• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Cherokee

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valkyrie45

32 Cal.
Reaction score
A few months ago I described to TCs I had bought at an Estate Sale. One was a 36 cal. Seneca & the other was a NIB 45 Cal. I was advised not to shoot the 45 due to its new condition. I have been looking for a used 45 barrel to shoot in the 36 cal stock but to date have not found one that intrigued me.
Today I came across a really nice 45 cal. Cherokee and even though it was more than I paid for the other rifles, I decided to purchase it. I gave $350 for it and was wondering if you thought it was a good deal? I will try to post pictures. It has no wear on the blueing, clean bore and the stock is dark walnut with only two light dents, no scratches.
Thanks for replying.

In the last two years I have paid $400 each for 45 Cherokees for the grandkids. So In my book you did good. But the real question I have is why are you asking? Only you know what they are worth to you!. :idunno: :idunno:

I never heard of these small rifles until I bought the first two. I thought the smaller caliber TCs were standard TCs with different barrels. I really like it and the way it feels, but I paid almost half it's asking price for the first two and I was a little set back when I found this one. Evidently they aren't well known in this area. This is the first Cherokee I have ever seen!

Can anyone point me towards the directions as to how I post a photo?

Thank you for helping me. I thought you would see the photo but I guess the link to them will work.

I have a .36 Seneca and a .32 Cherokee.

The Seneca is a favorite. Balance is perfect, accuracy outstanding.

The Cherokee is...meh. Too light and jumpy for me.

Here are your pictures so you can see them without having to follow the link.
image_zpsb8481e87.jpg

image_zpsa0ff6302.jpg

image_zpsa07a5294.jpg

image_zpsf15fc4b7.jpg

If you like the 45's and 36's the 32's would fit right in...

Only issue I have read on these in 45's is the stock cracking due to overloading.

Just turned a factory Cherokee into a slim straight shooter..

Enjoy and send a range report when you find your happy load! :thumbsup:

congrats ... always had a soft spot for T/C (my first ML rifle)

too bad they don't come with a proper flintlock action, though ...

well... one guy's free opinion ... doubtless well worth the price.

make good smoke!

I've had several different Cherokee's & Seneca rifles, and would first like to say that, while you paid OK money for the Cherokee, to get two Seneca's for less $$ was an outrageously good deal ! :bow:

Please download the Cherokee/Seneca loading suggestions graph from T/C's website, as theyshould be loaded lighter than the Hawken/Renegade rifles.

These lightweight, New England style, hunting rifles have thinner barrels (13/16" across-the-flats) than the Hawken and/or Renegade series (15/16" or 1"), along with their commensurately thinner/lighter stocks.

I been fortunate enough to drop several deer with both my .45 Seneca, and the .45 Cherokee I gave to a friend (after I tired of his crying over & coon-fingering it :rotf: ), using T/C Maxi-Hunter (not Maxi-Balls, which tend to pencil through deer) loaded over Holy Black. (Pyro gave me occasional cap-fired-only misfires).

I would heartily recommend you either make a ramrod better/stronger than issue, or buy a T/C fiberglas-impregnated wooden RR (hard to find, nowadays).

Back in the 80s I built a Cherokee from a kit for my daughter. My granddaughter shoots it now. Last April she took second in women's division for the Texas State Silhouette Championship with it. The load we workwed up is 45 gr of 3FFFg Goex using a.018 Tefflon coated ticking patch with a .445 round ball. It shoots a hole touching group at 50 yards. I wouldn't hesitate at all to use it on deer

Have a couple 45's in Senecas.Keep loads around 50grs. to prevent stock cracks.That load has killed many deer for me. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back