• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Renegade Flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalton

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just purchased a TC Renegade caplock and ordered a couple of Green Mountain barrels for it. Does anyone know if TC ever made this rifle in a flintlock? I know I could buy the Hawken, but I'm not real fond of all the polished brass on it. I also like the single trigger and larger trigger guard on the the Renegade.

Thanks.

Welcome.

Yes they did. The variation you have used to be called the Renegade Hunter, but now it is the last surviving Renegade. Mine has a dual set trigger and much smaller guard. Good, servicable & accurate rifles. You might keep an eye out for one they used to produce called a Pennsylvania Hunter. It is a flinter with an octagon-to-round barrel with a round ball twist and fixed sights.

Go to[url] tcarms.com[/url] and click on "custom shop". They have the renegade there in percussion and flint in 50-54-58 calibers. I have a flinter and cap in 58 from their custom shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys. I think I will give Fox Ridge a call and order up a Renegade Flinter.

I've had one in .54 cal since 1982. Good solid gun. Even won a blue ribbon once with it. I think you will be pleased.

rayb

My first flintlock was the .54 T/C Renegade, it is a working man's gun, rough and able to put down antyhing that North America has to offer...

It was a great starting flint gun for me...

And the good news is, buying a new one means it'll have the current production flint lock assembly on it and it's vastly improved over the earlier designs...I have several TC Hawken flinters and the locks are perfect.

I also found that the 3/4" Black English flints were much better than the TC factory sawed agate flints, averaging 40-60 shots per flint...also much cheaper and are "the real deal" too.
(October Country has good bulk purchase prices on black english flints...50 or 100 count bags)

Roundball,what is different about the new locks on the t.c. flinters as opposed to the "old?"

squint

From what I've experienced / learned, there's been a progression of odd & ends improvements over the years in their locks in general because with the exception of a couple unique parts, a lot of the parts are identical in both the percussion and flint lock assemblies...but the most significant changes to the flint locks themselves seem to be with the frizzen and hammer.

The frizzens are harder for better sparking and longer life (old style is case colored, newer style is solid black);

The improved hammers are taller and have a different "S" shape, striking the frizzen at least 3/4 of the way up, and with a better 'angle-of-attack' on the frizzen.

The older style locks had a reputation for eating flints because they struck the frizzen face too straight on (too square) and way too low so they didn't have much leverage to tip the frizzen back easily and met a lot of resistance which also contributed to flint breakage.

As I mentioned, using 3/4" black english flints, the newer design locks give plenty of sparks and 40-60 shots per flint.

I've been shooting them going on 3 years now and I don't know what else a lock could do...they're 100% reliable and I'm not generalizing when I say that...I don't mean they're approximately 100% reliable, I mean they're 100% reliable. You don't have to tinker with them, or 'work on them', or modify them, or hope and pray over them...unless you have wet powder or a dull flint, when you drop the hammer the lock will fire the rifle right now.

As an aside, TC also introduced a significantly improved, redesigned vent liner which is extremely fast...ignition is just a single instantaneous event...I've shot them at the range almost every Saturday year round and it's like shooting a .30-30.

Hey Everyone;

Since we are on the TC Renegade Flintlock. :) What is your prefered load for this gun? :hmm: As in Grains of powder,Round ball or Conical, I have one of these again and am interested in what will be best load for it. :: Right now I am using 90 gr 2f with a 438 gr(I think) Buffalo bullet but am looking at casting 388 gr(I think) Lee Real bullets with the same powder charge.

Its a tough little woods gun. I bought it at a Gun show it's an older model. The Frizzen would'nt spark good so I sent the Lock to TC and they put a new frizzen on, No Charge. :RO:

Thanks for all the help.

Smiley :redthumb:

In my TC Hawkens I use Goex, Hornady, and TC products.

.018" prelubed pillow ticking for all PRB's, plus for the hunting loads I also use OxYoke wonderwads over the bgpowder.

TARGETS
.45cal=40grns FFFg + .440 ball
.50cal=50grns FFFg + .490 ball
.54cal=60grns FFFg + .530 ball

HUNTING
.45cal=90grns FFFg + .440 ball
.45cal=90grns 2F + 255grn maxi-hunter

.50cal=90grns FFFg + .490 ball
.54cal=90grns FFFg + .530 ball

.58cal = 100grns 2F + .570 ball

Back