• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ted Cash Curved pistol capper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckbling

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a Ted Cash Brass capper for #11 percussion caps. I thought this would work better than it has. Seems the caps are dispensed upside down often. Sometimes sideways. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a Tune up trick I am missing or did I goof not getting a spring loaded in line capper? This is the large capacity(100) curved ess shaped capper. No matter how many times I right side the caps they have room to flip over. They have room to loose the detonator paper too! Had a couple that misfired for this.

I've been using my Ted Cash capper for years and never had a problem with it. Maybe you can stick a layer of thin tape to the inside of the lid to take up space and keep the caps from flipping. I've never heard of anyone having trouble with a Cash capper.

HD

I was thinking of a paper linner. Then thought maybe it would hold moisture. I'll have to experiment. I'm using Remmington #11's. I'm a little disapointed its not reliably feeding correctly for the 26 bucks it cost me. I guess its gonna be finniky. Often times the cap is side ways in the feed port. I shake it back in and try again hoping for the best. Takes sometimes 4 or 5 tries to get one positioned right. Thats why I asked if there is a Tuning trick I don't know about. Figure a lot of these must be in use. On the up side....It looks Mavelous!

There is a way to flip your wrist downward to help the cap come down into the loading position. I have never had any trouble with caps turning in my Tedd Cash capper and I have had it for about as long as he has been in businss. Are you setting the caps upright when you put them in the capper, by shaking the capper back and forth to make them all turn up? I do a visual inspect of the caps then, looking for any that are missing priming compound. I have been using CCI caps for years, after I bought 1 thousand of them years ago. I have used Remington caps, but could not get them the day I ended up buying the CCI. No problems with the CCI caps.

Well I bought a straight #11 ted cash capper and i must say its the worst capper ive ever owned. The caps do not stay right side up no matter what. It wasnt his most expensive one ( i think it was about 10 bucks) but I have 4 dollar ones that work. This doesent It is useless. As far as trying to modify it to get it to work Ive tried. The demensions in the channel are just too large for a no 11.

Call the company. Tedd Cash has always stood behind his products. IF there is something wrong, he will stand good for it. If there is something being done wrong by the people who make the things for him, he needs to know ASAP.

RedNeckBling said:
I bought a Ted Cash Brass capper for #11 percussion caps. I thought this would work better than it has. Seems the caps are dispensed upside down often. Sometimes sideways. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a Tune up trick I am missing or did I goof not getting a spring loaded in line capper? This is the large capacity(100) curved ess shaped capper. No matter how many times I right side the caps they have room to flip over. They have room to loose the detonator paper too! Had a couple that misfired for this.
I have a couple of those and ran hundreds of CCI#11 caps through them without any problems...I assume the Remingtons are the same height as the CCIs...dunno.

If they are, then it sounds like that pivot opening top plate is not seating back down all the way to hold the caps upright...if you mailed it back to Cash explaining the problem, I'd be surprised if they didn't fix or replace it.

I'm using CCIs with no probs. I did discover that it was possible to close the latch while the cover wasn't quite seated all the way down. I got the same problems you report. Taking care to seat the cover completely resolves all problems.

Maybe the Remington caps are a bit shorter, I've never used them so don't know. However, I do have two of the Ted Cash cappers like yours & while I haven't experienced the same problem you have I have noticed that the lid doesn't always close all the way but will still latch. You have to make sure that the pin in the 'gate' is located in the hole in the lid before closing it.....this could be the cause of your problem, if not I'd suggest sending it back to Ted.

This is what I love about this forum!
I thought something must be wrong with either the capper or the caps. I can't imagine anone paying 26 bucks to be aggravated. I checked the pin in the lid and it is through the cover seated right. I am using Remington caps that say 40% hotter and they are #11. I bought it in a new sealed bubble pack so I am thinking I will send it back to Ted Cash Co for a replacement. I reset the caps facing up manualy several times. If I give it a shake or two there is enough room for them to flip over or lay side ways. Then they feed wrong. I must have lost 7 or 8 on the ground. I felt this was wasteful and could not understand why anyone would put up with this.

I use #11 remingtons and have never had a problem with it either. maybe the top may ahve a slight bow in it that is allowing the caps to tip lay on its side.

You might have a lemon there... The curved "comma" shaped cappers are supposed to be for C&B revolvers (i.e smaller, #10 caps), so I suspect they would hold the #11 caps even more securely.

The football-shaped rifle capper I have seems to work just fine w/ #11 caps. Just remember to hold the capper with the little hole facing skyward while you depress and then release the trigger. Loading that capping hole with it facing the ground seems to result in a lot of dropped caps. After the cap falls into the hole, you can release the trigger (which then holds the cap in place), turn the capper over, and pop it onto the nipple.

I found that keeping the capper filled 90 percent and playing with the spring steel jaws at the front it's working a little better now. Gonna keep it and continue to tweek the jaws as needed.

I have one of those Ted cash cappers and I have the same problems with caps flipping up side down ect... I did not have a problem with CCI caps but the Remington caps (Wal-Mart) were shorter and thus allowed the caps to flip in the dispenser. I am currently out of CCI Caps and am trying to find bargains on them.

RedNeckBling said:
I found that keeping the capper filled 90 percent and playing with the spring steel jaws at the front it's working a little better now. Gonna keep it and continue to tweek the jaws as needed.

I was just about to suggest the very thing that you tried on your own...remove about 10 caps to let the spring have a little more clearance!

I had problems with mine too right from the start. Then I played-around with it and made sure that the lid was seated all of the way down before I locked the lid. Now it's the best capper that I own!

What part of Jersey are you from? Maybe we could get together for a shoot! I'm a member of two Clubs that shoot BP! Send me a PT and we'll continue this off the thread.

Dave

The only problem I have had with my Capper is when the wire tabls on the inside of the capper that hold a ring on the outside, at the flat base, twist around enough that one end prevents the lid from closing properly. I have just remembered to twist that ring back so that the wires don't interfere with closing, instead of going to the trouble of clipping off the ends of the two wires. The ring is there to put a thong on to attach the capper to the bag, so you don't lose it. My capper goes into a shirt or back pocket of my blue jeans, so I don't use the ring at all. I probably should go into the capper the next time its open and clip those wires shorter, if I remember where my wire cutters are the next time I open that capper! :redface: :shocked2: :rotf:

Not singling you out Paul, but your point about carry is the perfect opening for a precaution to others.

We live and hunt in a really wet climate up here, often having to hunt in raingear. Most of us have lanyards on our cappers for the reasons you cite.

To protect his caps from the wet, my hunting pard slipped his down inside his shirt rather than into a pocket.

The byproduct of huntig hard in raingear is sweat. After three days of that he finally got a shot, and experienced three cap failures on the same buck. Worse yet, a little later in the morning he had two more cap failures on another buck. And worst of all, he had a final cap failure on the third and biggest buck. Last day of the season too, so he now has a blank spot in his freezer.

Not that it had anything to do with anything, but they were Remington caps. He let them dry a week or so, and they seem fine now. But several days of sweat cost him bigtime.

Moral of the story- That lanyard on a capper is really handy, but when you hang it around your neck, go ahead and put the capper in a shirt pocket rather than dangling it inside your shirt.

I know you live an hunt along the coasts of Alaska, where relative humidity is always high. Here in the Corn Belt, Humidity can be stifling in the summer. I modify how I cary equipment with changes in the weather. I have previously mentioned how I read my cleaning patches to determine if I need to use more patches to dry my barrel between shots. An outer shirt pocket, which will not be so absorbing of body heat and sweat is called for whenever humidity and rain are the problem.

Frankly, I think the real blessing of Gore-tex is that it not only can keep the feet dry, but your powder dry under a jacket!

Back