• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Perfect Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nightwolf1974 said:
the "perfect gun" for would be a custom built, T/C Renegade style, .75 caliber, with a 36" octagon barrel containing a 1:48 twist. :thumbsup:
Now that sound awesome!!! I've always thought bigger calibers should be made by t/c. That'd sure make a good hole in a deer.

Hmmmmmmmm.. Hard, I guess maybe the .45 Seneca. But I sure like the feel of the Crocket,,I guess I'm not sure. Guess I'll have to keep shooting so I can decide! More work I guess. Woe is me, such a burden.

This is my rifle, this is my gun. One is for shooting, the other for fun!

When a grouse takes off you don't want a rifle . . . but when the deer is rubbing his forehead scent on an tree at 90 yards you don't want a scattergun.

Soooo . . . you need several, not just one. There is no perfect gun. For years I tried to make a Bess conform into an upland gun because I fell for that "one can do all" nonsense and ended up with a close-range deer gun and a really, really close range on immoble birds and rabbits gun. Fun, none the less.

'Course my .54 Cherry Girl is a near perfect rifle. Pity she couldn't have a carry weight of six pounds and a shooting weight of nine, though. ;-) Now I just need a light flint shotgun/trade gun to replace 'Ol Blunderpotz, my cap-gun grouse and bunny pesterer.

Stumpkiller said:
When a grouse takes off you don't want a rifle . . . but when the deer is rubbing his forehead scent on an tree at 90 yards you don't want a scattergun.

At times like that we are very happy to be carrying our (double barrel) Cape Gun. 12ga in one barrel and .58cal in the other. Works for us, even if it is a little more weight than I like to carry these days. :grin:
Best Wishes

luie b said:
nightwolf1974 said:
the "perfect gun" for would be a custom built, T/C Renegade style, .75 caliber, with a 36" octagon barrel containing a 1:48 twist. :thumbsup:
Now that sound awesome!!! I've always thought bigger calibers should be made by t/c. That'd sure make a good hole in a deer.

yah,it's too bad they are going in the direction they are now. most people would probably shy away from it though, not me. i once tried to get the people that made those underhammer guns to make me one in .75 cal, they didn't want anything to do with it.

Well, It's to the Tulsa Gun Show tomorrow AM. about 4000 tables of possibilities. Maybe I can trade off another one of the modern guns for a Flinter. About 6 miles of isles.
Maybe I can find the perfect gun.

ozark57 said:
Well, It's to the Tulsa Gun Show tomorrow AM. about 4000 tables of possibilities. Maybe I can trade off another one of the modern guns for a Flinter. About 6 miles of isles.
Maybe I can find the perfect gun.

I doubt it, but you ought to have fun trying. :thumbsup:

The one perfect gun doesn't exist. The perfect pile of guns..., now we're talkin'. :grin:
I'm working on my perfect pile;

A .36 flinter built by Roy Stroh,
A Bess,
A .50 caplock GPR,
A 12ga New Englander,
And a .54 Great Plains Pistol
Those are my best pile right now. But, since we're gettin' one for Christmas, make mine a J.P. Beck style .54 flinter. :wink: That would make my pile a lot more perfecter.

I think that for many people one gun may do it all dependimng on what,where and how they hunt, I knoe after 30+ years I have found one that does all that need, a deer at 100 yds will be out of the range if my fusil but if I had a .54 rifle the deer at 200 yds would be out of my range and I would not care for it to take a mess of squirrels or Grouse, this question is very individual oriented.

Jethro, I am begining to think you right. The perfect ML may only exist in my imagination. My feet are sore, my back hurts,and I came back with my only purchase a $4:00 hot dog. Worlds largest gun show is a hoot, though. A 40 cal. Kentucky flinter may be getting closer. In this State .40 is largest legal for squirrel and smallest legal for deer. Might be time to build myself a rifle. Maybe the perfect gun.

sign01481.gif
This thread won't die!!!! Good thing Claude doesn't serve alcohol on this Forum, cause it would get interesting.
hammer.gif
:rotf:
Here's my spin on this subject. As we all know(or should)that "EVERY" caliber has it's own characteristics. Add to that the different styles and taste, grades of wood, the different things we use them for, the one you wish you had, but can't afford, etc, etc.......
Bottom line there "IS" a perfect rifle!!!!!! The one you're carrying. :grin: Sometimes we find Disneyland in our own back yard.. :) The quicker you figure that out the more fun you'll have. :thumbsup:

ozark57 said:
Jethro, I am begining to think you right. The perfect ML may only exist in my imagination. My feet are sore, my back hurts,and I came back with my only purchase a $4:00 hot dog. Worlds largest gun show is a hoot, though. A 40 cal. Kentucky flinter may be getting closer. In this State .40 is largest legal for squirrel and smallest legal for deer. Might be time to build myself a rifle. Maybe the perfect gun.
Arkansas has a limit on calibers for squirrels? I am pretty sure you can hunt squirrels in Illinois with any caliber.

Well one way to answer this question is to ask which gun do I have the most fun with. I gotta admit that my Pedersoli Bess Carbine is the most fun gun to shoot that I have. I have other guns that are more accurate and certainly have guns that are lighter, but for pure target smashing fun, the Bess takes the prize. It's kind of fun to give every one else on the shooting line a case of the flinches when I walk up to the line.

Many Klatch

Back