• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Patriot, custom bore out thoughts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newly O’Brian

12ga, 32, 36, 44, 45, 54 and 58 cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I was toying with the idea of taking a 45 caliber TC Patriot barrel and making a "half-howdah" pistol out of it by boring it out to 20 gauge (.615") or 18 gauge (.637")

Thoughts, input?

Last edited:
True dat, I work in waterjet cutting and machine shop. So, I have machines, talent, reamers and measuring equipment.

Just wondering, if anyone has done something like this?

Since you asked:

A couple-three thoughts:
Patriot barrel is 13/16” or .8125”. Given the rear sight screw holes and front sight dovetail, an approximately .62 bore out may not be realistic. Also, there will not be enough internal metal left to properly seat the breech plug.
The Patriot stock is known to crack under loads heavier than .45 factory suggested loads. A .62 payload may exceed the load capacity of the stock.
Patriot barrels are desirable “as is” to shooters and collectors.

Just my thoughts on this subject.
DanL

Last edited:
Another thought; the Patriot is a target pistol and is set up to always use the set trigger. You can't fire it with just the firing trigger, you have to pull both in sequence. Of course you can do this but a Howdah is a hunting/defense gun. It would be kinda silly to have a quick to action pistol with a two action trigger.

Maybe the set trigger can be modified to fire on just the rear but I'm not that smart.

I hope that your bore is already in bad shape.

Other here have recommended Bob Hoyt for barrel reboring. I have no experience with him.

Back