• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Trigger guard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keppy

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What's the reason for the piece hanging to the rear of the triggers on the guard? :hmm: Is it resting place for your finger before you want to fire? I was looking through TOW and other site at trigger guards on rifles. I noticed that some English rifles have this added piece. But most are sporting a guard without this. It seems to be another thing to catch on things IMO. But there must be a reason for it. Anyone know?

It's there to smash your knuckles when you are shooting stout charge and using a bad hold.

My T/C Hawken was a kit I put together in the late 1970's. While assembling it, I decided that I didn't like the curly part of the trigger guard that flips forward and I sawed it off and filed it smooth. I haven't missed it.

I use that finger rest while shooting. I rest my middle finger on it, while my fore finger squeezes the trigger. It seems like I get a smoother squeez with it. Other then that, it's just in the way.

I like mine. I could live without it too, but I find myself using it when I shift the rifle around in my arms in the course of a day. That is one thing about the Hawken style guns, they feel heavy to me toward the muzzle end and feel less well balanced compared to a longrifle.

on my traditions hawken, i find the spur a great rest for my middle finger when i have the gun on set, ready to fire. i have seen some dueling pistols that have a spur i believe for the same reasons.

cowpoke1955 said:
I use that finger rest while shooting. I rest my middle finger on it, while my fore finger squeezes the trigger. It seems like I get a smoother squeez with it. Other then that, it's just in the way.

Thanks to all and would tend to agree with in the way. I've been looking at a TC 45 and it seems to fit pretty nice. Most TC's Hawken's style seem to have a high cheekpeice but this one maybe and older one. But the trigger guard has not been a selling point of mine.

I have a heavy wide piece of leather I use sometimes with a long taper to the end thru mine, the pc of leather is sliced in the middle and returned through where it stay's on and I use it to tie on to my home made saddle scabbard to keep it tight from coming out when riding horses.
Other than the way I use it I have no idea why its on there.

Its funny, I've used T/C Hawkens a lot for about 18 years and I can't envision my grip on the trigger guard.
Its overall design of course is to add somewhat of a "pistol grip" shape to the wrist area, but for the life of me I don't know if / how I use that little thing-a-ma-bob...now I'll have to pick one up tonight just to satisfy my own curiosity

roundball said:
Its funny, I've used T/C Hawkens a lot for about 18 years and I can't envision my grip on the trigger guard.
Its overall design of course is to add somewhat of a "pistol grip" shape to the wrist area, but for the life of me I don't know if / how I use that little thing-a-ma-bob...now I'll have to pick one up tonight just to satisfy my own curiosity

Let us know. Your the TC man :grin:

when target shooting, I wrap my middle finger around it, and slide my left palm all the way back 'till it's touching my fingertip...very staedy hold, almost like a schutzen rifle. it doesn't seem to be in my way when hunting.

OK, I just handled one of my Hawkens...if what is being discussed is that piece of curved brass that hangs down under the middle of the trigger guard looking for the world like a "curved brass trigger", I don't use it at all when shooting...with large hands, all of my fingers are behind that piece, and the forefinger is extended up past to the front trigger.

I do use it when I'm finished cleaning in the garage and carry the ML into the house...while grasping the ML by the wrist and letting it hang straight down have my forefinger hooked on that piece

roundball
That's what my question was about on this thread. What you just called it"curved brass trigger" :thumbsup: I don't know what its actually called. I just was wondering its purpose. I know carrying a rifle in front of the trigger guard during hunting through brushy area's as I sometimes do. I think it would be a brush catcher IMO. But so are other things like clothing etc. :)

I've never found it to be any problem at the range or when out hunting...in fact, with all (or some) of a shooters fingers behind it when taking a shot, it probably serves as an additional form of control of the muzzleloader...like an additional 'stop' against which the rifle pushes when its fired. Personally, I doubt it has any actual designed function and was probably just a cosmetic design element on the guard, dunno

Last edited by a moderator:
I have small hands and I have a hard time shooting any rifle without that hook on the bottom of the triggerguard. I started shooting my buddies CVA Mountain Rifle and that is what I remarked to him as to the purpose of the hook. To put your middle finger on when reaching for the front trigger. When I get around to restocking my TC Hawken it will probably end up with a Vencent Ohio Triggerguard like the Hawken Rifle #7 example on The Hawken Shop Website.

Robert

I assume this is what we're talking about...

Untitled.jpg

I don't see it's purpose. I've never had a problem with it.

HD

It is to hook your middle finger on.
By doing this, it rotates your hand so your thumb isn't positioned to whack you in the nose when the gun fires.
:rotf:

Latest posts

Back