• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The art of squirrel war

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a squirrel cutting call.

A guy on ebay sells them. It's a plastic threaded bolt you push a bit of vynil siding across it. Can't wait for the weekend.

Never tried calling them, I have been pretty well able to mimic their clicking with my mouth. We have an abundance of oak, walnut and hickory trees, so finding them is not the problem. Learned to carry a pocket full of large pebbles. When the squirrel runs up a tree and stays on the other side. Lob a pebble so it bounces on thee far side of the tree. Squirrel will scoot around to the side away from the noise, on the side where my rifle is waiting. Had a beagle hound cross years ago. She was pretty much worthless for most small game, but she chased squirrels for hours and would stand at the base of the tree barking and howling like a coon hound. She was a joy to hunt squirrels with. She would walk slowly around the tree barking and the squirrels would try to scoot around to stay out of her sight. When they came round to my side, BOOM. Unless there was a den in the tree, we usually got those squirrels.

Pebbles can do double duty; they can also be struck or rubbed together to produce nut cutting sounds. Use the ones that don't make the right sound for you as your throwing stones. Price is also my favorite.

I have a squirrel call made by Hayden that is the typical squawker with a rubber bulb, but it also has a small shrill whistle distress call built into it. By blocking the exit horn of the squawker the high pitched distress call is activated. I have found that if the woods seem devoid of squirrels, and I let loose with the distress call, squirrels will come out to bark, give their locations away,and actually come to the call to see what the ruckus is all about. It seems to work best though when there are leaves still on the trees, possibly because without the leaves the squirrels can see further to check out the disturbance.

Where I hunt they eat pine nuts, just a bit bigger than a gr of rice (unshelled). So no calling. My preferred way to cull the population is a blind at a water hole where I know there are some squirrels. I read my book and they come for water. Have had a few 10' shots. Many head shots. If not into chillin in the blind me n the dog hike and he trees em and about 25% I can see and shoot. Used to be 70% but I'm gettin..........NO I am not! I'm still 17 on the inside!. Its HIM, the dogs gettin old, cant get up the short trees like he used to!

Fyrstyk said:
I have a squirrel call ...also has a small shrill whistle distress call built into it. I have found that if the woods seem devoid of squirrels, and I let loose with the distress call, squirrels will come out to bark, give their locations away,and actually come to the call to see what the ruckus is all about.

I have that same feature on my call, but have never been able to get anything to respond to it. Always thought it would be a better coyote call! But then, I do virtually all my squirrel hunting in the winter... :hmm:

Back