys and a rope to disengage the moving target that moves between 2 trees about 50 yards apart. I have seen one other moving deer target in a old rifle book that uses a bike wheel to move the target instead of weight and gravity as i am doing now.
Does anyone have any other ideas to use for targets? Moving or stationary?

My favorite all-around is a 6" diameter steel plate suspended from an "A" frame cross bar...use it for weekend plinking out to 75yds.

My other is to tack up a section of cardboard at 25yds with rows of 1" orange aim point stickers on it, sit down against a support post like leaning against a tree, and practice shooting squirrel head shots with my .45cal Flinter.

I used to use a steel hanging target at 25yds that was 1+3/4" and it works good, but that's a pretty good size target compared to a tiny 1" sticker...the tiny stickers are really challenging when shooting from a seated hunting position and not a bench rest...I'll be mumbling under my breath by the time the range session is over !

My favorite is a deer-shaped plate. Full size and placed at about 75-100 yards. If half sized put it closer. Very fun to shoot, and you can hear your hits, even with a 22.

Purists might want a plywood deer with an 8-10" metal plate in the vital area.

roundball said:
skeetabop said:
...the tiny stickers are really challenging when shooting from a seated hunting position and not a bench rest...I'll be mumbling under my breath by the time the range session is over !

If you want a real challenge that will get you mumbling (probably some "not very nice" words) try hanging chereeoos from fishing string at about 15 to 20 yards. Those things won't stand still on a calm day. :blah:

I like shooting pistol targets at rifle ranges the 3" bullseye can be seen well with open sights and you have a smaller target to shoot at.

At my buddy's range we often shoot cans of expired food. Pumkin pie filling is my fave. "Seekers of the orange mist"

donk said:
If you want a real challenge that will get you mumbling (probably some "not very nice" words) try hanging chereeoos from fishing string at about 15 to 20 yards. Those things won't stand still on a calm day. :blah:

Now iffin ya can hit thim cheerios at 100 yards with a 10 mile hour cross wind ... now your talkin Davy Crockett n Dan'l Boone shootin! :bow:

Davy

Take a 2x4 and cut a slot in the end with a saw. Stick popsycle sticks in the slot starting at horizontal on one side ending up horizontal on the other side and verticle on the top. About ten sticks at 20 yards off hand is all you will need for that session. Will teach you about your sight picture too!

WE DO A 3 SHOT TARGET,USUALLY ON A WOODSWALK.. TAKE A CLAY BIRD ATTACH IT TO SMALL BOARD, GET A PLASTIC SPOON AND CENTER ON BIRD (STAPLED ON BOTTOM, AND PLACE A SMALL CAN OR CUP ATOP THE CLAY BIRD, SHOOT THE CUP/CAN OFF, THEN CLAY BIRD, W/O BREAKING SPOON THEN SHOOT SPOON,ONLY GET POINTS FOR INTENDED TARGET, HIT SPOON ON FIRST SHOT U R DONE... AND AGAIN A BOWLING PIN,LOOKS BIG,TRY TO HIT IT! RC

Great ideas thanks!
I'm surprised I didn't hear anything about moving targets though. It is a lot of fun and you wouldn't beleive how hard it is to hit. Although the cheerio idea sounds pretty tough too.

RC, would you kindly take the cap lock off. Some of us have tender heads in the morning and can't tolerate the yelling. :grin: Just kidding, but capitols are internet for yelling in case you weren't aware. I learned that here too. :grin:

Rebel, my apologizes! not much good at this thing,and w/ the one finger typing,can't see what i'm writin till i get thru...i'll try to remember and look up once in awhile.... you may however have to settle for lower case all the time... but i'll try! thanks for the advice! RC

Back