• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Renegade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckywindage

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Custom barreled 1:60 twist .54cal TC Renegade.

Got out to the 60 yard range first to do make sure everything was hitting center. First shot on a clean bore is pretty darn low. Shoot shot #2 which hit higher up but to the right. Made some adjustments upward and only a couple clicks to the left. Next 3 shots were perfect!

90gr Goex 2f, .018 pillow tick with some extra lube on them, homecast .530 round balls.
DSCN3406.jpg

The front sight is really giving me some trouble, especially at the closer ranges of 50 and 60 yards. The front bead blends into the black rear sight and just making it hell on me. I plan on buying another Hi Viz fiber optic sight for this Renegade and then all should be okay.

Before heading to the 100 yard range, i took the rifle inside and ran a couple wet patches down the bore to swab out some fouling " Not not fully clean it out" before i packed up again and headed out.

The first shot hit really low, I was like, man! This first shot stuff is going to be hell to get used to. Second shot was an inch low of the bulls eye and off to the left a good bit. I thought this was odd, but again, that darn front sight i think is causing me some accuracy issues. I reloaded and took shot #3 and just smiled.

100yards,
DSCN3407.jpg

With a new Optic sight up front i believe she will turn out to be a good shootin rifle!
DSCN3409-1.jpg

Looking good. I replaced the front sight on my t/c hawken with a brass blade, it made a world of difference in my shooting. how is the kick on that thing with 90grains of powder.

some outfits on E bay are letting those TC stock fiber opitc sights fairly cheap. I bought one individual site for a peep and a complete 3 dot set for my other renegade. I just cant see the stock tc sights I do like the partridge types. like on old renegades. I also like the brass bead on green mountains.

lorren68 said:
Looking good. I replaced the front sight on my t/c hawken with a brass blade, it made a world of difference in my shooting. how is the kick on that thing with 90grains of powder.

Haven't shot it off hand yet :rotf:

I made the mistake of shooting my hawken offhand with 80gr of 3f goex with a 395gr buffalo bullet...........talk about a slap in the face! :rotf:

lorren68 said:
I made the mistake of shooting my hawken offhand with 80gr of 3f goex with a 395gr buffalo bullet...........talk about a slap in the face! :rotf:

Done that myself! I also had a friend fire it same load, without it on shoulder once. I was explaining the set trigger, and at the time had the thing set REAL LIGHT. About when I warned him not to put his finger anywhere near the trigger till he wanted it to go boom.. it went boom, kicked him in the shoulder. He handed it back and i adjusted the set so's it wasn't quite such a hair trigger..

I never have cared for the "newer" style sights on T/Cs. My Renegade has the old style rear and blade front sight on it and they work really well for me.

So about 29" overall? Where did you get it? I kind of would like to do the same thing instead of a stock 33" GMB. That 4" is about .8 of a lb less weight to carry around.

I actually bought it off another forum. The original owner didn't do a very good job inletting the wedge key underlug, it was easily fixed with some peening.

You can get a barrel blank from www.trackofthewolf.com and have them install the breech plug, but you most likely will have to cut it to your preferred length and recrown it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back