• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The N.C. Vogler-style rifle is finished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahjo

40 Cal.
Reaction score
...except for the engraving! All iron-mounted except for three G-S inlays. This was my first muzzle-loader and as soon as I teach myself how to engrave, I'll do it :thumbsup:

2jpg.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

That is a very nice piece and :hatsoff: to you.

Tell me more about the rifle!
Kit or not?
If so, who's?
How long?

BTW, Love it in the white!!!

Ronnie, from the hills of Tennessee.

IDAHJO--beeeautiful-I have to do one of those -don't know if I have the patience-- :thumbsup:

A beautiful piece! Wish I had your abilities! :hatsoff:.

Typically a Salem School piece.It really looks good,and you captured the style very well. I forget,but there were four or five of the Vogler builders....maybe a father and sons and first cousins if I remember correctly. Did you choose any Vogler in particular,or just the Vogler style? Either way,you should take pride in this piece!

There is something about these Piedmont North Carolina rifles that make them dear to your heart. I have one,a Rowan School in .45cal made for me by David Dodds. IMO the Moravians in this area around present day Salem,N.C. produced rifles equal to the classics of Pennsylvania that we all love so much!

That is a beautiful rifle!! :hatsoff:
Give us a few more details please. :grin:

Thanks, guys you are all very kind!

I scrounged an original copy out of VIRGINIA Library System of "Longrifles of North Carolina" and studied it. Voglers were featured prominately in the book. I looked harder at John Vogler than any, but found things about the others that I liked. For instance, I personally do not like a metal inlay in the cheekpiece, but all had it... I left it off intentionally.
BTW: TOW has the NEW reprint of the book with several new rifles added to it. I rushed out and bought a copy...GREAT BOOK!

This rifle is Sugar Maple, and (unfortunately) was slab cut so the heavier figure is top and bottom. The Vogler patchboxes have numerous piercings in the patchbox sideplates and are sorta-like holly leaves. Voglers also have long toeplates with numerous piercings. I decided to modify them and only used the pierced eagle finial and a single heart in the toeplate. Made parchbox from a MBS blank.

Chambers Classic Ketland Lock, Rice .50 "B" wt swamped barrel. Ramrod tubes all lathe-turned, and forend cap made from sheet. If you study the one picture, you will see it has the classic N.C. incised groove running along sides of the comb from the buttplate, and terminating in a 'teardrop' at the top of the wrist.

That's about it I guess. :hmm:
My next is probably going to be another N.C. rifle and I have a Rice .54 cal "C" wt barrel already... Freddie Harrison is finding the wood for me as I type this. My wife is a Charlottte, N.C. girl and she is ELATED about me building N.C. rifles (How about that :applause: )

I probably should add, "this is my first LONGRIFLE, it is probably the umpteenth rifle I have built!" It is definately more FUN than a benchrest rifle :winking:

Will you,by any chance,be at the CLA in Lexington next week? I would like to meet you and maybe take a close look at this piece!

Wonderfull work :hatsoff:
I like the polished steel furniture and inlays, contrasts very nicely with the dark finish.
My first rifle was a horror show.

der Forster said:
Will you,by any chance,be at the CLA in Lexington next week? I would like to meet you and maybe take a close look at this piece!

Unfortunately, No! I 'lurk' in the mountains of Idaho. With the price of gas and the 'ragheads' hell-bent on blowing up airliners, I am contented to 'lurk' and read the forum :shake:

R.E.M. said:
That is a very nice piece and :hatsoff: to you.

Tell me more about the rifle!
Kit or not?
If so, who's?
How long?

BTW, Love it in the white!!!

Ronnie, from the hills of Tennessee.

REM; overlooked your questions...
No kit, but was a precarved stock. A lot of the stuff was either made from scratch, or modified. I forgot to say that the sideplate was purchased, but was stamped and so flimsy and deformed I modified the shape to fit the lock screws and archetecture and sawed it outta 1/8" steel. Likewise with the front sight base... made one from scratch. The condition of so much of what I have seen is POOR at best! :shake:

I will NEVER willingly use another 'precarve' stock. There was so much wood to remove EVERYWHERE, what was the point? To support this, the swamped barrel flats were not lined properly with the lock flats and they had to be readjusted. Then, this 'monkeying' rolled the ramrod channel off-center. The resulting width of the remaining lock flats was BARELY adequate and had to be protected zealously from damage while building. Wood was Sugar Maple, but not hard as I would have liked it to be.
The stock was Petaconica, but I cannot 'fault' them as it could have well have been an error of some kind on the layout. It is the only experience I have had with them, and I understand this is not unusual with many/most? precarveds'

Back