• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Cody Firearms Museum Hawken Collection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RickD said:
I have a S. Hawken coming from Steve Zihn that he copied from one in the Cody Museum..I should have it in the next couple of weeks..
Rick,would love to see some pics when you get it.I have followed his work and it is awesome...Ray

Mule,
Thanks for the Cody heads up, pretty interesting. I like them also and had one built by Ken Netting some years back. It is a full stock with a 1"X36" .50 caliber Bill Large barrel. The hardware, including the lock were all made by Eddy Meyers. The stock is walnut and the whole thing is lightly antiqued. If I knew how to post I would do it.
Mark

Mule,
Will do. Give me a couple of days, just had cataract surgery today and everything's still a bit fuzzy.
Mark

noworries said:
Very cool...thanks for the link!!! I've been to the museum several times and the website a couple of times but never saw that search link. After downloading the pics and looking at them on a decent pic viewer I am struck by the stark differences in these rifles. Realizing these rifles span a couple of decades of manufacture it is amazing the non consistent "must have" features of a "historically accurate" Hawken. With the exception of a few basic features...each one is significantly different than the other. I think I was most surprised by the muzzles. None appear to be crowned or chamfered at all. Now I am back to wondering how they started those balls without a starter????? Guess I will just leave the muzzle of mine flat as that does seem to be one common trait.

They are likely slightly "funneled".
Not that not all the rifles pictured are "mountain rifles" a couple are what I would call "chunk rifles".
The Hawken's were trained as gunsmiths making "Kentuckys" and some of their rifles reflect this.

Dan

I really like your rifle! MB

I am posting these pics for Papa!

I thought I would add your text as well!

Mule,
Here are pictures of my late full stock Hawken rifle. The stock is black walnut with all steel hardware, lightly aged. The lock and all hardware were made by Eddy Meyers and the rifle was built by Ken Netting. The barrel is a late Bill Large 1" X 36" in .50 caliber. Although it has the 4 J's it also has the capital L which indicates that Bill cut the barrel.The butt plate was made, as the Hawkens did, by brazing the two parts together.

untitled-1.jpg

untitled10.jpg

untitled2.jpg

untitled3.jpg

untitled5.jpg

untitled6.jpg

untitled7.jpg

untitled8.jpg

untitled9.jpg

All I can say is WOW!!! I don't know how much you paid for it, and it's none of my business anyway--but what ever you paid it was worth it! And a lot more too! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am presently shooting a .58 Bill Large barrel on a Hawken style rifle. The barrel stamp is W.M.LARGE in a semicircle, no other stamps. It is a 1 1/8 x 36" with a 1 in 48" twist. Lock is stamped ORE TERR with IKE BAY beneath it, stamp only 5/16" long, presume he was the maker because the lock is stamped inside ROLLER 66. Rifle weighs 12 1/2 pounds, will shoot bullets into the same hole at 50 yards with heavy charges of Goex 2F and Swiss 1 1/2 powder. I will post photos of it with the charges, groups and velocities in a week or so.

Latest posts

Back