• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken vent liner threads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spugnoid

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to replace my liner but am unsure of the thread size. I don't have a selection of small nuts/bolts at home to compare to.

So if anyone knows, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rod.

1/4 x 28. Hmmmm...I'd like to install a White Lightnin', but it looks like I have to drill out the old threads and tap the hole. Makes me a bit nervous. I mean I drill and tap stuff all the time at work, just not my barrel.

Ok, thanks for the info.

Rod.

I read on here that they have a tap that they use with the white lighting liner as it has different threads, you might have one? Dilly

spugnoid said:
I want to replace my liner but am unsure of the thread size. I don't have a selection of small nuts/bolts at home to compare to.
So if anyone knows, it would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rod.
1/4" x 28...and before you go to a lot of trouble searching, be aware that TC came out with a vastly improved vent liner a few years ago...no need to get a white lightning, etc...two in a blisterpac for 3-4 bucks.
Huge cone effect inside and out with a .070" hole (an eyelash under 5/64")...very, very fast...outstanding liners

Per Chambers web site:
"White Lightnin'"
Touch Hole Liners
Available in two sizes:
3/8" x 32 for 1 1/16" or larger barrels #THL-01
5/16" x 32 for 7/8" & 1" barrels #THL-02
1/4" x 32 for 7/8" and smaller barrels #THL-03

Hope this helps

Go with Roundball's suggestion first its cheap and easy and will probably solve your problem. Them if you don't like the results you can always go to the whitelighting and drill your barrel and void you warrenty with TC.
Fox :hatsoff:

Try the new style T/C vent liner.

Also you will not be able to safely install a 1/4" White Lightning vent liner in that rifle if you already have a 1/4 x 28 threaded vent in there. To recut the threads to 32 tpi would leave too much metal removed & not enough threads to safely hold the vent liner. You would have to go to a 5/16 white lightning & whether you want to do that is something you hve to consider.

I think the improved T/C liner will do the trick IF the vent liner is the problem with ignition.

:thumbsup:

The stainless liners that Track sells are very similar to the White Lightin'. I drill them to
1/16" and they work very well. They are THL-S4S on tracks web page and cost $1.99.

The obvious reason to try the new TC liner is if you retap the hole for the larger Chambers liner you will void the TC warranty.

Having that warranty is worth a lot if your gun develops problems.

Well, the gun is from the late 70's so I don't think I've got any warranty left :grin: . I was not aware that TC made an improved liner. Will have to try to track one down or use the suggested similar one from Track.

Thanks guys,

Rod.

I've got to jump on the "Improved T/C" bandwagon.

I put one in my Renegade and have yet to have a flash in the pan that I could not attribute to "operator error" in over 100 rounds fired.

T/C's warranty is for life as long as you are the original owner and as long as you don't modify the gun outside of T/C's specifications.

Confidentially, they often interpret that "original owner" rule pretty loosely. :wink:

OK, I've been looking high and low for a place to buy the new T/C liners from and hit a dead end. I did find a few places in the US but they won't ship to Canada.

Can anyone help me out here? I'm looking for the hex/allen key style. I assume that's the new one from T/C and was the main reason I was after the White Lightnin'.

I prefer to order online but I'm okay with phoning an order in as well.

Thanks,

Rod.

I just placed an order with Track 2 days ago and didn't see the T/C liners on their site. They do have some slotted ones that will fit but that's what I have already.

I will look around a bit more but if I come up dry I will whip you off an email. Thanks for the offer, very appreciated.

Rod.

You also might try Cains Outdoors, October Country, or RMC Sports. I think they all carry them & you could just email them & ask if they ship to Canada. :thumbsup:

I got mine from Log Cabin Supply in Lodi. Ohio. They have a web site and largest BP shop in Ohio. Check them to see if will ship. Dilly

Looks like Cain's Outdoors may ship them. Thanks for the tip.

Also, I am wondering if the new-style T/C lock will fit right onto my stock or if there is some fitting to do?

Or should I just see about getting a new cock and frizzen as I am not quite satisfied with the performance of the old-style lock. But its also my first flinter so I may not know what I'm talking about yet.

One more question for the pros: I have heard that some of the older Hawkens can crack at the wrist and that there is a through-bolt fix for it. The two wood screws holding my tang on also give me some concern as I have removed them once to brown the barrel. This is a second-hand rifle that was built from a kit that appears to be late 70's judging from the serial and don't know how many times these screws have been in and out over the years.

Thanks again,

Rod.

Back